Nancy @ ArtsyChicksRule
Nancy @ ArtsyChicksRule
  • Virginia Beach, VA

Old, Carved Desk Makeover W/Chalk Paint (thrift Store Find)

I found this old carved desk at the thrift store recently. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got it home and took a good look at it. (well, the obvious wobble was a little tell-tale) Anyway, it ended up needed a LOT of work. I had planned to paint it anyway but I don't think refinishing would have been an option even had I wanted to. I did, however, keep the top wood.
update idea with chalk paint for an old carved desk, chalk paint, painted furniture
It was in pretty rough shape before.
I painted it red and then put a coat of pale teal over the red (except for the inside of the drawer...I left that for a fun pop of color).
I lightly sanded the top and gave it a coat of Java Gel stain...great stuff!
I sanded pretty heavily all over to bring the red through. I was going for a teal and red look and love the result. The lighter paint over the darker really brings out the details of that carved wood.
Just to give you a tiny clue as to how much work this table/desk needed. (this photo is not even in the post linked below...I will be doing a follow up post in January to describe and show all the work that needed to be done and how we did it to repair it)
TO SEE THE FULL FINISHED PHOTOS, TUTORIAL AND DETAILS, PLEASE CLICK THE LINK TO MY BLOG POST PROVIDED BELOW >>>
Nancy @ ArtsyChicksRule

• Jane Thorwald

I once had an old trunk that had been painted by my father in law. I had it stripped and refinished by an expert and he said "paint protects the wood" so I now paint over wood and don't feel bad at all. Someday someone may thank me :)

• Linda Frederick

I Love it getting into some furniture makeover my self looking on your work has help