Hanging Dish Towel Tutorial

$1.00

Here's my Hanging Dish Towel Tutorial!
You need a few supplies and about 20 minutes to make 2 Hanging Dish Towels.
hanging dish towel tutorial, home decor, how to, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
I bought my dish towel at the Dollar Tree. Mine is a microfiber towel but any dish towel will work. I used a scrap of fabric that was almost 18" x 18" so any fat quarter will provide enough fabric. The small scrap of interfacing or stabilizer is for your button holes. Find 2 buttons that coordinate with your fabric and towel.
Remove the tags from your towel but DO NOT unfold your towel!!
Cut your towel in half along the fold of the towel as shown in the photo below.
Now you have 2 towel halves.
DO NOT unfold them!
Now use your iron as your template to create your towel topper. You will need four topper pieces.
When you are cutting out your topper pieces, be sure to add about 1/2" seam allowance. Your seam allowance does not have to be exact because you will run your stitches along the line you drew to trace the iron. Do not sew the straight end closed.
Trim your seam allowances.
Turn your toppers right side out and press.
Cut your interfacing or stabilizer to the approximate shape of the pointy end of the topper. It will need to be about 2 inches long and narrower than the fabric.
Slide the interfacing/stabilizer into the topper and position it at the pointy end.
Make sure the interfacing/stabilizer is laying flat in the tip of the topper.
Now that your interfacing/stabilizer is in place you can sew your button holes. If you aren't comfortable with button holes, you can always skip the interfacing and button holes and add velcro or snaps instead.
Now turn under the fabric at the open in by about 1/2".

3 questions on this project

• Nhe24712250
    Jan 31, 2018

wow, what a clever idea using the iron as template. perfect shape. thanks.

• Kelli Murphy
    Apr 30, 2018

I’ve done many of these in recent years- (give them to friends, fam).

tried different shapes for the top, as I wanted to put through my fridge handle & the “fat triangle” thing wasn’t great for that.

also, if you have any pre- quilted fabric around, works better for the top. I buy inexpensive bath towels at Wally World, cut into 6 pieces, serge the raw edges, gather the tops a bit...

Add lace, eyelet, cheap trim for extra touch & to cover flaws. (Also- NEVER toss buttons w old clothes- they’re expensive & can always be used)