Create a Gingerbread House Bird Feeder

A fun, seasonal way to feed the birds, with a Gingerbread House Kit!
I’ve been wheeling my shopping cart past the cute gingerbread house kits in the grocery store since Thanksgiving and also admiring the edible birdhouses at specialty bird seed stores and garden centers. I decided to make an edible feeder using a gingerbread house kit, more palatable for the birds and my wallet, without the $40 – $60 price tag of the edible birdhouse/feeders.
Pick up a Gingerbread House Kit at your grocery store or Walmart. I found mine for $9.99. Better yet, grab one when they go on sale after Christmas for a fun project for the kids to enjoy in January!
I used a combination of peanut butter and cornmeal as the adhesive for the seed and edible materials to cover the gingerbread house walls and roof. Crackers make tasty windows and doors.
Chex cereal becomes 'cedar shakes' for the roof and window panes, sprinkled with seed trim.
Build your house in the tray that comes with the kit. I used a bead of hot glue rather than the royal icing for stability for this outdoor feeder. I added a 'ridge vent' of Chex cereal to cover the seam where the roof panels join.
You can make this gingerbread house bird feeder as fancy or as simple as you want, using a combination of seed, popcorn, pretzels, crackers, nuts or dried fruit. Set it outside and watch your feathered friends enjoy their edible house and treat!

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Joanne D'Abate

What was used for the dark color on the roof edges of the bird ginger bird house�? My granddaughters anto buil??
    • Joanne D'Abate

Oh! How cool!! Thanks, Mary. That’s an excellent idea👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻�

• Eileen B.

I bought a gingerbread house mold and I am going to use it to make fairy houses and birdhouses out of cement

• Ellen

What a great idea for the wildlife AND the kids! And thanks for sharing!