Jane
Jane
  • Dobson, NC
Asked on Sep 25, 2012

How do you get dog poop stain out of carpet?

Pat HerbstMDGloria Bryant
+15

It was my own fault that I didn't put my dog outside when we left for a few hours. Poor baby couldn't wait for us to get home. He had to go. Now I have a yellow stain. I've tried to get stain out but with no luck. Help.
  • Shari

We've been pet owners for more than 35 years and during that time, we've dealt with our fair share of pet related accidents and stains. I've tried many products and hands down, I think the best one is Woolite Oxy (Deep) Stain & Odor Remover. I've put it to some tough tests (including a dog diarrhea accident on WHITE carpet) and it has never failed me. I always buy it at Walmart. If you go to look for it, the spray bottle has had several different looks/designs in recent years but my current bottle is silver with a blue and white label. The word "Woolite" is prominately written on it They also make a concentrate to add to carpet steam cleaners and it is excellent too. In fact, you might have even better luck getting the stain out if you can use a steam cleaner on the carpet first. Just to back up my claim of how fantastic this product is, check out this blog post I wrote about how Woolite Oxy Deep saved the carpet in my former home after one of our dogs chewed open 7 large cans of cat food and got blood (from chewing open the metal cans) and oily cat food residue all over my carpet. http://mycottageofbliss.blogspot.com/2009/09/face-of-trouble.html

• We use resolve carpet cleaner. It does take some work, but we have been successful with that product. The carpet must be cleaned well, then rinsed well and dried using a shop vacuum or some terry cloth towels. Be sure once the stain is out and the carpet is still damp to re-fluff the nap so the cleaned spot blends in with the rest of the carpets nap. Otherwise it will stand out even once clean.

• Shari

@ Woodbridge... Before I found the Woolite Oxy, I used Resolve too and thought it did a pretty good job but once I tried the Woolite Oxy, there was absolutely no going back for me. The Woolite Oxy will actually make smaller stains disappear right before your eyes...without scrubbing or blotting! In 35+ years of owning pets, I've tried almost every new product that comes along (even some "professional strength" cleaners) and to date, I've had the best success with the Woolite Oxy brand. It's also not as soapy as Resolve. I always had a hard time adequately rinsing the soapiness out of the carpet after using the Resolve and we all know that any soap residue left in the carpet is a dirt magnet. (BTW, I have no affiliation with the company. I'm just a really, REALLY happy customer and love sharing with others when I find an outstanding product that I feel is worthy of praise.)

• That is great to know. I will put that info in my library for future use. Thanks!

• Jane

Thank you Woodbridge Environmental and Shari. I'm headed to Wal-Mart to buy Woolite Oxy. Thanks again for your help.

• Shari

Good luck, Jane. I hope it works well for you. Let us know, okay? One other thing I want to mention... I have found that some stains can penetrate deep into the carpet fibers or the carpet backing and then "wick" back up to the surface after you think the stain is gone. Depending how deep the stain went, you might see it reappear after a day or two. If that happens, just use the Woolite Oxy on it again. I have even worked the Woolite Oxy into the fibers and down to the carpet backing with my fingers. Then, after you have worked it in, you can place a clean, dry wash cloth or towel over the stain and put pressure on it with your foot or something heavy. This will help pull the stain up and out. Repeat as many times as necessary. The same dog who made the mess with the cat food cans and blood, got a quart of black latex paint off the kitchen counter and carried it onto the same carpet. (Yes, he was a handful!) The lid wasn't on the paint can tight so black paint dripped on the carpet. I had to repeatedly work on that mess because it would look clean but then after a short time, the spot would reappear as more paint traveled up the carpet strands to the surface. However, I was eventually able to draw every bit of the paint up and out by the towel & pressure method. Believe me, I feel like the "Martha Stewart" of carpet stains! :)

• Laura D

White vinegar and water. Amazingly it works on lots of different stains. Tried when I was desperate after trying a ton of products over 3 days and still looking at red kool aid, this took it out. Good luck.

• Gail Salminen

oxyclean works on most stains in our house. I took red wine off our white sofa and carpet after 3 days of drying. Comes in spray, liquid and crystals. This is my first choice when dealing with stains - good luck.

• Vivienne Long-Speer

I use baking soda & vinegar. Apply baking soda to the stain. Add baking soda & scrub. Let dry. Works well for urine & removes the smell.

• Kim

I had the same problem. Poop!!! I sprayed generously with white vinegar and dumped baking soda on very thick. Covered with a plastic (picnic throw away plate) put something heavy on top and just left it for 24 hours. Vacuumed it up and stain & smell GONE. If stain isn't completely gone just reap steps. Works every time ! Cheap fix :-)

• Mady

I used liquor and bathroom cleaner, so far it looks like it's doin my carpet justice lmao

• Brenda

My husband took care of that poo problem, He took up the carpit and now we have wood floors. Put I still smell the pea in the wood.
  • Cen8143259

Pour on peroxide
  • Pam Kneebone

simple green yellow,rub dry.Repeat if needed.
  • Gloria Bryant

A really good oxygen bleach called Stain Solver will clean almost anything from grout, to decks or siding, or even clothing. www.stainsolver.com/
  • MD

NEVER NEVER use Oxyclean or any products similar - My truly outrageously expensive oriental rugs were ruined when a friend suggested "this new product" years ago when Oxy first appeared on the market - Any Oxy product will leave terrible obvious blots where you try to clean - lightens and bleaches all it touches - Beware
    • Dorie

Thanks for your post. I was going to use oxygen on my new navy blue and white Persian rug. I wondered about using it with vegetable dye, good thing I saw your post. I'm lost as how to clean these dog spots😣
  • Pat Herbst

Get "My Pet Peed" over the internet. Works wonders, no yellow color , no odor left. Works great.