Miriam W
Miriam W
  • Hometalker
  • Alpharetta, GA
Asked on Oct 14, 2012

How do you clean candle soot that is lightly covered all over Mohawk Smart Strand light colored carpet?

Mary InsanaKMS WoodworksGail Salminen
+10

Answered

How do you clean candle soot that is lightly covered all over Mohawk Smart Strand light colored carpet?
13 answers
  • Miriam W
    on Oct 14, 2012

    I have vacuumed over the carpet many times and it still has a dark stain covering the entire carpet except where the furniture sits. You are not suppose to use chemicals on SmartStrand carpet. Does anyone know who you can hire to clean it?

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Oct 14, 2012

    I not exactly sure you mean candle soot...candle soot is normally confined to a few inches from where the candle is...not sure how it can cover an entire carpet. This soiling sound more like normal dust and dirt. I have seen this cleaned up by most pro's who use heavy duty truck based equipment.

  • Miriam W
    on Oct 14, 2012

    The candle was being burnt in the bathroom and in the bedroom I had a ceiling fan on. Believe it or not, since the candle was burning for 6+ hours the black smoke came into the bedroom and lightly covered my carpet. Now the creme carpet looks dingy and dirty. I found black soot on the fan blades, the bed skirt and some of the furniture. The carpet is only 2 years old and is the Mohawk SmartStrand in which you are not to use chemicals on. So I don't know what to do. Thanks for your help!

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Oct 14, 2012

    Sound like it is time to get some new type of candles...I burn Soy wax ones...it the flame is making any type of smoke you need to trim your wicks. Sounds like a call to the Mohawk is in order. At some point in time every carpet will need to be cleaned...do they expect you to never need to clean it? I do know that steam cleaning carpets is pretty neutral since no chemical are used, but if there is an oily soot type residue then some type of surfactant will be needed. Mohawk should be able to tell you what type may be best...it may even be a type of dry cleaning solvent.

  • Miriam W
    on Oct 14, 2012

    Thanks for all your help!! No more candles for me.

  • Mary Insana
    on Oct 14, 2012

    I have had a couple times where a trimmed wick fell on the carpet and it made a dark smudge. I just used a spray of carpet cleaner and and old rag to clean it up. I'm not familiar with the type of carpet you have though.I agree with KMS. You need to keep an eye on any candle. Trim those wicks! Burning for 6 hours is pretty long. If I know I'll have a candle on that long I blow it out, trim the wick and relight it.

  • Miriam W
    on Oct 14, 2012

    You guys are right. I made a big mistake. I am going to contact Mohawk SmartStrand and see what I should do. :-(

  • Mary Insana
    on Oct 14, 2012

    Miriam...we all make mistakes, everything will work out :)

  • Gail Salminen
    on Oct 14, 2012

    @Miriam W - if you have an inconspicuous area, you could try some oxy- clean spray. I have found this to be incredible at removing stains and being gentle on fabrics. Even took wine out of a white sofa two days after it was spilled - just didn't notice it till I thought it was too late, no ill effects on the upholstery, but it all worked out. They also have an oxy spray for baby things in our laundry aisle. - good luck.

  • Mary Insana
    on Oct 14, 2012

    I'd try what Gail suggested. If it works and you have a carpet cleaner I'd use the Oxy in the carpet cleaner.

  • Mary Insana
    on Oct 14, 2012

    Since the candle got soot over so many things in your home, I would suggest calling your homeowners insurance. A friend of mine lit the wood burner in her house soon after she moved in and don't know why but it spewed dark smoke and everything in her house was covered in the residue. Homeowners insurance sent in a recovery company like they do after a fire or water damage and they cleaned everything from floor to ceiling even the inside of her white kitchen cabinets. needless to say, she never used the wood burner again. she now uses it and the mantle behind it as a the showplace to decorate for holidays.

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Oct 15, 2012

    @Mary I. Sounds like she needs a Chimney inspection / cleaning. Any wood burning appliance that puts out that much smoke means...Something is wrong.

  • Mary Insana
    on Oct 15, 2012

    KMS, she just stopped using it altogether and that was about 12 years ago. She said she will never try to light it again.. Even if she had it cleaned and inspected she probably wouldn't use it. She is parnoid about everything. I told her to just get it taken out so she has more room in her family room.

Your comment...