Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR
Asked on Sep 27, 2012

Pesky fruit flies, Cider vinegar and Dish soap..they are gone!

Miriam IBernice HDouglas Hunt

I had a list of handy hints, but you know how some of them really dont work. Well, all this produce I have been getting from the fruit stand= major invasion of flies. Apple cider vinegar , 1/2 small glass and a couple of drops of liquid dish soap....they love it I guess. I poured out the glass,and allll those little bitty bodies...and no more F flies in my kitchen. They were gone overnight! I could see the little bodies in the bottom of the glass, not that i am evil or morbid!

Thanks for the tip, Bernice. Always good to have something that's been kitchen-tested.

• Bernice H

Thanks @Douglas Hunt , I was amazed, when I looked through the bottom of the glass I could see all those little black spots, when I gently poured out the cider vinegar in the sink, there were soooo many, they must have been really loving this concoction. I am wondering if it was the vinegar that killed them or the dish soap. BUT IT WORKED LIKE SUPER! !I was skeptical at first! Maybe I should go back to the fruit stand and say, hey...do this. Or at the supermarket , many times they have fruitflies too! So how do we keep fruit flies from taking over our kitchen and fruit in the first place? Do you think dipping them in vinegar after rinsing, then storing would work? I do like to display some fruit on the counter.

• Miriam I

That's awesome, Bernice! I'm 'saving' your post for the next time someone asks about how to get rid of fruit flies!