Fabiola Villegas
Fabiola Villegas
  • Lake Forest, IL

we have swamp dirt on our yard so nothing grows, what can we do??

Douglas HuntFabiola Villegas360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+2

We tried planting some vegetables and flowers but nothing grew. There is hardly any grass and there are about 5 trees we do have dogs but we try to not leave them in the yard a lot. We rent this property. So if we want to fix this we don't want to invest a lot. Please help!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by swamp dirt, Fabiola, and you don't say where you are. (It would also help if you could post a photo.) I suggest you start with a soil test, which you can probably get through your county extension service for less than $10. If your trees are substantially shading the area you are hoping to grow a lawn, and you have dogs, that is a challenging situation no matter what the soil. You will probably want to try ground covers instead of grass, and provide mulched paths for your dogs.

• Jeanette S

Swamp dirt is like pond dirt...worthless! If you want a lawn, the only solution is to take it out for several inches and put in good dirt. That takes big bucks. So what you need to do is define yourself a private area...size depending on how much money you want to spend. Pick up every size pot you can find at yard sales, flea markets...everything from pots to tin tubs (yes, they make great platners). Your patio can be a mulch area with an irregular border...bordered by pots filled with good dirt and plants. A concrete block can be used as a riser to make pots taller! Things like gardinia bushes can be rooted and placed in pots for greenry. If your area freezes, put them in the garage in winter. Grasses look great in biggger pots and add interest and screening. Old doors constructed like a fence can add screening. Then let the dogs enjoy the rest! A cover can be built over time if you so desire.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Hey Fabiola, I am with Douglas, I don't really know what 'swamp' dirt is. But oddly enough I found this interesting pin on pinterest just a few minutes ago, maybe it will help you. http://pinterest.com/pin/98657048058404643/

• Fabiola Villegas

Thank you all for your input.. But Jeanette I'm going to have to go with your suggestion I'm a bit upset because it's a nice size yard... Actually we are building a big wood box to use as nursery next spring and also a few hanging planters. Wish me luck!!

We look forward to seeing what you do. Please post pictures when you finish.