Asked on Dec 23, 2014

What do you use to clean grout on a honed marble floor?

LindaJenny CampbellCaroline
+30

I have a honed Carrera marble floor in my master bath. Every product I have tried etches the marble (if it works at all) or the grout looks just the same after scrubbing. I have tried many natural solutions off of Pinterest and retail products with zero results (one worked well but etched the tile) and it's getting frustrating. Does anyone know what will work without damaging the stone?
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie

You can rent a vaporlux machine. Or actually it's a big steam cleaning machine. I use it to clean my grout and tile. You point the hose at the grout and it melts the dirt off with steam and wipe it off. All tool rental stores carry it.

• MaryStLouis
      MaryStLouis

@Sherrie Thank you! I'm over on YouTube watching a performance video right now so appreciate your suggestion. I had never heard of anything like this.

• Sherrie
    Sherrie

My husband managed several took rental companies...I get to try everything out! This is my favorite one! Half of my house is tile and I clean it and reseal it every year. Messy but cheaper than paying someone else to do the exact same thing to clean your grout! Hope it works for you, let me know.

• Edie
    Edie

Grout gets really clean with half cup of baking soda mixed with hall cup of bleach. Apply to grout lines let sit for 20 minutes and then scrub off.

• MaryStLouis
      MaryStLouis

Unfortunately, I have learned that bleach turns Carrara marble pink. Thank you, though, I appreciate your reply.

• Denise Hardy
    Denise Hardy

Hi - we have a house in Spain which is all tiles and I use a product called Salfumente - not sure if they sell in the US though - but you could google it in your area? This stuff just 'melts' away the grime - but you need to wear rubber gloves - also it does not damage the tiles!

• Cornelia Schott
    Cornelia Schott

I like your floor and curtain combination! I am a big fan of what Edie said to clean my marble >>> baking soda and bleach. My marble is in my foyer. I hope it works for you!

• Sharon
    Sharon

If the steaming doesn't work as well as you'd like, try Grout Renew at Home Depot. It's a bit time consuming since you paint it on but it completely changes the grout color and seals in one step. You could try the gray and it won't yellow like white does over time. I did my kitchen and foyer floors, came out beautiful. It's about $7.

• MaryStLouis
      MaryStLouis

That's great to know. I've seen it in the store but was unsure about it so your recommendation helps.

• Shari
    Shari

Since Sherrie suggested steam, I'm assuming steam will not hurt the marble so what about a steam mop? I bought 2 of these (1 for me; 1 for daughter) almost a year ago and it is awesome! This thing has changed my life. Seriously! Mopping (and grout) used to be a pain in my .... Definitely my most dreaded chore but I actually somewhat look forward to mopping now with this steam mop. The very high number of 5 star reviews sold me on this model and I love everything about it. http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-Powerfresh-Steam-White-1940/dp/B0091YYUAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393908490&sr=8-2&keywords=bissell+powerfresh You could consider renting one of the machines Sherrie suggested to do the initial cleaning and then you could follow up with regular moppings with a steam mop to keep the tile and grout looking fresh and clean.

• Sherrie
      Sherrie

What I suggested is totally different than a steam mop. A lot of companies who clean grout use these machines. It get boiling hot and melts the dirt off. It isn't for everyday cleaning. It is once a year cleaning and then you neat to reseal the grout. Different sealers last different lengths of time. Some are good for 6 months, some for a year. I always reseal with the sealer that last a year.

• 117135
    117135

I have also used the Grout Renew! It worked great for me and I have been very happy with the outcome. I used it last March on my bathroom floor and they are still looking great!

• MaryStLouis
      MaryStLouis

Awesome! If I can't find the big steamer cleaner at a rental yard I know now that I have a backup plan. :)

• Barbara Burnham
    Barbara Burnham

Love Grout Renew. Sold in little bottles in flooring section of big box home improvement stores. Did entire house floor and countertops with toothbrush. Tile even looks new and I accented a different color from the tile so mute the contrast. House was a repossession and is now a rental. Every looker LOVED the tile......I think it was really the grout. Did all of it in one day! Never had a steamer do this!!! Lol

• Elisabete Matias
    Elisabete Matias

Se pulvulhar com bicabornato de sódio e em seguida aplicar vinagre vai fazer efervichencia e depois esfregar com uma escova de dentes fica como novo e não danifica nada

• Denise Rankin
    Denise Rankin

Sounds as if your tile needs to be sealed again. That should help with the "gounding in" of the dirt.

• Leslie
    Leslie

Try using dryer sheets, it may take a little muscle. The grout will come clean. Once you have cleaned it and the squares, mop the floor once a week, dry, with the sheets. I have been using them for years on my marble end tables and coffee table. The are close to 50 years old an look brand new. Let me know how it works for you.

• MaryStLouis
      MaryStLouis

@Leslie That is something I would never have thought to do. Thank you, Leslie, I will do that this weekend and will let you know. Interesting!

• Brandi Lynn
    Brandi Lynn

I realize that time has passed - a lot of time lol - I use my steam cleaner and my favorite cleaner or I've used vinager. Love my steamer! Will never be without it now

• MaryStLouis
      MaryStLouis

@Brandi Lynn Thanks, Brandi. We sold that house with those high maintenance floors. :)

• Renee
    Renee

I have the same marble tiles and quarry tiles through out my home. I've found a gel toilet bowl cleaner w/ bleach has made it the easiest to clean the tile and grout. Get a good grout brush, and I used re-juvinate grout paint and tiles sealer ( Home Depot) took a few days, cleaning and painting, but it has worked. I have a family of 6 ( All boys and 3 dogs. The paint and sèaler has held up for over a year.

• Julie
    Julie

A little diluted bleach and water lightly sprayed onto grout let dry..Or natural way baking soda and white vinegar rub with an old toothbrush wipe clean.Remember to seal your grout it helps keep it clean and mould free.

• Lynne Webb
    Lynne Webb

Have you tried foaming shaving cream and a toothbrush? I know someone who did that and it worked. Tiresome? Oh, yes, but then get something to renew the grout. It's sort of like a paint but seeps into the grout. Then use a sealer.

• Rupinder Dhingra
    Rupinder Dhingra

I have a thick layer of dry water on my bathroom's marble floor. No acid or chemical worked. It is going worst to worst. What can i do?
  • Caroline
    Caroline

Hi, I am in the Uk and I have a marble bathroom/shower room, the grout lines in the shower do get stained and I use simple "washing up liquid" in a small bowl and a toothbrush! The liquid doesn't scratch the marble - it's a very onerous job but the lines come up a treat, just remember to keep rinsing what you have done as it becomes VERY slippy! Once finished and rinsed with water I then use a non abrasive cloth to give the marble an extra shine!
  • Jenny Campbell
    Jenny Campbell

2 gallons hot water and 3 cups oxy clean put on with mop soak for 15 min, mop up may have to a brush on stubborn spots rinse with vinegar and warm water
  • Linda
    Linda

Test this on a small area and try to keep it off of the marble. Make a paste of baking soda and peroxide then apply it to your grout with a toothbrush. Let it sit a little and then remove with a clean cloth.