Geraniums

$4.00

I have an easy way to save your geraniums from year to year. In mid September to early October cut back geranium and place container in a large garbage bag in your garage or cool basement for the winter months. When temperatures start to climb up and there is no threat of frost remove plastic bag and place in sun. Saturate with water until you see water coming out of the base of plant. If temperature drops bring back into garage and keep inside until there is no threat of frost. From there it's a piece of cake! Beautiful blooms. This will be my 6th year with this beautiful plant. I have had to change containers twice. Blooms galore!
5th year and going strong!
This is how the geranium looks after the long winter. It has already started to get green in early March.
Getting ready for winter. Cut back plant well making sure to leave some of the plant green leaves on.
Cut back a bit more.

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!

• AKG49683621
    AKG49683621

My geraniums are in concrete planters outside. What is the best way to take care of them?

• Ellis
      Ellis

M.J.'s method works! My grandmother used to do this, especially if she had a plant with an unusual color flower. She would shake the dirt off and tie plants up in bunches with twine, then hang them from a nail in the cellar where they would get air circulation. Popped back in the garden in May (last frost date is May 15th here), they would pick back up right away.

• Jill Pounds
    Jill Pounds

Hello! We have geraniums in the ground and in the pot. Can you save the ones in the ground? Also, my planted geranium is still blooming. Do I wait until it's done growing, before I cut it back then put into bag? Thank You!

• Debbie Tuerff
    Debbie Tuerff

Do you need to water geraniums still while in the plastic garbage bag,??

• M. J.
      M. J.

I do maybe once during all winter but it really isn’t necessary. You’ll see green sprouts surface around March.

• Jenny
    Jenny

Thanks, I'll try your method this year.

Last winter was so mild in England that I left my geraniums outside in their tubs (on a South facing wall) because they were still flowering. They flowered all winter and are looking very good still. But I can't hope for that weather again.

• Liam Crowe
    Liam Crowe

I will do in Autumn?