Asked on Dec 18, 2014

Please give me your opinions on these.

Beth McGareyDonna FieldsSusan
+120

I finally got the E6000 to hold my candy canes. I needed something stable in the middle so I glued 2 pieces of cardboard together and painted it red and glued to the back. The color is cherry red and a little darker than the canes so I thought about placing extra pieces of candy around it so I took a pic of one with and one without. So tell me what looks better please. Also where should I tie a ribbon to hang it with. It's going to be a little fragile but if it's not man handled I think it will work? Thank you.
  • Gail@Purple Hues and Me
    Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Cute, cute, cute! I like the extra pieces in the center and I would place the hanger in the middle of the back where it's the most stable. You could tie a long ribbon from there to hang it.

• Lee Cunningham Green
    Lee Cunningham Green

I love it, anything holiday.. I think a ribbon or Giant Bow to make it festive but wonderful job!

• Valerie Binninger
    Valerie Binninger

super cute

• L
    L

Love both but maybe the top one just a little bit more! I agree with Gail and her idea of hanger position. So sweet (no pun intended) and pretty! ;-)

• Kletta
    Kletta

Thank you all. It's my second crafty thing I've done. The first one was for my 8yr old niece for school. That one turned out pretty darn good. I'm more partial to the top one. I was just a little leery about the cardboard pieces and the paint. I was thinking about trying to sell it. What do you think and what would I ask. Candy canes are cheap and I'm not worried too much about my time,I'm disabled now and at home a lot.

• Zelda McFarlane
    Zelda McFarlane

I liked the second one best. I don't think a bow would look right on it. Hanging it with a ribbon would be my choice.

• Judy Loy
    Judy Loy

Really nice job! They are both excellent!!!

• Kletta
    Kletta

Thank you. I hope the next one goes a lot faster than this one.LOL.. practice makes perfect,so I hear.

• Dianna Flowers
    Dianna Flowers

Not sure how it would look but you could also use the green and white peppermint rounds too. Just a thought!!

• Paulette Montoya
    Paulette Montoya

I like the second one better. Maybe add a few more starlite mints to the center also. great job!

• Diane Waddups
    Diane Waddups

On the center instead of mints I glued a glittery, plastic snowflake. I left the cardboard on the back white. Then put the hanging ribbon around two canes at top to hang. Hung well and this is the second year I've used it.

• Kathi Mureen
    Kathi Mureen

Both are cute, but I like the second one best.

• Kathy McDaniel
    Kathy McDaniel

Wonderful, how did you get them evenly spaced for a 5pt star.

• Kletta
      Kletta

@Kathy McDaniel it took me awhile to get it right. I finally ended up laying the candy canes out on a piece of cardboard and marking where I wanted them with a pen.LOl..

• Maria
    Maria

Made one with my grand-daughter, such a cute and easy Christmas project!

q candy cane christmas star, christmas decorations, crafts, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
  • Linda Thompson
    Linda Thompson

I love them. What a simple way to use candy canes. I'll have to try one next year. Thanks for sharing!

• Pam Bowers
    Pam Bowers

That is so cute and creative.

• Pam Bowers
    Pam Bowers

That is so cute and creative.

• Jayne
    Jayne

I like both

• Maggie C
    Maggie C

A really cool idea. I like the 2nd one best, but I would end up eating the ornament after the holidays, as well. I would figure up how much the canes and glue cost, and then figure a cost for your time. People don't value something too cheap, but of course they don't like anything too expensive, either. We're not real easy to please. LOL @Maria, yours is cool, too. I love the way the canes made hearts.

• Sue
    Sue

Very cute. I like the second one better too.

• Danee Kaplan
    Danee Kaplan

Really a cute project. I think they both look terrific. If you need to add a stabilizer like you did here I would consider using glittered chipboard and/or a snowflake shape rather than a circle just to keep it festive. You could use a cheap plastic snowflake ornament from any store or cut a chipboard snowflake with with any of the hundreds of dies or an electronic cutter. You may have to sandwich several layers of chipboard to make it thick enough to provide support, especially if you cut it on a Silhouette or Cricut. As for hanging I would recommend monofilament aka fishing line. A bow would overpower the design entirely and only the thinest ribbon will look right. A few of these in a big window- especially with a few small ones added- would be so adorable.

• Kathie taylor
    Kathie taylor

When I first saw this, the WOW factor hit me! Keep them up until Valentines!!!!

• Colleen
    Colleen

I attempted this project and the canes would NOT stick to the cardboard for some reason. Mine wasn't as pretty as yours are either. Maybe my cardboard wasn't large enough-I don't know. I put small chipboard letters on mine for "hoho". It looked pretty, but it wouldn't hold a bow either!! Happy Holidays to all.

• Kletta
      Kletta

@Colleen I ended up using E6000 on the ones I glued to the cardboard.

• Marlene Wilson
    Marlene Wilson

This is a beautiful Star you have made,I like it!

• Lorraine depaolo st.george
    Lorraine depaolo st.george

funny but, I like the first one...I'm an artist

• Rose Tomlinson
    Rose Tomlinson

really cool project.

• MaryStLouis
    MaryStLouis

I like the top photo with the cardboard showing. The extra cane pieces spoil the simplicity of this pretty design. As for hanging ideas, I would hot glue a picture hanger to the back of the cardboard if you think it's strong enough. If not, you could hot glue a string to both sides of the cardboard to create a centered ribbon.

• Anna Ibarra
    Anna Ibarra

Gosh, they are both a neat idea. But I aim more for the all candy cane look.

• Joseph Karsok
    Joseph Karsok

First one, less complicated design. Second cluttered, loses the delicate intricacy of #1. Ribbon, depends on strength of bonding. As close to center as possible. Maybe even thin wire or nylon string instead of ribbon.

• G B
    G B

Like these. Tried doing this last year using the glue gun...disaster.

• Cynthia
    Cynthia

I like the first one~ but I LOVE hearts so both are special~ Why won't the glue stick easily? Must be anothe type that would work better for simplicity sake! Use trilene (fish line) on the cardboard to hang! Sweet gift!

• Ellen
    Ellen

I tend to agree with @Joseph Karsok, that the first one looks better, although I like them both. Ideas from@Danee Kaplan appeal to me also, but the red anchors the center of the design and I would not change the color. If hanging is a problem due to the weight of the candy you might want to use a picture hanger type of thing, like maybe a paper clip (?) glued to the back of the center. But you may need a more stable center or heavier cardboard to make that work. I have had some projects tip forward when I tried to attach fishing line to the center back because of weight above that point. this is a very cute item. Good luck! Sorry! Had not seen @MaryStLouis comment. Sorry for duplication!

• Donna
    Donna

I like them both but the simplicity of the first one is striking. Great job!

• Pam Potter
    Pam Potter

I Like them both----from one crafter and artist to another---I think if you could trace the middle star shape and cut your cardboard to that shape and not the circle--and have it red or white---it would make them look much more attractive---Very creative

• Pam Potter
    Pam Potter

A hot glue gun will keep the candies together easier---If you do the star shape in a thick cardboard---you could put a tab off a soda can and hot glue it to the back--or poke wire through and move over and inch and poke back through and twist together and make it where that is the place to hang it---or you could cut two stars---and make a ribbon loop by glueing the ribbon strip on one side of the point and glue the other side on the other side of a point---make the ribbon showing or not showing---then glue the other cardboard star to the side-----or cut some stars out of wood to the shape in the middle and attach a picture hanger bar on them---hope one of these ideas will help

• Kletta
      Kletta

@Pam Potter Thank you for the idea. I'm going to try that next year.

• Margaret
    Margaret

Hard as both look great. Another idea for the backing - trivets.

• Myra
    Myra

Use a peppermint lollypop for the center?

• Nancy Shaw
    Nancy Shaw

I love the first one- that being said, I made one this year and had a very hard time hanging it. It finally fell off the wall and broke into a "million pieces". Good luck!

• Kletta
      Kletta

@Nancy Shaw I never could get a hanger to work on it so I just blinged it up some more.

• Myra
    Myra

I may try this this with clay just for an ornament.

• Cecelia Mavis
    Cecelia Mavis

I like the first one. could the ribbon be attached to the back of the cardboard or in between the layers of cardboard

• Denise D
    Denise D

I like the first one the best but the second is pretty nice too.

• Jac
    Jac

I vote for #2. The complexity of the center lends itself to actual snowflake patterns. Also, having been the recipient of unwrapped peppermint crafts, I hope you finished yours with a sealant. Spray poly, perhaps?

• Carole
    Carole

Please send me instructions? How do you get candy to stick together ? How would you hang this without breaking? Love them both! Awesome!

• Kletta
      Kletta

@Carole I'll try to give you some instructions. I used 10 canes on the bottom and 10 on the top. make each one into 5 hearts. I ended up leaving the wrappers on and hot glued the canes together. It took me some practice to get a shape and I ended up laying the canes out how I wanted them and drew a line to go by. I did the same thing on the top only turning them the opposite way and hot glue them together and to the bottom ones. Once you lay them out you can tell where to glue them. I just hot glued the peppermints around where I thought they looked good and I had already unwrapped them so used them that way. After I was done with it,it wasn't very stable so all I could think to do,at the time,was cut the cardboard and paint it. I used 2 pieces of cardboard and hot glued them together then painted it. I used E6000 to glue the top ones to the circle so it would be more sturdy. I decided to bling it up a little with red and white fake pearl necklaces that I cut apart and hot glued on,alternating the colors. There are several other good ideas posted by others too. Thank you. You could always use E6000 on the whole thing.

• Nancy Mangano
    Nancy Mangano

I like them both but the second one is better and I thought using something that's not candy so it can be up all year on the wall.

• Becky Fedler
    Becky Fedler

Saw this in a picture where people had started a tribute to the Slain New York police officers. Soooooo Sad.

• Kletta
    Kletta

Thank to everyone who likes it and commented on it.Means a lot to me since I'm not a crafty person but trying to learn. I tried and tried to put a ribbon on but it just wouldn't hold it. It's sturdy but not enough to hang. So I blinged it up a little and here is the final product. Hope you like it too. Just felt like I needed to do something with the red piece so i bought those red and white cheap string necklaces and used those.

• Pam Potter
    Pam Potter

went to Walmart yesterday and they have light weight wooden stars in the craft section and the star points are circles--perfect for this to be made on

• Lynn Clugston
    Lynn Clugston

I love it and can see several other ideas you could do. Could even try making with the small candy canes, that would be lighter. A comment about glue...I have used numerous types of glues with different craft projects and I think hot glue would be the way to go.

• Karen Wright
    Karen Wright

I think it is perfect in EVERY way---I would think a drink tab glued with the E6000 would be the best hanger---if you use a hot glue gun---the weight of the glue stick/ornament---it could pop off----also gorilla glue would be an extra expense to glue a hanger---but it is thinner than the others and it holds everything. It does not dry clear however so it would not be good to make the ornament with. It is a good purchase tho for just abt everything just like E6000. Please post your instructions----I am impressed and sometimes not so easily!!!!!!!!

• Kletta
      Kletta

@Karen Wright . I used 10 canes on the bottom and 10 on the top. make each one into 5 hearts. I ended up leaving the wrappers on and hot glued the canes together. It took me some practice to get a shape and I ended up laying the canes out how I wanted them and drew a line to go by. I did the same thing on the top only turning them the opposite way and hot glue them together and to the bottom ones. Once you lay them out you can tell where to glue them. I just hot glued the peppermints around where I thought they looked good and I had already unwrapped them so used them that way. After I was done with it,it wasn't very stable so all I could think to do,at the time,was cut the cardboard and paint it. I used 2 pieces of cardboard and hot glued them together then painted it. I used E6000 to glue the top ones to the circle so it would be more sturdy. I decided to bling it up a little with red and white fake pearl necklaces that I cut apart and hot glued on,alternating the colors. There are several other good ideas posted by others too. Thank you. You could always use E6000 on the whole thing.

• Sharon An Don Maloney
    Sharon An Don Maloney

love the second one I would use hot glue an wire an attach at top hide it with a small bow that matches the ribbon wrapped around the wile to hide it

• WannaBGardener
    WannaBGardener

#2 is my favorite. I think a ribbon would hide your creativity, but if you must have one put a small or medium sized ribbon at the top. Please post a final picture!

• Venus Thecla Correa Mynatt
    Venus Thecla Correa Mynatt

I thinks it's simply adorable! What a creative star you made. That would be a beautiful star for a Christmas tree or to hang on the door!

• Lelap
    Lelap

Whichever design you choose--I really like your bllinged up version--this is adorable! Success for a beginning crafter, for sure. I have seen packages of artificial candy canes that might be lighter and stayed glued together better.

q candy cane christmas star, christmas decorations, crafts, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor, These were in the Dollar Tree catalog 6 in a package
  • Ruidoso
    Ruidoso

All three are beautiful and for a beginning crafter--FANTASTIC! Use the 1/4 or 1/8 inch red ribbon fastened with hot glue. I would NOT hang it on a door unless you put it on a door that stays open or closed most of the time. It's too fragile. See, you ARE creative!

• Dawn Theisen
    Dawn Theisen

I love it!

• Patty Painter
    Patty Painter

Love the blinged up version too. Also you could paint the center white instead of red and glue some lace on it. Like a doily.

• Suzette Briggs
    Suzette Briggs

I really love # 1 it looks cleaner, but 2 is also cute.

• Kathie taylor
    Kathie taylor

Note to Florida people making this, don't use hot glue because of our 80* + weather. !Dollar Tree had the plastic ones at the beginning of this year.

• Kgirl
    Kgirl

Pretty cool!

• Nancy Mangano
    Nancy Mangano

I would use fake candy so you have no bugs, it would look good as a clock..

• Bessie Ashby
    Bessie Ashby

I made one. similar to this. I used hot glue to put 9 hearts together then I put a sparkley snowflake in the center and some small round plastic flat sided red jewls at the points of a few of the harts and one in the center of the snow flake.then I turned it over and hot glued some little round magnets on the back side of 3 of the little red jewels so I could put it on the refrig. I think it is beautiful.

• Kletta
    Kletta

Here's how I finished it. i bought 2 cheap fake red and white pearl necklaces and cut them..Then glued them around the star,alternating the colors.. i never could get a hanger on it. what do you think? I'll make some more next year and change it up so a ribbon can be used for a hanger. Thanks everyone.

• Pam Potter
      Pam Potter

@Kletta That is nice too---now if you want to keep the price down and stay with the candy theme---change the beads to per say---red hots cinnamon candy and white Tic Tacks for the white---or any red and white hard candy

• Amy Petracek
    Amy Petracek

I love this, if you just hang on the wall I think it should be ok, as a wreath on the door I think it would break the first time someone shuts the door. It is very pretty.

• Trace
    Trace

beautiful and creative.

• Nancy G
    Nancy G

so adorable!

• Valerie Jean
    Valerie Jean

Looks very nice!=== candy canes in all colors are on sale now @ Walmart, you gave me an idea I think I'll get the yellow ones, and the blue ones for wreaths that I can hang year 'round!

• Katrina Warren
    Katrina Warren

@Kletta I absolutely Love This! I'll be giving it a try using plastic candy canes! Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy
    Dorothy

Love this idea. So new

• Linn
    Linn

That is so clever! I really like the use of the peppermint candy instead of the pom poms. The cut candy cane in the center is pure genius! Thanks for sharing.

• Lori Brinkworth
    Lori Brinkworth

pretty but I think breakable, but then you eat them LOL

• Lottie_davenport @aol.com
    Lottie_davenport @aol.com

cute idea,but too much work, to break so easy

• Sherry Fram
    Sherry Fram

Wow that's a lot of work and very pretty! Like the second one best! I would attach a wide ribbon to the cardboard and to the canes it would be behind to hang it. I think it might give it a little more stability.

• Ruth Standish
    Ruth Standish

I like both of them but the first one is my favorite.

• Susan
    Susan

I love the one with the beads ... they give the wreath a very finished and professional look. Thanks for the great idea!

• Ruth Standish
      Ruth Standish

@Susan I have looked at both pictures and I don't see any beads, just candy canes and peppermint discs.

• Mary Ross
    Mary Ross

Love the one with the beads.....try painting the red discs silver. Celestial comes to mind.

• Georgeanne I
    Georgeanne I

That's lovely and creative. What's the problem?

• Sherry Valentine
    Sherry Valentine

Love it!!! --- Very Creative!!!

• Toooo cute!

• Sherry
    Sherry

I love both of them! You did a great job! :-)

• Lori
    Lori

love this idea, always love something unique

• Deborah Seamon
    Deborah Seamon

I do these every year and everyone looks forward to getting one now

• Valerie Jean
    Valerie Jean

Looks very nice, thanks for the helpful hints, I gathered all my supplies, and the season flew by, and NO wreath! Maybe next year. HNY to everyone!

• Hazel mckinney
    Hazel mckinney

I absolutely love this!! May I have your permission to copycat your wreath.

• Lori
    Lori

I like the extra candy pieces.

• Donna Makowski
    Donna Makowski

Extra candy pieces!!

• Kletta
    Kletta

Thank you ladies..

• Hazel mckinney
    Hazel mckinney

I love this and I am actually going to make this . So unique.

• Diane F
    Diane F

This is so unique! I prefer it without the extra pieces. Instead of using cardboard, would a plastic lid also work?

• Kletta
      Kletta

@Diane F Yes I'm sure it would. Anything to make it sturdy would probably work.

• Kathleen
    Kathleen

Wonderful either way - my grandchildren would me nuts for this so I think I will wait till they are a bit older to try it but it is just wonderful.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I would add a big red bow on to the center. Hot glue it to the extra candy (or a cardboard circle)

• Carrie Hawk
    Carrie Hawk

So cute.

• Carrie Hawk
    Carrie Hawk

Could glue a old CD to back for stability. Sparkle might be fun.

• Kerensa Zieske
    Kerensa Zieske

one might add themed scrap book paper to the CD if you don't prefer sparkle (I like the sparkle idea though)

• Lori
    Lori

This is beautiful! I agree that sparkle could be fun--a sugary sparkle. Love the graphic nature of this piece-- so tradional yet modern.

• Judith DAVIS
    Judith DAVIS

I liked the bottom one with the small pieces in the middle, gives it more ump!! If you know what I mean. Very nice idea

• Margaret
    Margaret

I think it is a fantastic idea and it looks great.

• Chris Teague
    Chris Teague

Love this! Without the extra pieces though, makes it to busy!

• Jean Myles
    Jean Myles

Awesome! I like the one without the extra pieces and I think the CD idea sounds great. Not a fan of seeing the red disc on behind.

• Barbars
    Barbars

Beautiful

• Debra Rainer Arthur
    Debra Rainer Arthur

I love both!!

• Eva
    Eva

I like the first pic best. it's less cluttered. I would jazz up the red backing with glitter trim in a frosty white color to make it pop... hand the hanger from it as well.
  • Allorrah Be
    Allorrah Be

It's a beautiful piece of work!! I would love to see it stuck in place with Command hangers or something "invisible" but a pretty red ribbon would be nice, too. I love it best without the extra pieces in the center; I'd put sparkles on the center piece. Maybe I'll try one next year!
    • Maureen dudley
      Maureen dudley

Love the top one, the red circle underneath stands it out. I would even think about green background, drop for the underneath of it, or sparkly (pearly) white.
  • Linda Thompson
    Linda Thompson

I like the top one. I made one of these for my friend this year for the holidays. She loved it. I should have put s red ribbon or bow on it. If I make another one, I probably will.
  • None
    None

I' craving candy canes now
  • Kletta
    Kletta

Thank you everyone. I'm surprised it's still being found on here to be commented on. ☺
  • Laura
    Laura

I used my oven to "glue" pieces together. Line a cookie or sheet pan with parchment paper and lay out your design. Place in pre-heated 350 degree oven. Leave only a few minutes for the candy to become tacky. Take out and shape. I love the peppermint bowls. Using parchment paper, lay candies touching and move out from the center to the size bowl you want. When tacky, remove from oven and drape over glass or bowl and let dry.
  • Susan
    Susan

Beautiful

• Donna Fields
    Donna Fields

107

• Beth McGarey
    Beth McGarey

They are adorable. We use to use hot glue on the candy cane wreaths we make but we may have to try the E6000 glue. We found that a CD on the back of the candy canes is another good way to help stabilize the wreath. You can either spray paint them silver or what ever color the candy canes are. One with no label also works!! Happy crafting!!