How To Paint A Diamond Rug With No Math Needed

In the fall of 2011, I painted a rug directly onto my front porch. And it was fabulous. For the first few years. And then the elements had their way with it, leaving my fabulous painted on porch rug less than fabulous. So when it was time to create a new porch rug, I wanted to mix it up a bit. And try my hand at diamonds this go around. And I figured out a way to do it without having to deal with
how to paint a diamond rug on wood floor, flooring, how to, painting, porches
Here's the original front porch before I got my hands on it.
how to paint a diamond rug on wood floor, flooring, how to, painting
Here's rug #1 in it's just painted fabulous form.
Here's rug #1 after enduring three brutal Chicago winters.
And here's rug #2. The diamond-patterned one that requires no math skills ...
The secret lies in this cardboard diamond template. A template that I simply traced around to create the diamonds.
I used a rule and box cutter to get a straight edge when taping off the diamonds.
Once it was all taped off, I sealed the tape lines with a credit card. And a second secret step that you'll need to visit the blog to learn. But it truly helps to get clean lines ...
Then I gave the diamonds black paint.
To finish it off, I added a border of green.
And was thrilled when all the tape was removed -- and a few touch ups added. I can only hope that this rug can endure three more brutal Chicago winters ...
Linda @ it all started with paint

• Diena Cameron

Really cute Linda @ it all started with paint. I have always wanted to try this and now I have the perfect porch to try it on. Also, ihavebeen wanting to try painting the fringe on it. You certainly helped make the diamond pattern seem so easy, i hope it really is ( = Doesn't someone out there make a non-yellowing poly ?? Sure seems like there should be one out there. I wonder if Annie Sloan paints makes one. I have heard so many good things about this paint, they make a milk paint or chalk paint. Supposedly you don't have to prime or sand or clean the area ( other than the normal broom or sponge cleaning )Now that's my kind of paint. Thanks so much for sharing, you're very talented, you should start a portfolio, lol. Just think of the possibilities ie Valentines Day, St. Pattys Day, Christmas. ...............oh the possibilities !

• Hope Williams

Great vision and execution! Live your idea! Beautiful!