Brooke N
Brooke N
  • Lake Jackson, TX

RIT Dyeing IKEA Slip Covered Sofa - Klippan

The process is amazingly simple. Soak your slipcover in the bathtub, start your washer and follow the directions on the bottle. I used a mixture of purple and fuchsia to come up with this eggplant color. It was absolute perfection. I adored my purple couches, and if you take a look at the RIT website, the options really are endless! They have a gorgeous honeysuckle rose, the perfect shade of aqua, and so much more. When it was time to move out of my apartment and into a home with my husband, I gifted both couches to a friend of mine. Her decor didn't include purple, however, so she bought two natural slipcovers and did a little dyeing of her own. As far as the dye, for the purple I used 5 boxes each. When I helped my friend dye them red, we just used one bottle per slipcover. It also calls for a good bit of salt, but one big container will be fine. I honestly don't know how much water you'd need if you're using a bathtub/container method. Hope that helps!
RIT dyed purple IKEA sofas
RIT dyed purple IKEA sofas
RIT dyed red IKEA sofas
RIT dyed red IKEA sofas
Brooke N

• Albert Leonard

Good infra and looking too nice and also well maintained.I really find the Slip Covered Sofa to be very elegant. I love them. I also found out slip cover in "reynascustomupholstery.com" website like you which Designs are wonderful.Thank you for sharing with us such a nice blog.

• Diane Read

I just bought a new slip cover for my chair and I wanted white but it is more of an natural brownish color. I was thinking about dying it white, do you think the white will cover this color okay?

• Barb in Texas

@Diane Read This is a bit like the people who constantly walk into my office supply store and tell me they need 'both' kinds of printer ink, the color ones and the black & white. I have a similar problem with some dropcloths I want to dye to make curtains, though, has anyone used the RIT bleaching formula first, or should I just stick to good old diluted Clorox? I read a tip from one woman who said she used borax to whiten her beige fabric first, I was thinking to try that first, and then bleach if it didn't work. I'm not trying to make them sparkling white, just lighten the beige color a bit before dying them.