DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Vintage Tablecloth Curtain - The Christmas Version

$0.00

Hi there! It's getting closer and closer to Christmas day and I'm still decorating here and there! LOL! Last year I wanted a vintage Christmas curtain for our kitchen window and I had the idea of using either a tablecloth or an apron.
{Lots more pictures and details on our blog}
how to use vintage tablecloth curtain for christmas, christmas decorations, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor, window treatments
This 1950's tablecloth is right up my alley when it comes to vintage stuff. I love it! Even though I bought it last year I never made it into a curtain. Why you ask? Searching Pinterest for curtain ideas, I could never find just the right look I wanted. My main problem, I really didn't want to cut up this tablecloth! I found a better way, link on our blog to the person who saved me!
Now that I didn't have to cut up my lovely tablecloth I was on a mission to get it hung up and spreading the Christmas cheer in our kitchen! It was a bit stained as you can see above, but to me that means it was used lots and loved even more! BTW, do you have a remedy to remove really old stains from tablecloths? Let me know below if you do.
Luckily, most of the stains were to one side, so I lucked out there too! My tablecloth was not perfectly square either, so I had to strategically fold it to make it look good hanging up. The corners didn't quite match up, but I just offset it as you see above to make it work.
Now that I have it all pressed and pretty, I folded down just enough to achieve the length I needed, then I inserted a tension rod into the fold that I had already set to length for my window. I ended up folding it down a lot more than you see here. You can tell in the next picture.
And then I hung it up and adjusted until I had the look I wanted! If you look in the very upper right hand corner you can see the end of the tension rod sticking out. I used a tension rod because that's what I had on hand, but I'm sure you could use a regular curtain rod as well.
For the sides, I just kind of turned them into the center of the window and kept adjusting until I liked it. So pretty and festive!
I'm so glad I didn't have to cut my tablecloth up, this was a much better idea to me.
Do you love vintage goodies as much as I do? Please leave a comment if you've decorated for Christmas in a vintage way, I'd like to see your decor too!
DeeDee

• Susan

Can you please post step-by-step how you folded it? I can't seem to grasp how you did! Thanks.

• Janmcbeads

I have huge box of old linens and crochet table clothes? I can’t possibly use them, but some do have stains. Do you have any instruction on the care of these linens ? If you do I would greatly appreciate it. My daughter also has antique christening gowns.

• V

I used hydrogen peroxide and Cream of Tartar. Just pour some hydrogen peroxide on the stain and rub in a little Cream of Tartar. Let it sit and add more after a while if needed. This worked on stains in my moms table cloth and napkins from the 1940s! Think I got this on Pinterest.

• Christine Adams

What size table cloth did you use? And what width is your window? I want to use your idea. It looks amazing! Thank you for sharing it.

• DeeDee

Hi Christine! Thank you! Not sure on the size of the table cloth (its packed away), but its square. The window is 33" wide. I hope that helps! :)