Amy Stafford
Amy Stafford
  • Cincinnati, OH

Hummingbird Moth Feeding from Butterfly Bush

The Hummingbird moth earns its name from its ability to feed from flowers like a hummingbird. They also resemble a cross between a small bird, complete with the fur and colorings of a common bumblebee when mature. Their wings are an incredible, intricate display of beauty and power, and can hold them in flight for as long as is required to feed. When they are born, they are the largest caterpillar found in Colorado, and they are generally a very large creature relative to their adulthood size.
hummingbird moth feeding from butterfly bush, pets animals
Amy Stafford

• Babsy

We have had several of these moths, they are so close to looking like hummingbirds!! I found an article in the newspaper last year. I have a large butterfly bush right in the middle of my front window! I love watching them and feed them weekly!!

• Erin

I have them in my yard. Last year's was bigger & stuck around longer than this year.