Dollar Store Owl Makeover

One of my favorite things to do is to makeover dollar store items. I’m always on the hunt for fun knick knacks that I come across while strolling around the dollar store.
how to paint a small owl, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
I wanted to use the white glue and paint crackle method to achieve a white owl with very fine gold crackles. As you can see, it didn’t quite work out but I still like the look of the owl. He just looks more like a ceramic glazed owl and he fits right in with my white & gold holiday décor.
You can find the step-by-step crackle paint with white glue and paint tutorial on my blog at the link below.
And here’s Mr. Owl nestled in with my white and gold holiday hutch. He fits right in and I can use him year round for other seasonal décor.
Even though I didn't achieve the exact "crackle paint" effect I wanted, i still love how he turned out.
Carolyn ~ homework

• Jeannie McCarley

Oh yes.....he's cute :-) might have to have a whirl at this one. And agree, he looks more like he come from Pier 1

• Wanda Craft

Okay. He is wonderful! I like him the way he turned out and I bet your vision of crackling would look great, too. There might be a trip to the dollar store in my very near future. Like today, maybe. I've seen these shiny doo-dads in the dollar store and at yard sales. It never occurred to me they could look any different. Head slap moment. And yep. I really need another project, no matter how easy. Sheesh!

• Carolyn ~ homework

@Wanda Craft have fun at the dollar store. My motto is - even if it doesn't work out - it was only a dollar. :)