Mila Myk
Mila Myk
  • United Kingdom

DIY Sharpie Christmas Mugs

Cute and easy craft. And perfect gift for Christmas!
diy sharpie christmas mugs cute gift idea, christmas decorations, crafts, painting, seasonal holiday decor
You will need:
– oil based sharpie (water resistant)
– image/ letters templates (I just googled what I needed :))
– carpet knife or nail scissors (or both)
– ceramic mug
-painters tape or regular scotch tape
I asked hubby (oh so nicely:)) to cut out images and letters from the templates.(‘I’m not the man for the job’. My hands shake like crazy when I have to do something precise!).
You can use sharp nail scissors or carpet knife, whatever works better for you. Hubby used carpet knife.
I used painters tape to attach stencils to the mug and I was ready for ART ;)
Filling in the stencils is the best part!
You can make some adjustments to your drawing after you remove the stencil.It’s good to remove the stencil just right after you finish drawing. It’s easier to modify,when image is still wet.
Lots of stories going around when it comes to oven baking the mugs.
I read some tips here and decided to go with advice no 7:
- I used cheap mugs (£0.87 for a mug- score!)
– I put mugs in a cold oven
– I turned oven to 450 F (230 C)
– I baked mugs for 40 minutes( I gave my oven 10 min to reach 450 F)
– I left mugs in closed oven
– I let mugs cool in the oven for about 15 min
– I cracked oven open and left mugs inside for a night (I almost didn’t, because roast waited to be… well, roasted and eaten :))
And voilà!
Happy Crafting :)
Mila Myk

• Sto9987562

Did you find the sharpie ink came off, when washed? Or does the oven set it?

• Mila Myk

If you use oil based sharpie, you should be fine :) Never tried air drying, sounds good!

• Oil based Sharpies - I did not know there were other than the regular Sharpies. It just says permanent marker on mine.

• Mila Myk

I think producers clearly state when sharpie is oil based. It sound like you have a regular one.

• Mary

Won't come off with washing in a dishwasher?

• Mila Myk

Depending on the sharpie. If it's old and dried it may come off. It's better to buy new ones for this craft :)

• Mario

What I did was, signed the mugs several times around with the sharpie, verticaly. The signature looks like columns. I have three of them at my office, and because that, everybody knows they are mine.