Redheadcandecorate.com
Redheadcandecorate.com
  • Lake Orion, MI

Should I paint my front door white?

Seems like a simple question, but I have been struggling with this for a while. I paint everything else in my house, but for some reason I am afraid with this. Let me know!
http://redheadcandecorate.com/?p=2605
This is my door today...this wreath shows up nicely, but my Christmas wreath disappears.
Redheadcandecorate.com

• Sherrie Meier

Do you paint exterior doors with a brush or roller? Do you have to take the door off and for how long?

• Ginny

Paint it white. White goes with everything. Do not remove door. * Pick a day when humidity is low and you can leave the door open * Prime first or purchase a good paint with built-in primer. Covering a dark color can mean a primer and two top coats. * Paint panel inserts first with a small brush - 4-5". Tape around doorknob and paint around it. * Paint the areas around the panel inserts next with a small roller (4" - 5"). Leave the door open just enough so that it is not closing or touching the inside trim. If you start early enough in the morning, paint should be dry enough to close the door in the evening or leave it on a chain latch overnight. You could also paint just the inset pans white for a contrast, but end result might be too busy. The small brush and roller painting method has always worked for me. Good luck!

• Suellen Hintz

Go with color! Bright yellow, red, chartreuse, your favorite. This will help lighten the area and show personality.
  • Ginger the farm gal

Unless you want to paint the trim also, I would paint the panels of the door the same blue as the house, with maybe a pinstripe of brown in the groves. this would lighten it up without painting the trim.