Brooke @ Start at Home
Brooke @ Start at Home
  • Centerville, UT

Old Hutch, New Life!

I am sure you have seen many of these hutches before, and your response maybe similar to mine....YUCK! After all they are a bit dated and dark. Well I have good news it is nothing a little paint can't fix.
how to give an old hutch new life, painted furniture
Before!
First we took this hutch all the way apart, doors, hardware and I always take the back off!
Next we sanded it all down, the top we sanded all the way down to the original wood so we could stain it again! I used Miniwaxes Early American stain. I love how rich the top makes this hutch look!
Next I sprayed the whole hutch with a cream colored paint! After the paint dried I distressed the edges and used a brown glaze to really bring out all the details!
Instead of getting all new hardware I spray painted the old hardware with Rustoleums Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze. I couldn't be happier with the outcome of this hutch!
Brooke @ Start at Home

• Nancy

How many cans of spray paint did this take?? I never get as much out of a can as I think I should. Also, are you really good and experienced at it? I'm afraid I'd mess up but yours looks lovely!

• JoAnn

Yes. I have some very similar dark pine piece(s) from Ethan Allen form at least30 years ago. I am trying the idea of taking the hutch off and just using the bottom piece for storage. Hubby does not like!!! But, then I dont know where to put the hutch after I paint it. I have seen some ideas here awhile ago, but don’t think I have the room. That’s a whole nuther story though. I would like something very similar to this. I would hang old silver trays of different sizes and shapes that I have acquired above the buffet. Maybe a couple of tall skinny lamps too. (I
  • Felicia