DIY Dog Gate From a Bench - A Tutorial

A week ago I got sick of our temporary gate that we keep at the bottom of our stairs for our cocker spaniel (similar one here). We wanted a gate there to keep her from going into our daughters room and finding those tiny Barbie shoes and what-not and chewing them to pieces. We are nervous that one day she just might swallow one of those bad boys.
Every time that I go upstairs, I have to climb over it
diy dog gate from a bench a tutorial, home improvement, how to, pets animals
We removed the top of the bench and used the remaining parts to construct our gate.
Parts (1 & 4) were used for the main pieces to the gate and parts (2 & 3) closed the gaps to each side of the gate. We cut parts (2 & 3) in half to use on both sides of the main pieces as you will see below.
We screwed the pieces together using 3" screws and filled with wood glue. Once the gate was constructed, we gave it a good sanding and primed and painted it using Rust-Oleum's gloss white spray paint.
We fastened the two main parts of the gate with simple hinges that we also spray painted using Rust-Oleum's flat black paint, which gave the hardware a nice matte finish. The remaining hinges were fastened into the wall (in a stud of course) and to the front side of the gate.
Pretty simple and it serves its purpose.
Tyesha T