Dianne
Dianne
  • Millington, TN

what is this plant?

Dianne360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Sharron W
+9

To
my gardening friends: Do you know what kind of plant this is? The
blooms look like Salvia to me, but the plants are 3-4 ft tall. I found
it growing in a creek bed behind my house.The mature leaves are long & pointed. The "baby" leaves at the base of the plant are round & ruffled.
what is this plant, electrical, gardening
  • Ellen H

It's hard to tell from the picture - look up cardinal flower and see if you think it is a match.

• Anna K

This is a difficult photo to I.D. but from the description, along with the wet location-I would say cardinal flower also... Lobelia cardinalis

• Sharron W

Gosh I thought Cardinal Flower was a vine...I must be confused with something else...

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal Flower) and yes Sharron there is also a Cardinal Vine (Ipomea quamocli).It is easy to get confused when there are a lot of plants with the same common name.

• Sharron W

I wouldn't mind having some of that myself, it needs marshy conditions....and Full Sun? Partial Sun?

@Sharron W: Lobelia cardinalis definitely likes moist conditions, but it needn't be a marsh. The drier the site the more shade it will need. Great native plant for a late-season burst of color if you have the right conditions.

• Sharron W

Oh Thanks Douglas....I love red in the yard...It helps bring the hummingbirds...So that is one more plant that I will eventully look for after I finish "rearranging" the other things I currently have.

• Dianne

I almost drown trying to "steal" some of these from a river bank in Arkansas....Never did get them.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

heh...I almost got arrested for taking a seed pod from a Southern Mag off the road right of way.

• Sharron W

Whoa y'all....seriously almost got arrested....you didn't know it was illegal to take plants for the sides of the road? And Dianne....almost drowned, come on now....go to HD and pinch the end off the plant and take it home and root it...LOL (JK)

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It only a seed pod! lol

• Dianne

I LOVE to get plants off the side of the road...lol