Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL

Garage falling apart

EbbjdlDana DoSherrie S
+269

This is a rental home I purchased about a year ago. None of this was seen by me or the home inspection company that reviewed the home before purchase. Any suggestions on type of contractor I need to fix this. Can you tell me how really bad it is?
outside garage crack in wall
outside garage crack in wall
inside garage crack in wall
inside garage crack in wall
Another crack inside by Garage Door
Another crack inside by Garage Door
Another view of inside by Garage Door
Another view of inside by Garage Door
250 of 272 answers
  • Sharron W

@Nichter's Home Services Corp , you always know just the right place to start looking! @Sherrie S I sure hope the answer is just that simple...let us know what you find out...

• Sherrie S

@Nichter's Home Services Corp I agree with staying off the drama boat. I will call a structural engineer because that sounds like the place to start. Thank you. When all is said & done I'll let everyone know how this proceeds.

• Sherrie S

Sharron W, I was more upset about the Heron & the Koi.

• Sharron W

Bless your heart Sherrie, I guess so....

• Becky H

Dad-gum Sherrie! I think the heron did it!!

• Sharron W

Ya know Becky you might have something there...LOL

• Sherrie S

I just called the original house inspector so he can tell me if I need a structural engineer or a good mason or both. Whoops, we all better go back to Rosie's.

• Jerry S

There is NO WAY a credible inspector should have missed this (and of course, you would have had to see it too! VERY noticeable. BUT, may be cosmetic...cracks following morter lines are really quite common and lots of times an elastomeric /morter/sand mix can remedy the look. If you had an earthquake, maybe...but look to the possibility of sink-holes if it happened fast...Best to you! Jl

• Becky H

Sherrie, let us know what the inspector has to say about your discovery AFTER he'd originally inspected this home!!

• Sherrie S

Jerry S, they are definitely cracks following mortar lines. Realtor bought a foreclosure & "fixed it up". Let me guess that the realtor/owner of the house knew how to cover it up. I have an appointment Tuesday with the home inspector. I'll let you know the outcome.

• Sharron W

It kind of looks like the garage was hit with a car to me....

• Gail Salminen

We recently had a news report on this kind of problem. Apparently the very dry weather up here caused a little more settling and cracks were appearing almost over night in garages around here. Not sure if you might be experiencing the same thing but a mason is sure to be able to advise you.

• Sherrie S

@Gail Salminen We, too, have had exceptionally dry weather. Anything is possible & that is why I called the home inspector & he told me he was sending one of his structural engineers to diagnosis it. That makes me feel good.

• Leida R

Sorry to hear about this, but Have you tried to speak to a HOME INSURANCE ADJUSTER??? NOT THE HOUSE INSURANCE PEOPLE THEMSELVES!!! Look into this, and pull out your Yellow Pages. That would have been my first thing to do in a similar situation. Let me know what happens, please.

• Sara C

yes, the inspector missed some very important aspects. We can blame this on overworked, understaffed companies. You definitely need a geotechnical engineer to check out your stuff (key is geotechnical... this studies the ground under the foundation)

• Sherrie S

@Sara C I really can't blame the inspector or myself as this was in no way apparent when I purchased the rental. @Leida R I have a high deductible on the home so I don't expect to collect insurance. I'll have answers on Oct 9 & will let everyone know the outcome. Thank you for the responses.

• Leida R

I could understand that you may have a high deductible on the home, but I think it is still your best bet. If I were you, I would still call one, and inform myself through one no matter what is going on with the case at the present time. They don't usually charge for the consultation. You should probably still do it. You won' regret it. I went through something similar myself. Someone advised me about it, and I didn't want to do it for many reasons. Then I went ahead, and spoke to one. To this day, I feel that it was the best thing I did for that situation. They are there to protect you, work for you, and fight for you. Lots of luck, and as you said keep us post it as it is always good to learn about this kind of issues.

• Peggy Murphy

My home suffer cracks in the stucco on the outside from an unusual earthquake that hit the Mid Atlantic area last summer. Flex Seal can be sprayed on exterior cracks to seal them. Then painted over. Cracks in the block or brick can be patched and sealed on the outside or inside with Quikrete hydraulic cement. Stopped all leaks in mortar and old brick in basement of my historic Annapolis, Md. home. Use gloves, a mask and a small trowel. Make only a very small amount at a time. Sets up in 3 minutes and can be used on wet areas and even thru standing water. Amazing stuff. Paint with waterproof paint afterwards. I thank my son for having the knowledge of the products and doing the job. Doesn't take long to fix it. Couple of hours. Good luck. It worked great on this old house.

• Sherrie S

@Peggy Murphy - Thank you Peggy but I don't feel qualified to determine the extent of the damage or who I need to fix it. On Oct 9 I have an appointment with a qualified inspector who will tell me what should be done.

• Susan S

@Peggy Murphy - I read you post about having damage from our EQ in Aug. 2011. I was surprised you had damage that far north. I'm located about 10 mi. from where the epicenter occured which was Mineral, Va. The schools in that area suffered extensive damage and also a little further west in the small town of Culpeper a number of buildings had to be demolished afterward. We were lucky to not have any damage to our home but it sure scared the #@_)&^% outta us!!!

• Step cracking such as this indicates that there has been some settlement of some sort in the foundation. The weakest part of the wall is the bonding area (mortar) between the block. To figure out where the movement occurs. you need to look at the direction of the crack and draw an imaginary line at a right angle to the crack. This is typically the area in which most of the movement has occurred. Has there been any digging in that area, sudden drop of soil? What about gutter drainage? All of which can be a cause of this. You said that you had the building inspected when you recently purchased it? And that there were no apparent issues at that time? Go back and look carefully at the areas of the crack. Do they appear that they have been filled and then reopened? ? Where they opened up, is there any paint in the crack, or just on the outside? A structural engineer is the person that I would suggest you bring in. But before you do, you need to determine if this was a one time thing that just happened when it did or if it is continuing to happen. A visual inspection by anyone, including an engineer, or foundation expert that sells services cannot tell you if any additional movement will occur again or not. So you need to do a little checking on your own. And it is quite simple to do. Take a microscope slide made of glass or go to the local glass shop and have them cut you four or five pieces of window glass, the thinner the better, about one inch wide and four inches long. Then take some five minute epoxy and put a dab of it on each end of the glass and adhere firmly it across the crack on the wall. Put enough of it on each side but none where the glass bridges over the crack and wait. Keep checking the glass every few days afterwords. If the glass cracks. Make a note of which one cracks first, 2nd etc. If no cracking occurs after several months, then most likely this was a one time issue and the movement has stopped. If the glass cracks again, this tells you that the foundation under the wall is failing and needs to be supported by underpinning. This is simply digging next to the structure, placing either jack posts that lift the foundation back up if need be, or pouring additional foundation next to the old where steel pins are fastened to both to create a larger foot print to support the sagging foundation.

q garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, Common locations for cracks to appearq garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, a method of supportq garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, One of many other methods of supportq garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, and again another method of support
  • Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation. I'm going over to the house with your notes today as the building inspector is coming tomorrow. You need an office in my area.

• Keep us posted on what is found. My biggest concern is that this was a hidden issue that was covered over by the past owner. This can be determined by looking up close to the cracks to see if there was any material that appears to have been filled in and painted over. The door frame photo sort of looks like it was filled in. Was there any disclosure about this from the past owner?

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com No there was no disclosure. I had a detailed write up from the home inspector but I believe I left it at the rental. I will see if I can find it. I can always get a copy if I don't find it.

• I suggest that you take detailed notes on this issue. Also lots of photos, close up and away. Have you checked your insurance on this damage? Perhaps it is covered? Worth looking into. All they can say is no.

• Leida R

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com my advice to @Sherrie S is to speak to a home insurance adjuster before she would even bring it up to the insurance company because the insurance co. would always try to come out clean without helping financially with the costs whereas the adjuster will fight with them for one. It's all good, and all that she is dealing with the problem on trying to fix it, but what about the money to pay for all that. Sherrie, I'm telling you go that route, and you will not regret it.

• Leida, I assume your speaking of a Public adjuster? I would agree with that, but the proper protocol is to contact the insurance company first, Otherwise they can deny coverage if they were not told of this in a timely manner.

• Leida R

Yes a PUBLIC ADJUSTER, but for homes. Ok. then, about contacting her insurance company first to notify them of whats happening, but I did not do it like that because I contacted an adjuster right away as I was advised by a friend to do as soon as it happened. The adjuster I got did all the talking with the insurance, and I will tell you it was the best thing I did, but yes by all means I could understand what you mean about notifying the insurance co. because of possibly time manner issues.

• Sharron W

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com I wanted to tell you eariler but I had to run the dog back to the vet, you are SO AWESOME! Your explantion and the photo's of solutions for foundation problems, (if it comes to that); is so clear and precise and so detailed, I really admire people who are willing to take the time to share their knowledge and expertise and in this case in particular. I know Ms Sherrie is going to benifit from having that information, even if all it does is help her better understand "Whatever " her inspector/enginering guy tries to explain to her happened here... So you really have my admiration on this, nice job and thanks from all of us for being so willing to share....

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental I will talk to the insurance company once I find out what is wrong. We checked the wall today & it doesn't look like anybody tried to hide this. They painted & cleaned up everything so the paint was not unusual. @Sharron W , you are correct about Woodbridge. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Sharron thanks for the kind words. As someone who has been doing home inspections for more years that I like to admit. I fully understand what people are concerned about and how things worked out for them. I enjoy doing this and have been doing this long before even HT came into existence. And will continue to do so. My primary reason for this is that I have quite of an extensive library and personal experience. And as with any other thing, if you do not use it, you loose it. So doing this keeps me on top of my game and it helps me learn a lot from many of the others here that have a lot of experience in what they do as well. Kevin at KMS is just an example of those in the know.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental KMS helped me recently & the information he provided was absolutely necessary. Why don't both of you join forces, open an office & retire here.

• If I lived where he did, Neither one of us would relocate. I doubt you could pry him out of the state in which he resides. Me on the other hand. I would move in a second but our yellow horse does not like to much sun anyway.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Oh, oh bad news. I had a construction company rep visit today. He says it appears to be a sinkhole. Now re: insurance - the sinkhole loss coverage was removed so all that remains is Catastrophic Ground Cover Collapse. To meet the "collapse version" the structure must be condemned & ordered to be vacated. I haven't called my insurance company yet. I'm too unhappy to talk right now.

• Wow, so sorry to hear that. Did you folks remove the coverage? or was it the insurance company? Is there a way to determine how large a hole it is? Can it be pumped full with something to save the building if it is not to big or deep? Keep us posted.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com the insurance company removed all but Catastrophic & I didn't request the other sinkhole coverage which then was optional. I think I will call the insurance company & see what they have to say.

• Becky H

@Sherrie S I am SO sorry to hear this!! I'm inclined to believe your insurance co. canceled the provision for sink hole damage as most have been doing (along with canceling the provisions for mold). We've had neighbors who've had sink holes develop on their property and have had cement companies come in and pump tons of cement in under their homes. One of them had cement trucks pumping for weeks on end, before they learned there had been a spring under the home, and all the cement was flowing way along that spring tunnel before actually beginning to fill under their home. Fortunately, this was before ins. began canceling our all the sink hole coverage. Question: Is there some geological group who can scan your lot and determine just how large this might be? If it's a common size, then pumping the cement in won't be cost prohibitive. Since it's rental property, can this be used as an "expense" to help you realize some savings on your costs?

• Sherrie, I would contact a public adjuster also. They are in your corner and will fight for you to get what service you deserve from your insurance company. We will keep our fingers crossed that it all works out for you.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com I'll first report to my insurance company & then take @Leida R & your advice and call a public adjuster. Thank you everyone. This is a nasty month - First heron ate many of my KOI - I have at least temporarily stopped that with birdnetting & rocks across the entire pond. Now this. I think I'll go to bed for the rest of the month.

• Leida R

SO SO SORRY to hear about all these happenings, but there is always "a light at the end of the tunnel", my SISTA!!! Do call an Adjuster, and you will see just how things will start to shift to your favor (HOPING) as far as this rental is concern. Please continue being strong, and yes keep us posted.

• Sharron W

Oh Sherrie, we were so hoping for a more positive outcome! Praying that a second opinion and further tests will show it's not as bad as you think...

• Sherrie S

I won't have a breakdown until it is necessary. One little step at a time. After reading all the policy exclusions I'm beginning to wonder what is covered.

• Shari

Oh Sherrie, I'm so sorry. I was hoping it was something else but didn't I (and a couple other Floridians) say from the get-go it could be a sinkhole? I think someone from another state even said it probably isn't a sinkhole and we all shouldn't jump on the "drama boat." Those who don't live here in Florida just don't get it. They don't understand how common sinkholes are in Florida, and how devastating and expensive they can be. Leida R. gets it. Becky H. gets it. I get it. We're all from the same general area and we all have had friends or neighbors who have been through this nightmare. And of course the insurance company is going to try to get out of covering it. So typical! But I bet they didn't reduce your premimums when they reduced your coverage, did they? Ultimately, "condemned" is the route my neighbors in the house just a stone's throw from me had to go. So sad. I think Leida's advice to get someone on your side with experience negotiating with insurance companies is good. It certainly couldn't hurt but hopefully it will help swing things in your favor. Good luck.

• Sherrie S

@Shari I am so surprised at stupidity of insurance companies. This is not yet a big problem so it is not covered. If I wait long enough for it to be declared condemed and ordered to be vacated - then it is covered. How smart is that. @Leida R is correct.

• Sherrie S

To add insult to injury my insurance broker told me NOT to place a claim as I could never again get insurance on that house. That is a 100% lie. I just read Florida Law doesn't allow that.

• Leida R

@Sherrie S I'm glad you are starting to see my point. If I tell you that I knew you were going to go through all this with your insurance, you would probably think that I am lying. I know what I'm talking about. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DEAL WITH THE INSURANCE GET YOU SELF AN ADJUSTER. I had asked u to call me, but I guess u have not check your e-mail.

• Leida, one needs to be careful when dealing with insurance companies, I totally agree on the public adjuster, however there are polices from what I understand that requires the owner to inform them as soon as they believe they have a claim. And going out of order on this just may forfeit the policy to the policy holder. As we both understand its not in the insurance companies nor the broker best interest to pay out claims. They do what ever they can to prevent paying on them. And they will use any loopholes that they can find to get them out of paying the bill. This is why insurance public adjusters do so well. But good for you to help Sherrie out, being a Floridian I assume you understand what is going on there much better then I up north.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com this is Florida. I called my agent & told him I wanted to file a claim. He told me I shouldn't because I could never get insurance from any company again. Scare tactics. I did email a public adjuster today to find out what I should do next. I'll be back soon with results.

• Becky H

@Sherrie S Who is your insurer? Sounds like the same experience I had when the cold water line in the kitchen blew and flooded our entire house. We'd had ins. with the same company for 25 years and never, ever filed a claim. When the adjuster came in, he was abusive and left me more upset than before I ever saw him. I told hubby I wish we'd known enough to self insure from the first day of our marriage; we'd be multimillioneres by now and could easily afford to pay out for damages.

• Leida R

@Sherrie S there you go. RIGHT MOVE!!!

• Sherrie S

@Leida R I surely will let you know what happens soon. @Becky H It is ST John's one of the many companies that I have had when State Farm and/or Allstate dropped me although I never had any claims. Insurance companies have so many exclusions that I wonder what we are paying for. They should simplify it & just tell us what we HAVE.

• Leslie D

yep, it's scare tactics. An insurer cannot drop you because of a claim; however, they can refuse to renew your policy at their whim in most states. I've filed a flood claim on a rental house in Colorado with Allstate, and they did not renew my policy. I had no issue getting insurance on the house. I am now filing a wind damage roof claim on that same house with my current insurer, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens once they determine if that claim will be paid.

• Leida R

I just don't understand why you would want to deal with the insurance companies yourselves. Is it that most people DON"T know about PUBLIC ADJUSTERS??? Please tell me.

• Sherrie S

@Leida R yes it is because we don't know what they are. I finally googled enough to understand and I thank you very much.

• Becky H

@Leida R you've guessed correctly! How does one reach a Public Adjuster? @Sherrie S ours is State Farm; after we filed for the flood, we were told by our agent State Farm was dropping a lot of policies, and ours might be one of them. I told hubby that would be fine, as we carry umbrella, 4 vehicles, homeowners, etc. with the same insurance co.. If they dropped our homeowners, we'd move every policy to the next company too. After all the hurricanes, ins. co.s have really shown their butts to everyone, and that was after decades of very calm hurricane seasons. So, now, you can buy insurance on everything except what commonly occurs in your own state. Whoopie!

• Leida R

@Sherrie S thanks for responding. I guess I could feel better now. it is just that I felt like I was talking non-sense because no one would say anything about it except for Woodbridge after I mentioned it.

• Leida R

@Becky H go to the web and type public adjuster Tampa, Fl, and you will get a list of the ones in your area. Better yet if you know of some one who use one. In other, words by reference.

• Leida R

I know INSURANCE COMPANIES don't want one to know about ADJUSTERS because ADJUSTERS are not on the INSURANCE COMPANIES' sides.

• Sherrie S

@Becky H I bet we could get blizzard insurance with any company. @Leida R I wanted to give you 500 likes but I'm only allowed one. Thank you.

• Leida R

@Sherrie S I did not mean to OVERWHELM you with the ADJUSTER's thing, but I am happy that you now understand that I only wanted to help you. I went through some damages at my house myself, and the ADJUSTER did very well for me.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - wow, you sure have your plate more than full!! It always seems like when it rains it pours. I can only empathise w/you but it sure sounds like Leida knows what she's talking about. Unfortunately, the reality is that we pay these ins. companies our premiums for years & years but the first time you need them they try every trick in the book to avoid paying your claim and almost make it sound like it's something you did to cause the problem. You know all the Rosies are pulling for you and certainly hope there's a reasonable solution that isn't too costly to fix and doesn't turn out to be as bad as you are thinking right now. Also, your scare crow should be here in a couple more days and you can quit Koi-sitting and start sleeping past 7 a.m. again!!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S I found covering the entire pond with birdnetting stopped the heron since Saturday. I was waiting in front of the window when heron came for breakfast, he looked up & saw me and took off. Feeling ugly the next day I put a picture of a bear in the window & heron looked up & saw it and left. Today is day 5 with no fish loss. Now back to sink hole & talking to adjuster @Leida R. I sent adjuster pics.

• Shari

@Leida R I have to say I was not previously familiar with public adjusters. If we don't know anyone who has used an adjuster that we can get a personal referral from, how does one go about selecting a good/reputable public adjuster from the list obtained in an internet or phone book search? Is there some way to check them out...like the BBB, or a state licensing/monitoring agency? This would be good information to have BEFORE an insurance problem arises so we are all better prepared and informed.

• Sherrie S

@Shari I thought about all the the questions you are now asking Leida but I have to take my chances now since my options are -0-. I may be able to provide you with references later because the company I'm speaking with is in Tampa.

• Shari

Thanks @Sherrie S. I'm "knocking on wood" I'm not in your shoes one day but I'm definitely not immune inasmuch as I am in a primarily agricultural area where the farmers run their sprinklers a lot (which depletes the underground aquifer and makes the ground unstable). All the farmers are planting their winter strawberry plants now and sprinklers are running everywhere around me. (Fortunately, we've had a lot of rain so the aquifer should be high.) If we have a very cold winter, the strawberry farmers run the sprinklers continuously during any freezing temps to keep a protective coating of ice around the berries. And, anytime we are experiencing a drought, the ground can get unstable due to a lower than normal water level in the aquafer. Although I enjoy reading most all of the posts on HomeTalk, this one has certainly been one of the most interesting, informative, and potentially beneficial threads to me. Thanks for posting about your dilemma in the first place and I hope you will continue to update us all as you go through this process.

• Becky H

@Shari I'm just about ready for those farmers to begin doing what the grove owners use to do during freezes...........burn tires! What bugs me is why don't they use propane heaters or something? This drawing all the water out of the aquifer is generating so many hazardous ripple effects!

• Sherrie S

@Shari I really lacked total knowledge of options since I have never had a claim on any home. I'm getting smarter; hopefully not too late. I will keep everyone here informed.

• Metro Public adjusters is one of the countries largest adjusting firms, you may find them as one of the many in your area. Anyone who is looking for one will find all adjusters are licensed in their state with the department of banking and insurance. And as long as there is no complaints to them through the state, you will be fine.

• Leida R

@Shari your question to me is an excellent one, but in all HONESTY, I don't know the answer to it. I guess, I was just lucky that a friend of mine knew of them because of a situation he had at his house, and he referred me to his adjuster. Maybe some one who reads your question will kindly come in an answer it for all of us. I do know there are commercials on tv, ads on the bus stops benches, bill boards, and lots of info in the internet, but people just over look them. I guess it is so because they DON'T know what adjusters really are about. What I could advise to YOU/ALL is to go to the web, type public adjuster (plus one's city and state), and just go through the adjusters who are listed. If they have a video by all means watch it. I guess I could say that I'm glad I mentioned them so that the HT community can be informed, but please do, take my apology for not being able to answer your question.

• Shari

@Becky H I whole-heartedly agree. I like strawberries as much as the next person, and I realize the strawberry farmers depend on a successful crop to survive financially but there is something not quite right when strawberries take priority over peoples' homes. You might remember January 2010 was one of the coldest winters we've had in many years...we had 10 straight days of freezing temps and the farmers ran their sprinklers 24/7 the entire time. I remember watching a segment on the local news about a massive sinkhole in Plant City that swallowed a woman's whole home. One minute it was there...and in a blink of an eye it was completely down in a hole. Until I was looking through the pictures to upload here, I had forgotten that in addition to the sinkhole that opened at the side of the dirt road that leads to our property, we also had a small sinkhole in one our pastures during that same time. My husband wondered aloud, "Why is the fence post sagging?" and as he walked closer to the fence the answer was "Oh." We had only bought our horse farm property 2 months before that bad winter and had no idea the sinkhole issues were so bad over here.

q garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, January 2010 West central Florida strawberry field covered in iceq garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, January 2010 Who says Florida doesn t get coldq garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, January 2010 West central Florida orange grove covered in iceq garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, January 2010 West central Florida orange grove covered in iceq garage falling apart, doors, garage doors, garages, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows, January 2010 icicles along a west central Florida rural road with frozen strawberry field in the background
  • See More
  • Sherrie S

@Shari I heard so many horror stories about Tampa so I was aware of sinkholes -just not in my area which is 125 miles from Tampa. I guess the whole State of Florida is one big sinkhole waiting to happen.

• Here is a good web site that explains a bit more in detail what is happening in the earth below you fine folks in Florida. http://www.sinkholes.com/sinkhole-causes/ In addition they offer all sorts of ideas on solutions to this very important issue. Worth the read.

• Becky H

Yes @Shari, I have pictures of my frozen pond and birdbath from that year. It was a gruesome year for freezes and sink holes. Yet, they still haven't come up with a viable alternative to preserving their crops. The millions of dollars damage done by sink holes and the water restrictions we have to go on afterwards are testiment to how much water is consumed in this fashion.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com in the last 2 days I have learned a lot. I am amazed (so far) with the public insurance adjuster I had contacted by email. Later today they will be calling me. After reading what the CONTRACTOR I hired to look at the house wrote about it I'm surprised the house is still standing.

• Shari

Ohmygosh @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com !!! The information on that website just made me realize we could potentially have several "Solution Sinkhole" issues on a section of the dirt road that leads to our property. There are multiple depressions in the road that keep coming back, despite being filled and refilled with dirt. The worst "pot hole" in the road is right out in front of the old sinkhole. (Duh!) I keep joking that I need to trade my compact car in for a 4x4 truck because when it rains, the depressions fill up with water and it's like going "mudding." My husband had mentioned several times that we should get the neighbors together and see if we can all split the cost to have the road graveled. (It's privately owned by the residents of the 5 homes along the road, not the county. Our property just happens to be at the road's dead end so we are the ones who are most affected since we have to traverse the entire length of the road when we come and go). I'm going to show him that link because after reading it, I'm not so sure gravel is the solution for the problem since more could be going on here. Thanks for sharing! @Sherrie S : Yep, "one big sinkhole waiting to happen" is probably a pretty accurate description. @Becky H : Agreed!

• Thought you might find that info helpful. You may want to get the township involved if this appears to be a re-occurrence issue. Not sure what they can do, but they may have some ideas on how to protect yourself or can send out their township engineer to determine if there is something else much bigger going on in your development. You may also need to speak to an attorney regarding the protection of your rights if indeed there is something else happening that could be much worse. He or she may suggest other things that you should be doing. Just a thought.

• Shari

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com good advice and food for thought but I'm not optimistic about any help from the county based on previous experience. When we had the sinkhole on the side of the road, my husband tried his hardest to persuade the county to at least provide us some leftover dirt from some other country road project and he would use our tractor to do the labor. No go. The 700 feet of road is 100% the responsibility of the 5 property owners along it. Period. The end. Since we are at the dead end, we have the most interest and motivation in keeping the road reasonably maintained and safe, particularly since we regularly have heavy horse trailers and the people who board their horses with us always coming and going.

• Sherrie S

@Shari I'm sorry to hear about your problems with sinkholes because it takes a licensed structural engineer and/or geotechnical engineer and the cost is horribly high just to find out if you do have a sinkhole - If you do, then the real costs begin. I'll be able to tell you more by tomorrow.

• Shari

Sorry @Sherrie S : this comment is completely off topic! @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Hey, I didn't realize you were a "horsey" person. Beautiful horse on your featured photos! One of my daughter's horses was used for some scenes in a movie that was filmed in Tarpon Springs, Florida. You can see a glimpse of the leading actress riding her at 1:23 in the movie trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtqbwCoUH6E&feature=plcp And if you're interested, here's a short video of one of the scenes being filmed on location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl41EMTNNXM Such a fun experience! Edited to add: For some reason, I can't get that second link to work on here. :(

• Leida R

@Shari My advice to you/all is to speak to a Public adjuster in order to discuss what problems you could see possibly happening to your properties, and of course show them your current policies. There are some numbers written on your policies that the Adjusters will recognized, and they can advise you all as to what insurance (not company) to take for your investments (homes) before any of you might regret not having been informed of the avenue you all should have taken. I know a little bit about this because I was going to go in this field, but Florida's law changed in that respect. They made it a lot harder for one to become an ADJUSTER, and I decided not to continue dealing with it at that time because I was dealing with other things that were just as complicated.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - I'm following this story w/a lot interest. As I said earler, I can only empathise but one never knows when a problem like this may land on their door step. There have been a number of cases fairly close by of these enormous sink holes suddenly opening up. It's really a scary thought. I assume you currently have a tenant in this house??

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com I LOVE horses. Post all you want.

• Sherrie S

@Susan S Yes, I have an 87 year old friend who loves the house or I might just wait for it to fall into a hole & be condemned and vacated since that is the only way the insurance company will pay for anything. Unbelievable but I have it in writing.

• Leida R

@Shari thanks for sharing about your daughter's horse. How pretty it is. Btw, I think I have seen that house in Tarpon Springs. How ironic is that?

• Sherrie S

@Leida R where did you see the horse? Oh this place is like Rosie's.

• Susan S

I looked for the post wthe link to the horses but I couldn't find it either!! @Sherrie S - isn't it just totally ridiculous that rather than wait for a property to literally fall into a hole- they'll pay for that, but to put out the effort of keep that from happening - not so much!! That's the "gag a gnat & swallow a camel" syndrome Yeah, this is a little like Rosies - but since it's your post you can do as you darn well please!!

• Leida R

@Sherrie S HAHAHA!!! To see the horse go up 8 comments, and it is a @Shari comment that starts with: Sorry Sherrie S : this comment is completely off topic! ....

• Leida R

@Sherrie S any update on you rental situation?

• Sherrie S

@Leida R I am waiting for the phone call from the insurance adjuster. Yes @Susan S it is zero $$ from insurance for the sink hole or full coverage if the home is condemned and vacated. To get the only people that can decide what it is & what it will take to fix it costs well over $10,000. The next cost is fixing it. I have no idea of what that costs.

• Its Really Concrete, Inc.

it appears to be a foundation issue possibly due to soft or uncompacted soils under it

• Yea Sherri, Were horse people. Buffy on my profile page has been high point horse in the nation for two years running. She has won every title you can with her. We travel all over the US with her. Last year over 23,000 miles from OK, to Iowa, to Jacksonville and back. Currently she is # 2 color horse in the nation. But that will be short lived as were done showing for the year to catch up on some bills. We keep her at BBH Stables http://www.bbhstables.com/home.html where some of the best riders in the country stay and train. But were the only real western rider there, but that is fine as everyone there simply loves her. I am also the chairman for the Ride for the Cure event that my wife and I started last year to raise money for the Susan G Komen foundation. Last year we raised close to $53,000 and this year were on track to break $60,000. Check out our web site at www.komenridenj.org and see what I am up to now.

• Sharron W

Wellll Congrats to Woodbridge....how thrilling to know someone, (even if only on the net) that has such a lovely animal and is showing it successfully...AND raising money for Susan B all at the same time! Way to GO!!!!

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Buffy is beautiful & so is her vacation home at BBH stables. Don't you miss her when she is gone? It is wonderful that you are raising money for cancer.

• Do not miss her at all. See her enough on weekends and in rear view mirror when driving to and from shows. Our family had a large facility many years ago, 35 horses, Got tired of them, hired a young lady who ended up being my wife, sold the farm, and have not looked back. Been boarding for over 30 years. We are just now starting to look for a place to keep around 10 horses. Why? I have no idea, but were slowing down a bit, so I figure or should I say my wife figures that it would be better to have them in the back yard again. My wife is a survivor of over 25 years. That is why I got involved in doing that ride. I cannot tell you in words the emotions we have when we did the event last year. As the ride is on the same day as her operation when she kicked it.

• Sherrie S

RE: insurance adjuster - a little more info sent to him today - It doesn't look good for me but I haven't given up. We will be talking again tomorrow.

• Leida R

Good luck to you any way my dear!!!

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com & @Leida R Insurance pays zero since they call every earth movement a sinkhole. I will get references from the insurance adjuster which is great. Final idea: My well man is an old guy that knows all about rock formations, sink holes, etc. I have a call into his office to discuss this. He installed the well at the rental house.

• Leida R

WOW!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Insurance companies always seem to have the lead. In regards to the references from the adjusters, I don't understand that part. How would that help u?

• Sherrie S

@Leida R The adjuster cannot change the law made effective 2011 by our legislators in Florida. I don't blame insurance companies, I blame the legislators that OK'd this. Since the adjuster knows a lot about sinkholes I think their references will help me find a qualified contractor. I asked the adjuster for a reference.

• Leida R

I see. : (

• Sherrie, one of my last posts had an engineering firm that can provide help for this. Pumping cement under the foundation appears to be the method of repair.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com I have bookmarked the firm you suggested & they are in Florida which is great. I also will be speaking with an old, old guy who dug the well at the rental, my home and many other homes in this subdivision & knows a lot about rock formation, sinkholes, etc. More later.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com - The 1st qualified contractor quoted approximately $10,000 for sinkhole testing. I asked if this would guarantee anything & it really doesn't. So I said OK, how much to fix it and monitor it with NO sinkhole testing. Total Cost including painting would be $3000. He wrote "We will also place testing equipment to determine if there ongoing movement, and show you how to monitor for future movement." I will be getting one more proposal today for sinkhole TESTING and/or fix.

• Susan S

WOW!! I've been following this Sinkhole Saga and it seems like any kind of soil abnormality in Fl. is classified as a sinkhole!! I've been wondering if the ground outside the garage where the crack is has any depressions or low places that would indicate that it's sinking? Also, has the floor inside the garage cracked? I guess I'm just not quite understanding how a crack that follows the mortar lines gets translated into automatically being a sinkhole?

• Sherrie S

@Susan S The ONLY way to tell what is below the house is to hire a Geological engineer. It could be just a settlement. I will be getting another bid this morning for Geological testing. The insurance companies made sure that ANY ground movement is a sinkhole that they will not pay for UNLESS it is a catastrophic loss.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com @Leida R @Susan S This is the 2nd and final proposal. What do you think? I spoke with our Chief Geotechnical Engineer and the cost would be a maximum of $3000 for us to visit the site, perform two borings to 50 feet and perform additional inspection and test pits at the house. For this price we will issue a sealed report which describes our findings and a recommended stabilization protocol (as warranted). You may have a small sinkhole/subsidence feature only affecting that portion of the house which wouldn't be too expensive to remediate.

• Sherrie S

Whoops, the 1st contractor's price is $3,800, not 3,000.

• Regardless if it is a sink hole or just settlement, both require an engineer evaluation to determine the cause and the fix. While a sink hole is much worse of an outcome, this amount of dropping in such a short time, combined with the house being a bit older and not just constructed indicates that there is something worse going on then just settlement. Normal foundation failures (settlement) shows up slowly over a period of time. Which from the answers to questions early in this post tell us that this was not the case. Abnormal settlement where cracks show up fast indicate that something has undermined the foundation causing a sudden drop due to lack of support. As the foundation was acting like a bridge that has failed. This happens a lot in areas where the water table is high and water undermines the foundation footing. After a time this causes the foundation to fail and the drop occurs fairly fast. Add to that Sherrie has seen soil dropping in other areas that surround her home indicates that some sort of geological issue is occurring under and around her home.

• This sounds about fair. Figure a engineer fee normally is around a grand or so to do a structural finding report and evaluation. Adding two 50 foot holes into that mix. Sounds good to me. However remember I am up north where costs are really high for this type of work normally. So you need to compare prices for that work near you. I would assume this is a common type of evaluation however so this may be the reason for this fee. But it does sound ok to me in any case. Being a Max price, I would say go for it. It is better knowing then not.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - I'd be the last person on earth to try to offer you any advice on your issues. I have way more questions than answers!! I'm not sure I'd ever want to live in Fl. I had no idea all the soil down there was so unstable. Take that and couple it w/what is being said about global warming and the ocean levels rising, you guys down there are gonna be totally under water one of these days anyhow!!

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com I made the same decision to get the geological testing. The 1st contractor tried to scare me & when that didn't work he came up with the fixit till it breaks. After testing they will tell me what & how much it will take to fix it. Actually the cracking is only at the garage, I think. The driveway has some cracks but they were there when I bought the house. Thank you.

• Susan S

Is this house where your 80 something year old friend lives? The one who doesn't want anything to do w/new fangled contraptions like computers?

• Sherrie S

@Susan S Yes, she is 87 and she works about 30 hours a week. She won't touch a computer and drives like a wild woman.

• Susan S

She sounds like the little ole Lady from Pasadena!!

• Becky H

@Susan S Unstable ground???...........Fla. is a huge retirement village. We don't have unstable ground, we have instant, free grave digging for the recently expired (on an extremely low income and little insurance).

• So Becky, that explains why all the older adults retire there, holes are already dug by nature. LOL Guess it makes the well water taste a bit funny though.

• Becky H

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com , Yeah, that definitely accounts for the eggy, sulfa flavored well water some experience in their homes, but.............it's great for our lawns!!! .............and all that time you thought everything grew in Fla. from the subtropical heat...........When Fla. recycles............we RECYCLE!!

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com The geological engineers will be doing the ground testing 10/24/12. Then I find out what to do next. My insurance company told me I do have total/complete coverage for sinkholes on my own home.

• Becky H

Thank goodness for that @Sherrie S !!

• Sharron W

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com HaHaHa....That made me Laugh out loud!!! Makes the well water taste funny...Lol @Sherrie S Oh that is the best thing I've heard in a week, I know that takes a load off your mind!!!!

• Sherrie S

@Sharron W @Becky H - not a lot off my mind yet. My rental is falling into a sinkhole without sinkhole insurance coverage. My home across the street is fully covered for ALL sinkholes or ground movement. I'm in a good mood because I will get definitive answers about the rental next week.

• We will keep our fingers crossed for you.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - QUICK!! Pack your stuff and move across the street - file a change of address, backdated to before the sink hole or cracks appeared, and claim your rental as your permanent abode! So, let me see if I understand this. You can get sinkhole ins. on your private home but not on rental property you own? At least the rental is close so you can keep an eye on things.

• Sherrie S

@Susan S I could have purchased the additional sinkhole coverage for the rental for hundreds of dollars a month but I didn't do it. Now I may find out that hundres of $$ a month is cheap OR better yet, it is NOT a sinkhole - just some earth movement.

• Becky H

@Sherrie S I say you go seed the ground with arrow heads and shards of primitive clay bowls; throw in a few animal (deer) bones, and soon you'll have all sorts of people over there wanting to excavate and do all sorts of geological studies for free!

• Sherrie S

@Becky H I wish you had told me this before I signed the contract with the geotechnical engineers. Thank you.

• Sharron W

Oh Sherrie, I misunderstood....I thought you said you were covered after all....Bless your heart honey...go do what Becky H. said...QUICK!

• Sherrie S

@Sharron W Thank you but I'm quite OK. Ya, that @Becky H has great ideas.

• Leida R

@Susan S , and @Becky H LOL!!!

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com The company came out and drilled a number of holes around the house with something you would use to dig a well. I will get a written report but they did indicate they hit rock early in the drilling. That's good.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Hope all turns out ok for you :)

• Leida R

I'll 2nd Gail Salminen on what she said, Sherrie S, though things sounds good to me so far.

• Sherrie S

@Leida R and @Gail Salminen thank you for the very nice thoughts. I don't think it will be as bad as I thought because they hit rock very quickly. Next step is to stop any more ground movement. I'll report back tomorrow.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - Well Yeah!! For once hitting a brink wall - uh, I mean hitting stone in the ground, is a good thing. So assuming the bottom doesn't suddenly fall out does this look like it's going to be settlement only???

• Sherrie S

@Susan S hitting rock is wonderful. I always think the best until the worst happens. That way I stay very healthy. Even at the worst it will be OK because it can be fixed. There are things that can never be fixed at any price - enough said.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - You, my friend, are a PILLAR OF STRENGTH and a practionier of PMA - that would be Positive Mental Attitude!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S I do try to keep from falling apart when bad things happen. I know what I can control & what I can't control. If there is any way to fix it I'm really very positive. If there is NO WAY to fix it - I lose PMA.

• Sherrie S

@Susan S @Leida R @Gail Salminen well it has been two days since the company did their drilling. So far I have heard nothing from them but I haven't been asked to pay anything either. Waiting......waiting...wait. I will be receiving a full report soon I hope.

• Leida R

Well my dear sista, as they say, "no news is good news". Hopefully that's where is heading, and I'm still hoping everything turns out to ur favor.

• Susan S

Since they hit rock pretty close to the surface hopefully that good sign continued. Isn't rock in Fl. actually coral since way back before the dinosauers died out Fl. was part of the sea floor? RE: THE PERFECT STORM - I imagine your news is probably full of news about "Sandy" and the convergence of the warm tropical air meeting the artic air that is coming from the north and when the two meet it's a double whammy!!

• Leida R

@Susan S, u said all that in one breath. WOW!!! HAHAHA!!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S The perfect storm will be far South of my home but it is very windy here today. Limestone or dolomite are the two most common carbonate rocks in Florida & that's all I know besides 15% of the country does get sinkholes. I don't think I have a sinkhole but .......we'll soon know.

• Susan S

@Leida R - HUH?? No I didnt!! The first sentense has a period and a question mark. Then there's a second paragraph - Oh, ok, I'll make a concession. Three lines w/no breath in between words!! LOL So are you implying I'm long-winded? Surely Not!! @Sherrie S - Sweetie - I don't know what channel you're watching (Fantasy maybe?) but this Storm is going to be all the way up the East Coast from Fl. to possiiibly NY!! The real issue is that it's soooo wide and long - roughly 1200 mi x 1700 mi. That plus, depending on what they call spaghetti strands - those are the lines where the worst impact could be, all contingent on "how the wind blows" and where it decided to wobble off to. Reports have said that because of it's size and that it's going to keep churning around and around it'll kind of stay at continuous high winds and not move out. From what I understand that's caused when that cold artic north air mass joins it and it gets stuck. By no means am I suggesting I know much about meteorology and weather patterns. If the sun is out - it's a sun-shiny day!! If it's over cast, dark & gloomy - then it isn't a sun-shiny day!! All I'm saying is just keep and eye and ear tuned and stay safe!! @Leida R - that goes for you too and our @Becky H! I sure don't want to be 3 peeps short in my Queendom. You all have research to complete in order for Lady Sharron to earn her "SAINTHOOD" BADGE!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S no channel - I don't like TV. I'm watching the weather through my windows & sunshine is hiding. You could be a meteorologist just by quoting a 50% chance of everything.

• Leida R

@Susan S I don't care about what u r saying about not having said all that in one breath. To me u did, and that's that. OK!!! HAHAHA!!! THANKS for ur concern about us, but I think we r pretty safe. At least so far. : )

• Susan S

@Miriam I - Leida said I should edit my comment below so you would get tagged as well. Do you feel like you're the Head Mistress at a girls school sometimes??? @Sherrie S, @Leida R, @Sharron W - Speaking of "BADGES" - remember back in the good ole days when we used to earn badges from HT for milestones reached such as the number of "likes" etc. Can't even remember now what the categories were! LOL Anyway, I know this sounds really silly and probably like a kindergartner BUT I loved my badges and I thought that was such a fun and unique part of HT!! Silly Silly me :(

• Leida R

@Susan S it's funny u brought that up. Just recently, I was thinking about that myself.

• Susan S

@Leida R - Yes Ma'am!! You are right, absolutely 100% correct! I took one big giant gulp of air and that's what happened!! One really long sentence - my English teachers would faint!! LOL

• Susan S

@Leida R - Well, should I go back to MY "POST" and "EDIT" it so that I can "TAG" Miriam so she'll see it???

• The badges were removed as you said a long time ago, many liked them, and some could care less. It was my understanding it was a programing thing and that the badges appeared to be more of a contest to see how many you can get then anything else. But Miriam can clear that up for you.

• Leida R

@Susan S by all means. Go ahead and do the tag.

• I sent Miriam a message on this. Also we need to stay on topic, but all good points anyway.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com I think everyone posting on Rosies needs only ONE badge - The badge of courage.

• Leida R

LOL!!!

• Susan S

Ladies - have we been reprimanded - I feel like I just got my hand slapped, go sit in the corner or stay after school for detention.

• Miriam I

I'm here :) thanks for tagging me @Susan S I loved badges. Great points! I'll move this to the rosie's thread. :)

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Well it has been several days since the engineers were here and I have not received any reports yet. Even more surprising is I have paid nothing to date - no deposit - nada even though they quoted me the maximum $$ amount when I signed the contract. Hmmmm.

• Susan S

Well, it's either verrrrry verrry good or verrry verrrry bad!!! 50/50!!! Maybe they found gold!!

• It should not take to much longer. It is not uncommon for them to work up a report but have to wait until the well drillers send them their findings. If you do not hear from them by Middle of week, give them a call, but I think you will hear before then. Hoping for the best.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S - they may be extra busy because of the dry summer - so perhaps no news is good news - keeping my fingers crossed for you that the news is at least - how would would one say, copacetic

• Sharron W

@Sherrie S Yes "Ditto" what WE and Gail said....I think we're almost as anxious as you....not QUITE cause we aren't shelling out the bucks but we're hoping for the best anyway....

• Becky H

@Sherrie S I would think if the results were "critical" they'd waste no time reporting to you. I'd take the fact that you've not heard back immediately after the work concluded to be a Good Omen. Know that we've all shared your concern and are pulling for you!!

• Sherrie S

@Becky H Heck, if the house was critical and did fall into a big hole then insurance would pay so I don't think it is critical at all. @Susan S only you, our queen, could think of gold. @Gail Salminen I'm waiting for the report so I know what needs to be done to fix it as there was ground movement that must be stopped. It's a beautiful day in Florida - sunny & a cool 72 degrees. Thank you all. You will bring me good luck.

• Pamela N

In Florida, if you don't have specific sinkhole insurance, your house can fall in the hole and nobody pays you anything... and I doubt if the home in insurable in the condition it is in. Welcome to Florida.

• Sherrie S

@Pamela N - Florida requires ALL Florida insurance companies to pay for CATASTROPHIC damage (meaning the house fell in a BIG hole, was condemned & ordered to be vacated) & there is NO additional insurance cost for that coverage. My rental will not be covered since it does not meet Florida's Catastrophic Damage Clause. I've had geological engineers at the rental site & will get a full report soon. Since I didn't file a claim I should not have a problem with insurance once the home is repaired. I've already discussed this with my insurance agent. I don't plan on trying to add the additional coverage for ground movement/sinkhole coverage.

• Pamela N

Better check w your insurance co to be sure because the insurance companies will do everything they can to not pay. Sinkhole insurance is there for a reason... and the reason is to give the insurance co a reason not to pay if you don't have it.

• Pamela N

Ok just read the rest of the post. My friend in Spring Hill (same homes, same geography, same builders as Deltona) had their house crack thru the middle from front to back... the home was condemned, they had just days to remove their goods, and the insurance company fought them for years while they lived as best they could without a home. It was very sobering.

• Sherrie S

@Pamela N I totally understand that our Florida legislators created this monster & I understand the new laws. I think your friend has a 100% valid claim for Catastrophic coverage. My rental does not meet Catastrophic. I would highly recommend reading @Leida R's postings to me.

• Pamela N

Unfortunately this happened about 10 years ago.

• Sherrie S

@Pamela N I would remember no matter how long ago it happened. What I have learned recently is important to ALL Florida people because things change & usually not for the better. This is why I asked you to read the @Leida R posting. It could help you when the insurance company turns you down & you are right.

• Leida R

Thanks, @Sherrie S!!! I wish more people would know about THE INSURANCE ADJUSTERS though. We all need to remember that they are on our sides, not like the INSURANCE COMPANIES.

• Sherrie S

@Leida R Even though the insurance adjuster could not change Florida Laws they did help me find a good geological engineering company from the Tampa area.

• Leida R

@Sherrie S, that is TOTALLY understandable, but at least they were willing to work with you whereas, the INSURANCE COMPANY (sort of speak) didn't even want to hear u calling them. That truly is PATHETIC as we pick/choose these companies because, we want to be save, they are a reputable companies, they have been around for a long time, etc. etc. Yes, we should have an INSURANCE COMPANY, but let's not forget about the ADJUSTERS!!! Sherrie, thank you for sharing that piece of info with us.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com - Before calling the GEO engineers I read the contract which states they will provide a very detailed report & recommend any remedial measures 10 DAYS after the site visit. So I should have the report by 11/6/12. Glad I didn't call them.

• Calling them is no big deal, but turn around time is about standard in the inspection industry such as this. I understand that waiting can be the worse part. I would assume however if the results were something to really worry about such as life and safety, you would have received a phone call from them by now. So realistically the longer the wait in this case, the less of an real issue it should be. We will all keep our fingers crossed for positive news.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S Not too much longer to wait, hang in there

• Sherrie S

I'm fine & I have a feeling this will not be as bad as it looks. I sure learned a lot about insurance. Thank you for the nice comments.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - maybe there won't be any gold at the bottom of that hole but by hitting rock fairly soon after drilling I'm hoping that was a very good sign!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S I am so happy they hit rock. It is only a few more days before I know what needs to be done. I have had a Bad October & expect a wonderful November.

• Susan S

Absolutely - think positive!! As bad as it was to have the most of October be totally crappy, now it's all out of the way instead if getting spread out Oct, Nov, Dec!!

• Cathy

here's a new face at the "sinkhole" party.....been reading this miniseries for awhile now. My beau and I toured homes in Fla in June and became quite afraid of the sinkhole problem. We'll be retiring soon and though we loved the areas we visited, we can't afford to rebuild in our 70's /80's. I also wish to say my kudos to Mr Tiptop for his generous help to Sherrie. He seems like a good man; I hope he fared ok after Sandy blew through. Sherrie---how's it going with repairs?

• Sherrie S

@Cathy the company said it would be 10 working days before I find out what caused the problem. I'm not really sure it is a sinkhole, could be ground movement without a sinkhole. This week I should get a detailed report telling me what they found & how to solve it. Nothing will be done until I get the report.

• Sharron W

I can't believe you still haven't heard from them! Are you running out of "construction weather" in your area?

• Sherrie S

@Susan S @Cathy @Sharron W @Gail Salminen @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Keep in mind that they have not billed me for the testing and that is amazing. I need answers now & I will contact them on 11/12/12.

• Sharron W

I cannot believe you haven't heard ANYTHING from them yet....

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - today is the 10th of Nov. You still don't have a report from them?? Hmmmm - come Monday morning I'd be marching myself into their office politely asking for some answers!! Assuming they're close by. Otherwise I guess you have to let your fingers do the walking. But, I don't think YOU need any advise on getting answers!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S Remember I paid nothing & they spent a good part of the day working with big equipment and driving over 120 miles. Second, when I get mad I tell myself I am only on the "A" madness and I have the option of waiting until I get to the "Z" madness before doing something I will regret. Honestly, this has worked for me. I've never gone beyond "B" madness.

• Susan S

Well, since ya put it like that I can understand having lots of patience. Like we've all said, if it were disasterous news they would have been in touch immediately!! Guess the garage isn't going to just disappear one night into a deep dark hole!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S If the WHOLE house fell into a hole the insurance would pay 100% . Anything less that 100% the insurance pays -0-. Maybe they are waiting for it to disappear in the hole so they can charge more for the job.

• Well Sherrie, as long as you do not need a ladder to get into the garage, things are looking good. I would touch base with them tomorrow and ask them what is up? I am sure they will be in touch with the report, as they spent the money with the drilling company so they will want to get paid. But it is starting to get to be quite a long time now and you should have at least heard back from them in this regard. But no news is good news anyway.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com I like your attitude - you made me laugh. I will be speaking to them tomorrow.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S - Woodbridge is right. It may be that there were a rash of requests and they are dealing with the most urgent first. I agree to contact them tomorrow, maybe after the mail comes, so you can be sure it has not arrived. Keeping my fingers crossed for you - good luck! :)

• Sherrie S

@Gail Salminen I'm definitely patient & I will be calling them tomorrow. Everytime I @read Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com answers he has always been correct.

• Sherrie S

@Sharron W @Susan S @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com @Gail Salminen well I called today & found they mailed the bill & remedial info on 11/1/12. Today they emailed & snail mailed again. Results are great. After reading 26 pages of stuff I found it is NOT a sinkhole. I will need a program of shallow permeation or chemical grouting utilizing approximately 300 - 500 pounds of expanding urethane grout or equivalent. Then it gets real detailed so I will stop now. Only Woodbridge will have any idea of what I just wrote. Oh I am happy.

• Susan S

Welllllll . . . .apparently something went astray somewhere! So, since it IS NOT a sinkhole, will you be able to file a claim w/your ins. for the repairs? I'm glad your neighbor isn't in any danger of falling into the abyss - or won't have to move either!!

• Sharron W

@Sherrie S That is AWESOME!!!! oh and hey, I resemble that remark...LOL I am completely comfortable with Expanding urethane....LOL LOL I was after all an Environmental Engineer in my previous life...

• Sherrie S

@Sharron W wow that is good. I will contact you with my next environmental geotechnical problem. @Susan S our Florida insurance people are smart - they say they don't cover any ground movement except catastrophic. I'm waiting until I find out what it costs to fill the hole before I contact anyone but Sharron W.

• Sharron W

Hahahaha....Real funny...it's been some years since I had to work on any remediation projects...jus sayin...I know what expanding urethane grout is...LOL

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - Silly Silly ME!! I forgot!! Ins. companies are not there for the consumer but their own commissions and the profit for the shareholders!! We PAY THEM to NOT do anything for us!! Well, I'm still relieved it's nothing as major as was feared!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S definitely not as serious as perceived. That's a plus. How do you like post office that wasn't able to deliver this mail sent from Tampa to Orlando on 11/1. It is only 120 miles. Today I got an email.

• Susan S

NOT to be knocking Fl. but when my daughter lived in Miami, mail could take 5 days to get mail back 'n forth if it made it at all!! I think the issue is down there - and to think the Postal Service is loosing money and always needing to raise the price of stamps. I think there should be an investigation into how it's being run. Mini Soapbox!! LOL

• Sherrie S

@Susan S just look at who controls the postoffice everywhere, not just Florida. Unions & government intervention makes our country sick. I mean really ill. End of my soapbox., too. We need to go to Rosies for more of this excellent reporting.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S - congrats on the news. Hope your restoration goes on without a hitch :)

• Sherrie S

@Gail Salminen I have a lot of faith in the people that did the geotechnical stuff so I've asked them to help me find the right people to do the job. I'm waiting for their answers by EMAIL - no snailmail.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - I'm just speaking from my own personal experience with the PS when my daughter lived there. It seemed to be extremely inept from that end of things, that's all.

• Sharron W

I mailed a Birthday card from Memphis, in the last post of the day, (5:00) and it was delivered by the postman the next day all the way to Conway Arkansas...I was seriously impressed...

• Susan S

@Sharron W - yeah - go figure!! Sometimes it just don't make NO sense!!!! LOL

• Sherrie S

I have to thank the geological guys that helped me to find people that will fix this. I will be getting the proposal tomorrow. I have been told they do not want a deposit and will not bill it until it is done. Isn't this amazing since they don't know me from dog do do.

• Susan S

Yeah well @Sherrie S - they've probably been doing this long enough that they've learned a few things about people and can judge if someone is honest & trustworthy or not. Besides that - they can always slap a lien on your property if you don't pay up!!

• They must be horse people. They are kind of like that. Great to hear and that it is finely figured out. :)

• Becky H

@Susan S LOL!! You began the post so sweetly, and closed it with a bang. LOL!!!!

• Susan S

I really wasn't trying to be funny or sarcastic or any of that stuff. I just meant that if they made an error in judgment and somebody stiffed them (NOT OUR SHERRIE OF COURSE) that they always had that option!!

• Sherrie S

Well the geo guys contacted a number of companies for me so they could explain what I needed to fix ground movement. I really appreciate all the help they have given me & I sent their check to them & told them to call me in 7 days if they didn't get it. That is only 17.5 miles a day (120 miles) for the USPS so it is possible they will deliver. I will be getting a proposal for ground movement by Monday 11/19/12.

• Susan S

@Sherrie S - . . . . . . but if they don't get it w/in 7 days, how will they know they didn't get it? just sayin . . . . .

• Sherrie S

@Susan S they will know when they pick up their mail and the $$ are not there.

• Susan S

BUT what I'm sayin is . . . . you sent the note w/the check saying if you don't get this within 7 days. Well, how are they gonna know you sent it IF it never gets there!! Is this turning into a chicken & egg thing?? LOL

• Sherrie S

@Susan S I spoke with him on the thing called a telephone - I don't trust USPS. If I depended on the mail I'd probably have a lien on my rental by now.

• Susan S

Well Darlin - ya NEVER said you conveyed this information to them via Ma Bell. Besides, sometimes it's just fun getting you all riled up a little bit. Oh I know, I will pay won't I??? Watch out, I'll stick ya back in the tower again!!

• Sherrie S

@Susan S I don't always clearly define things. I'll be very quiet now to keep out of the tower.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Well usps delivered the investigation report - very, very detailed stuff I don't understand. This information has been provided to the company that will fix the garage & I should have the bid by EMAIL tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

• Glad to hear that this is finally coming to a head. If you need any assistance on understanding the report, please feel free to contact me and I will try to make sense of it for you. And you too have a great holiday as well.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com what a wonderful offer. I don't want to waste your time with details at this time but I would like to send you the solution if that is OK.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S - glad to hear things are coming together. It is great that @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com is willing to provide some professional assistance. Wish I lived in NJ I would definitely go to them for help if I needed it!

• Sherrie S

@Gail Salminen I find it exceptional that he would bother with my problems. I asked him to move to Florida so I could hire him. Answer from him = NO but it was a really nice no.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S I guess we should flaunt him wherever we can when NJ is in the posters home state :) He really is a great person!

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com More than I understand. www.FloridaMudjackingService.com Lift , Level and Stabilize Side ofGarage ( 1 ) Lift , leveland stabilize approximately 125 sq ft. of interior living space with The Right Way's Concrete Slurry. ( 2 ) Drill 15/8" holes randomly throughout the interior areas as needed and wherevoids are located. ( 3 ) Lift , leveland stabilize the side of the garage with special attention to the outside wall where the major damage is located. ( 4 ) Replace allcores and fill with a quick drying hydraulic cement. ( 5 ) Excavate thefooter of the home and install approx (10) 20 -30 ton jacks. The jacks willthen be buried in 3500 P.S.I. concrete toform permanent pierings / pilings. ( 6 ) Backfill,compact and grade area as needed. ( 7 ) The Right Wayanticipates the use of 2 - 4 yards of slurry , ( 10 ) jacks and ( 1 ) pallet of 8 x 16 x 4 "blocks. REPAIRS AREWARRANTIED FOR 10 YEARS AND INCLUDES ALL TIME , MATERIALS , TRAVEL ,HOTELS ,LABOR ,INSURANCES AND ALL SHOP MATERIALS. Ok, that's all PHEW....what do you think? Thank you so much for any answers.

• All makes sense. It sounds as though the engineer found issues with the slab inside as well. Did they say how far down the garage sank? I can see a little from the photo, but wondering if the entire side settled as well. Is the garage level?

• Sharron W

ONLY 2-4 yards of concrete slurry? That doesn't seem like very much considering they are burying 10 jacks AND filling in the voids...

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Yikes, this stuff for me is like studying the theory of relativity. There are many pages of things I will never understand. I'll just copy what is almost possible to understand. The Damage assessment I was given shows: Hairline to less tha 6mm stair step crack on East side - less than 1mm horizontal offset. Hairline to less than 1 mm stair step crack on South side of garage at upper east corner of door, 3 mm horizontal offset Hairline to less than 1 mm stair step crack on west well of garage at south corner of garage. Hairline horizontal cracking along lower west wall of house Hairline horizontal and stair step cracking on lower north wall of house Hairline to less than 5 mm cracks (5) on driveway no to 18 mm vertical offsets Hairline to less than 1 mm cracks (4) in garage slab, no to 2 mm vertical offsets. Final Note: "the damages to the house would be considered negligible while damages to SE corner of garage would be considered moderate to severe" NO sinkhole! @Sharron W I have no clue. I will ask the company about it. I will also ask about slurry vs expanding urethane grout or maybe @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com can shed some light on this topic. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I did.

• Sherrie S

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com @Sharron W @Gail Salminen Answer from vendor: @We will start by installing 20 - 30 ton jacks under footer , bring up the footer and push cracks back together on wall and then approach the inside by core drillling. At this time we will then see what is or is not under the slab. Since they have the detailed Geological report they believe they have enough slurry but if they don't they can get additional slurry locally & there will be no extra charge. I am glad this is almost over - another thing to be thankful for.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S - sounds like your nightmare is almost over. It is great that there is so much expertise here on the site to help as well. Kudos to all who have shared their expertise. Will await the final outcome report :)

• Sherrie S

@Gail Salminen When all is done I will recommend or not recommend two companies - both of which are involved in this. This is something that most people have not dealt with and the more information you have, the better. It is far beyond most of us.

• Gail Salminen

@Sherrie S - perhaps consider a public blog so when people google it they will come up with the info and a link to this site to highlight the experts providing info. :)

• Leida R

So happy for u that this nightmare is coming to an END!!!

• Sherrie S

@Leida R @Gail Salminen @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com well it may not be the end yet. Since the company didn't have their license listed on the website I requested the #. What I got was a license for 2010-11. I replied that it was unacceptable. Monday I will try to find another company if I don't hear from him. His insurance is also important.

• Leida R

GOSH!!! The saga still continuous. : (

• Gail Salminen

Good call @Sherrie S - you definitely want a licensed company with insurance. Perhaps they are in the process of renewing???? Good luck with the next company. Hope your woes are done by the new year.

• Sherrie S

Uggh, today he sent me a local tax license. The state of florida requires a license, too. I do believe I will be finding someone else on Monday.

• Sherrie S

@Leida R @Gail Salminen @Sharron W Phew, received the 2012 license info, they will be arriving Monday with insurance verification & will start the job. I hope this is the end of the garage problem. Now I'm back to Koi problems - no, not a heron, bear or racoon or any other animal. I'll know more later after checking the pond in a few minutes.

• Leida R

Ok. Let's see what happens. Good luck in all.

• Sharron W

GOOOOOD Grief! the Never ending saga....

• Sherrie S

@Gail Salminen @Leida R @Sharron W @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Wow, what a great job. I got to watch the hole digging and the jacks. When they finished the stairstep on the inside & outside wall was gone, the garage door actually touches the garage floor on both sides, the driveway was lifted to meet the garage floor and cracks at the ceiling in the garage can't be seen. I am soooooo impressed. This is NOT a do it yourself project!!!

• Sherrie S

• Leida R

Thanks for the update. I'M GLAD THINGS R GETTING SORT OUT.

• Sharron W

Wow that is AWESOME! So glad they have resolved the problem FINALLY!

• Warren Shaver

Contact a TUCKPOINTER or a BRICKMASON eitherr can help you out the joints uust look like minor settlement cracks , not a large job but the joints should be prepped before pointing is applied .sleep easy , your cool!
  • Sherrie S

Thank you Warren. The "fix" has held up well after 4 1/2 years.
  • Dana Do

you should check the level OUTSIDE of your house. It may be 1 size is higher than another size. It makes the house un-balance, and get crack. You should fix it, level it... buy the dirt to fill up, or remove and stop water plants/flowers if you have them to CLOSE to the house, at that area. I have flowers, plants, and water them daily, it make the house to foudation problem.

• Ebbjdl

Call a mason
  • Your comment...