Asked on Dec 14, 2014

What kind of pencil do I need?

SallyLindaSherry Fram
+7

I want to write names on some coffee mugs as part of gifts for Christmas, what kind of pen or pencil do I need to write on the ceramic mugs, something that will stay on?
  • Bonnie Boggs
    Bonnie Boggs

a sharpie

• Betty Hammond-Wirsen
    Betty Hammond-Wirsen

I have used Sharpie's oil based markers with great success. I put them in a cold oven after writing, turn the oven on to 350, leave them on for half an hour after they reach 350, and then turn the oven off and let them cool until completely cold. You can then take them out and they're washable by hand. I have never tried to put them in a dishwasher so I can't tell you how that would work. Pretty durable so far.

• Vickie Johnson
    Vickie Johnson

You can use regular permanent markers and bake in oven as above. It works great. Then just for safety I've used Elmer's glue diluted over the painted area.

• Pam Davis
    Pam Davis

China marker

• Sally
    Sally

A plain Sharpie will come off in the first wash. Make sure to use OIL BASED Sharpie. Look for Paint Pens or your work will be wasted. Happy Crafting!

• Sherry Fram
    Sherry Fram

Need to use an oil based marker-Wipe off the surface with alcohol to clean it, put whatever you want to write on the mug and let it dry for 24 hours then put it in a cold oven, set it to 425 degrees. When the oven gets to the right temp then set your timer for 30 min. When the timer goes off turn off the oven but leave the mug inside to cool off inside the oven. By putting the mug in the cold oven it will not crack. Got all this off of Pinterest when I did it and it worked. Have run my mugs through the dishwasher many times without the markings coming off. Good luck!

• Linda
    Linda

Thank you, ladies, so much. I can't wait to do this to complete a Christmas gift. I really appreciate all your great advice.

• Linda
    Linda

Are the sharpies marked oil based? I have regular sharpies but don't see anything on them that say oil based.

• Sally
    Sally

I started with Michael's but went through art supply sites and Amazon for sites. They also have more color options