Sanlong
Sanlong
  • Advance, MO

Any tricks for mosquitos?

PattyHolly BifulkLeslie D
+13

Our town is thick with mosquitos spring through fall. The city sprays (ugh) but it doesn't seem to help. I cannot enjoy my porch or yard swing....burning Citronella doesn't work. Help!
  • KMS Woodworks

I moved to the arid west... I saw about 3 mosquitos this summer....LOL. There are two paths to take. The first is to try to reduce them from breeding. Which means removing or treating open water sources. Ponds and containers about the home that may collect water can provide a breeding pool. The second line is to provide habitat for natural predators like bats and birds. A quote from a NJ state web site BATS ARE THE PRIMARY PREDATORS OF NIGHT FLYING INSECTS. A single little brown bat can consume up to 1,200 mosquito sized insects in an hour and up to 3,000 insects in a single night. Nursing mothers can eat up to 4,500 insects nightly - more than their own body weight. Many insect pests are consumed by bats including cucumber beetles, leaf hoppers, termites, ants, roaches, corn earworms, grasshoppers, and mosquitoes. Loss of bat species increases the need for chemical pesticides, increasing costs to landowners and farmers and endangering fragile ecosystems with unintended contamination and consequences.

• Jeanette S

Living in the South all my life, these pests are on my revenge list! As for the porch, if you will get a box fan, sit it off to the side and turn it on every time you go out, you will not be bothered with them. You can even use several large box fans in the yard when you plan to have an outdoor event! They do not fly in the wind! Get a sprayer for your hose. Mix aobut 1/2 cup each of lemon scented dishwashing soap lemon scented amonia in it. Spray down your yard, bushes (underside too), etc. When sprayer stops putting out bubbles, refill with mixture. We even spray up on the house so that it runs down into the gutters. Do this about every 4-6 weeks! It makes a difference. We had them so bad, we hated to go out and get the mail!!!! If you have plants around, make sure there is no standing water. If you use a water bucket that you keep filled and setting outside, put in a drop of olive oil so they won't breed in the water! Good luck! And remember to protect yourself by weating long sleeves and pants!

You may even be able to install a ceiling fan on your porch. Moving air definitely helps.

• Ellen H

I really like my Off battery-operated personal fan that slips onto your waistband. Now I wish I could find something for the fire ants.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Following up on KMS great suggestions, keep in mind that sometimes plants and shade are aiding the population. English Ivy leaves 'cup' water and more likely than not grown in shady no air flow environment. It is a great place to breed mosquitoes. (Just another reason I steer folks away from English Ivy!) Look around your outdoor environment for other plants that hold water on the leaves after a rain. Keep your bird baths fresh and check for puddles that don't drain as well.

• Ouina

There's a great gizmo that clips to your belt or have near you - Thermacell. Dealt with LOTs of mosquitos living in Alaska. It is a little pricey but well worth it! Google it. Good luck!

• Sanlong

Thanks for the response. I do have a fan on the porch & I will begin to use it, although it is in the 50s here in MO...too cold for a fan but not those pesky mosquitos! I am definitely going to try the Thermacell. Thanks to you all!

• Jeanette S

I have read that dryer sheets tacked or laid around an outdoor area (porch/deck) will keep them away...I have not tried it, but it would be worth trying....

• LaVonne D

Try mixing a can of NBS-30 (all natural insect deterrent) We use it to mix with stain when we restore log homes, but its equally effective mixed with water and sprayed on the exterior of your home. I use it on my screened porch each summer. keeps mosquitoes and spiders at bay.

• Ellen H

@Donna R I thought of you, Donna, when I read LaVonne's solution above.

• Sanlong

You are all so helpful. In just a few short weeks, Mother Nature will take care of my problem but next Spring I will be armed & dangerous with all your suggestions. Happy Fall, Ya'll.

• Sanlong

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to wait for Spring to try them out

• Deep Woods Off applied liberally.

• Leslie D

Here's an easy, pleasant & natural repellent recipe you can make at home: Combine in a 16 oz bottle:15 drops lavender oil 3-4 Tbsp of vanilla extract 1/4 Cup lemon juice. Fill bottle with water. Shake. Spray on yourself and around the area you want them to avoid.

• Holly Bifulk

If you chop up garlic and throw it where you have problems you will see them leave immediately. Vanilla also.

• Patty

I have been using hanging plants on my deck and front porch for years,,Geraniums work the best,,I also plant lemongrass around/in the flower/rock gardens. Here's a little trick for the flys,,you have to use pure vanilla extract (not imitation) and place it on your pulse points,wrist, neck behind the knees,,it's a miracle worker at picnics.