Asked on Dec 9, 2014

Need new drapes

Julies1949Gail SalminenMarion Nesbitt
+17

This is my living room currently. I know it's dark, and red cushions are only for Christmas, but I need new dramatic drapes. These ones are boring. I found some, but need advice.
  • Peggy
    Peggy

I like the fabric you have picked. I would have the drapes cover from ceiling to floor for the most dramatic effect.

• Lian Wright
      Lian Wright

Thank you...I appreciate your input....I'm going to go for it!! I'll post pics when done....let's hope they have 4 panels!!!

• Cyndie S
    Cyndie S

Great fabric choice-- will look awesome with your artwork. Super stylish! Show us an after pic.

• Lisa MacEachern
    Lisa MacEachern

agreed, love it, and def right to the ceiling, but I would paint the walls a very light aqua, and add a coffee table to stage with things the same colors as your drapes. Throw pillows in the teal color from your drapes.

• Lian Wright
      Lian Wright

Thanks Lisa, for your input & ideas....I'll keep them in mind, as I'm just doing the drapes for now...perhaps throw pillows too!

• Della Ravenscoft-Mash
    Della Ravenscoft-Mash

Swags and tails in the blue colour. And drapes in the fabric u have.

• Della Ravenscoft-Mash
    Della Ravenscoft-Mash

And as Peggy said. Floor to ceiling

• Sharon Ross Essary
    Sharon Ross Essary

I love your new fabric! I think your choice is a great one and it will definitely brighten up the room and make it more updated and current. Go for it and post pictures!

• Lian Wright
      Lian Wright

Thank you Sharon...I am going to go for it!! Now, lets hope they have 4 panels.....

• Sherry Fram
    Sherry Fram

Love the fabric! I agree floor to ceiling with the drapes. No swags or tie backs just drapes and use a rod that you can pull them open if you want. It's going to be beautiful! Love the art work above the sofa.

• Lian Wright
      Lian Wright

Hey Sherry...thanks for your input....I agree, no swag or tie backs...and I am able to open the,....a must in the day...ok I hope they have enough panels!

• Thej
    Thej

Don't forget to add more lighting to your lovely room!!!

• Lian Wright
    Lian Wright

Well it was night, and I tend to keep it dim & cozy....but I do have more lighting...duh! I should have turned them on for the photo eh! Haha

• Consider a heavier rod in bronze with great finials that expands the entire distance of the two windows...or is that a door on the left? Choose a less casual drape than a grommet top...perhaps rings. Make sure you have very full, lined panels...don't skimp as a full panel looks expensive. Your fabric is very nice.

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Like the idea of a rod with finials and rings. Personally, the look of bare wall between the top of the window frame and the top of the curtains really bugs me. I'd hang them at the top of the window frame to make a more cozy room..

• Gail Salminen
    Gail Salminen

@Lian Wright what I like about the drapes you chose is the potential longevity of them. To change the look of your room you choose different accent accessories with the number of colours in the fabric, and it has an interesting design without being too busy. I agree with the suggestion of going ceiling to floor. This fabric would also allow you many choices in wall paint. Do post your after pics. Thanks for posting.

• Julies1949
    Julies1949

what do you want to be the focal pint in your room? Normally people pick their fireplace, a great piece of art etc- not normally the drapes. I would keep your current drapes but get longer curtain rods that go wall to wall. I would stack the curtains back on the right and left sides. You have blinds so you don't need the drapes for privacy. I would choose a brighter piece of art for between the windows ( I'm assuming there is another window on the left).If the room is dark, the drapes aren't going to add light. I would layer in some more lighting- a taller lamp in the corner, and brighter lamps in other areas of the room that we can't see.