DIY Peppermint Bath Bombs-- You'll Love These Festive Fizzies!

Looking for a festive DIY gift idea? These homemade peppermint bath bombs smell amazing and will delight everyone who uses them (my kids think they are magic!) Plus, it only takes 4 ingredients to make them. Go ahead, give them a try and you'll have a special and healthy (no harmful ingredients!) homemade gift for everyone on your list.
These peppermint bath bombs smell amazing and make great gifts! You can use cosmetic grade mica powder to color them if you wish but I kept mine as natural as possible and went without. Plus, they only use 4 ingredients and look adorable!
Here are the necessary ingredients,: 1 c. baking soda, 1/2 c. citric acid, 1/2 TB carrier oil (I used grapeseed) and 5-10 drops peppermint essential oil (or favorite oil of your choice)-- plus a spray bottle of water. Citric acid is actually easy to find-- check my post for sources for the citric acid and essential oil!
Next, sift together the powders in a medium bowl. Then mix the oils together in a small bowl, and pour into the medium bowl and mix well.
Spritz the mixture with water JUST until slightly damp. DO NOT OVER MOISTEN! (see blog post for more details). Mix well.
It should clump together a little when pinched, but don't oversaturate or it will fall apart when you take them out of the molds.
Pack to the top of a silicone mold...
... or to the top of a muffin tin. Pack it in, then cover with a paper towel and turn upside down over a cookie sheet covered in paper towels. Gently tap bottom of molds to release if needed, and then let dry over night. Check out the post for more 'after' photos, tips, and clever packaging ideas! http://makinglemonadeblog.com/homemade-bath-bombs-recipe-essential-oils-diy-gift-ideas/

Carrie MakingLemonade

• Rcz10865944

Could you use a lavendar oil or a orange oil instead of the peppermint????

• Karen Burleson

Yes you can I use lavender as a detox and it smells so good also if you use two be sure to divide the amount of drops (ie 5 lavender and 5 vanilla ).

• Burnie Ott

Does the vanilla have to be essential oil or can it be pure vanilla?

• Erica Smith

It needs to be essential oil to allow the aroma therapy and detox to work and the liquid from the extract would be to wet.

• Faith

do you have printer version for the recipe

• Martha Jay

Will it dry well enough that in a humid climate?
  • DJ

If you use peppermint essential oil is that skin safe for private areas? I used a soap made w peppermint oil and it was to tingly for female areas?

• Dscootermama

i would think that in a bath, dispersed in the water, it should be safe...there's only 5-10 drops of oil divided over however many bombs there are. you aren't applying them directly to your private area like you do soap. a standard bathtub holds about 35 gallons of water (or more) so that's pretty diluted.

• Mary Mechler

I made these and combined two oils in 4 different versions for some stocking stuffers. I tried one last night and there was absolutely no scent left. The bath felt great, but wondering whether there is a recommended use time to get the benefit of the scent as well?

• Veralucia Santos

Excelente!