Christmas Fence Board Art

$0

Use Fence Boards to Create Art
I love using old fence boards for artwork. I get them for free whenever I see someone taking down a fence, on Craigslist, on a curb . . . wherever I can! I wanted something to put above my upcycled windows in my living room. I started with painting one coat of chalk paint on the boards, then sanded lightly and painted on the words. The words were printed out on paper and then taped together. Using graphite paper, I transferred the script to the boards and then painted using black, acrylic paint. Finally, I sanded the words lightly to distress a bit and finished with a coat of clear wax. When using this technique, I have a few, simple TIPS:
1. Invest in a good brush. This one cost me about 10.00 and is a number 2 round brush. It's perfect for lettering and fine detail.
2. Choose a simple font. The one I love to use is called Abbeyline and was downloaded for free at Freefont.com.
3. Water down your paint. I keep a small jar of water on the table and each time I dip my brush in the water, then in the paint (which I pour out onto a piece of cardboard or plastic lid) and then lightly brush the excess paint onto the cardboard before heading to my project. This was probably the most helpful tip -- you get nice, smooth, fine lines this way.
If you are using a script-type font, it's especially important to choose one that has clean, simple lines.
These are just resting on the top of my windows but you could add picture hangers and hang them directly on the wall.
My favorite kind of project: Free, simple, quick!

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Lauren Z