Turn Your Ordinary Railings Into Beautiful Built-ins!

$300

When we moved into our raised ranch I saw these railings and I was not a fan...even more with a little one on the way! They were low, the bars were to far apart and it was actually a little high off the ground. So here is what I did...

First thing to do is measure how deep/tall you would like the bookcase and adjust the plans accordingly. (click through to my blog to find the plans) After we removed the railing we started building!

For the bookcase I decided I wanted to paint the back of the shelves the same as the wall color to give it some dimension and make it stand out. I painted the shelves and moulding white, and stained the top. To see the other side of the bookcase and the new entry go here.

What do you think? Due to overwhelming comments and questions, this post has been updated on the blog with more pictures of the room.

• Wood Stakes  (Home Depot)
  • Paint  (Home Depot)

30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Tara Boettger

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

I have this exact bookcase/half wall in upstairs hall . It makes the hallway open and airy! Caught nephew climbing bookcase which certainly is unsafe. Ideas to remedy this safety hazard ?

• Jma47543466
    Jma47543466

Have you ever had the builtins be more like an entertainment center not just the shelving? Having a hard time finding anyone that has done it.

• Sarah
    Sarah

What wood did you use to frame this out?

• Sheila Long McKee
    Sheila Long McKee

Ours is a half wall but I don’t like that either. I’m afraid the bookcase will take up to much space. Livingroom is small.
  • Pat
    Pat

really warms up the area