Judy Kelley
Judy Kelley
  • Pleasant Grove, AL
Asked on Nov 27, 2014

Rusted sink drain

GrandmaCarol SpeightWglindnerRav3n
+9

Can this be painted or do I need to replace? Thanks.
q how to fix a rusted sink drain, bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, painting
  • B

@Judy Kelley I would sand it with 220 grit sandpaper and then use a spray paint. I did this in a bathroom last year and it's still holding up well. Make sure you wait 24-48 hours before using.

• Cynthia Jensen

The color coating is painted on anyway. Might as well spray paint it and stretch its use a little longer.

• Venetia Kaseman

Excellent! I have the same problem. Will certainly be trying the spray paint ;-)

• Teri Mauerman Shehorn

Remove the stopper and sand well...here is a link on how to remove...http://homeguides.sfgate.com/drain-plug-out-bathroom-sink-37318.html this will allow you to sand the drain ring as well. Stuff a piece of cloth with a length of string tied around it down the drain, tie the string to the faucet, this will prevent anything from fall down into the drain while you're working and waiting for the paint to dry. Be sure to tape well around your drain ring and mask off the sink to prevent over-spray from sticking to the sink. Be sure to allow extra curing time because of the water element, would be a sad waste for it to not be fully cured and the finish not last. Good luck!

• Wglindner

Put vinegar white. Let sit there for 24 hour it will eat the rust. Clean up then get you some CLR let it sit in sink overnight. Surprize its all gone it may have a flake or two on it but just sand that off. You will have a pretty sit again.

• Sheryll S

@Wglindner CLR took the finish off of mine and I did not leave it on that long.... therefore ...... I really need to spray paint mine. Please do not do this if your ring is just in need of polishing or cleaning. CLR will ruin the finish.

• Marion Nesbitt

Have same problem but not with rust - discolouration. When I get around to it am going to see if I can polish the brass. If it doesn't work, spray bomb here I come.

• Rav3n

thanks for this info! My sinks are dong this and it is attached to the plumbing

• Wglindner

If the sink is stainless it should have been ok. But if its not real brass this would happen because I have used this for years. I tried this on a brass door kick plate. It said solid brass. But it wasn't. Cheap brass Nott good.

• Wglindner

I'm. Sorry that happen but I used this stuff for year. I bought a old cast iron four leg tub and it was rusted and it all came out. I'm sorry.

• GrandmaCarol Speight

Personally IF it is rusted I would replace the drain insert piece. Nothing will ruin your day more than draining a sink of water and you get to wash out under the kitchen sink,(OR bathroom vanity cupboard), wash your feet, and the respective floor as well with all the water on it from a rusted out sink-drain insert! Ask me! I have first hand experience with it!........lolol