9 Strategies to Help Combat Common Edible Garden Problems

Do you find it too hot, cold, wet or dry to grow a food garden? Do you have poor soil, pests or limited space? If so, these strategies may be useful. I share a barrow load of seasonal weather tips & solutions; simple ways to build soil organically; easy indoor & container gardens + much more to overcome common problems. Dig in!
One of the strategies for building healthy soil - even when your garden is hibernating in the cold of winter or heat of summer, is to add nutrient accumulators. I love comfrey. It's just one example of a very useful plant you can use to solve common soil problems.
Comfrey grows easily from seed/root cuttings
If you need to protect crops, exclusion netting is an option for keeping out pest insects, birds and animals. It’s also worked very well in my garden to protect crops against hail, filtering tiny hailstones through and catching the rest. Taught netting has saved my garden from being shredded. It’s economical, easy to move and quick to erect.
Just be aware you may need to hand pollinate!
I try to work WITH the weather rather than fight it. In the heat I have a few strategies to protect my food crops. These are a few tips for potted plants in hot weather.
Tips for keeping container gardens happy
The article has loads more tips on harvesting/using rain water, timing your garden activities, using cover crops and green manures to build soil, easy indoor garden ideas, trench composting + more. I hope some of these strategies help in your garden.

The Micro Gardener - Anne

• Erin H

I'm going to assume she meant "potted" plants, lol

• CC

Lol, caught my eye as well. Great article, thank you for sharing.