Beverly P
Beverly P
  • Sterling Heights, MI
Asked on Sep 29, 2012

Sweet potato vine

Margaret LaRoseDouglas HuntBeverly P
+3

I just pulled all my sweet potato vine and found tubers that look like sweet potatoes. Can I save these and start new plants next year? I have never grown them before so I am clueless here.
  • Gail Salminen

If you want to try to save them, place them in peat moss in a dry place in the basement for the winter. You may be able to start them in February or March indoors for a head start on the season. Not sure if it will work, but does work for Dahlias and Canna Lillies, done't see why it would be different for your tubers.

• Beverly P

Thats what I was thinking, hey it's worth a shot. I was just so surprsied to see them...but they have to come from somewhere so it must be the tubers.

You can absolutely save them, Beverly, and given the prices they get for the plants, you have a very good incentive to do so. Here's an article from Dave's Garden with good step-by-step tips: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2801/#b

• Beverly P

Wow, thanks Doug! Who'lda thunk it! I will try this in the spring.

Let us know how you fare, Beverly.

• Margaret LaRose

I have dug up my tubers in the fall and used them again and they worked fine.