Teresa C
Teresa C
  • Willow Spring, NC
Asked on Sep 25, 2012

Unknown - weed or flower

JaniceDebKathy
+15

Does anyone know what this is? It is growing in a raised bed in my vegetable garden.
unknown weed or plant?
unknown weed or plant?

Do you have a photo of the flower?

• R

It looks like Chinese Lantern (Physalis alkekengi) (Ground Cherry, Japanese Lantern) Hardy Perennial

• Teresa C

I have not seen it flower yet. I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully, more pics to follow. It does look like the Chinese lantern.

• R

In the bottom right corner of your picture it looks like one of the lanterns forming. It's still green.

• Teresa C

Yes, it has a few of the lanterns on it. I will continue to watch. Stay tuned.........

• Teresa C

This is the best pics I could get of the flower. Do you still think it is Chinese Lantern? Thanks in advance for all your help!

unknown weed or flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden bedsunknown weed or flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden bedsunknown weed or flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden beds

I think the flower looks right for Chinese lantern.

• Teresa C

Thanks everyone!

• Gayle P.

Is it poison or a weed?

it is neither, Gayle.

• Gayle P.

Does it make a flower like a lantern? Thank you Douglas H. for your response.

Yes, Gayle, it flowers, then the seed pod makes the lantern.

• Keri

They are very invasive too. Be careful

• TLC Lawn Care

Yes - very invasive!

• Kathy

It looks like a Tomatillo plant. AKA Husk Tomato or Mexican Husk Tomato - good to use in Salsa Verde and mexican cookin

• Deb

Looks like gooseberry to meI had some growing in the gutter seed must have been dropped by a bird I plante it on the ground near the house and now I have gooseberries

• Janice

Looks like the nettle patch my granddaughter just fell into . Thy are very painful reactions fromthem. Burning, stinging, blister type radhes...dig tnm out an be ure to use gloves!!!

• Janice

Tney are definitely an invasive WEED!