Teri Uliasz Boyungs
Teri Uliasz Boyungs
  • Queen Creek, AZ

Painted cheap plastic pumpkins to look like stone

I purchased inexpensive plastic pumpkins from both Michaels and Walmart (Total cost $11.00) The decorative pot I had, but painted it black and added some grass and then spray painted that black as well. I used tinted Drylock for the base coat (that is a paintable cement, water sealer/blocker, it comes white, but I had the man at Home Depot tint it for me. I also used acrylic paint to add definition (white, grey and black) Hope you enjoy.
3 inexpensive plastic pumpkins painted to look like stone
Close up of the final touches
Close up of the final touches
Teri Uliasz Boyungs

• GrandmaCarol Speight

I too am wondering how you held them together and also how do you keep any wind from "gifting them" to your neighbour/neighbor? ;)

• Linda Sikut

I did a lighted pumpkin project where I removed the light so I had the sticks left over. I put the stick through the bottom of the pumpkin and stuck the other end into the ground. We use Dollar Tree solar lights around our house, but they only last 2-3 seasons. I save the sticks in an old kitty litter container for other uses. You could also use a dowel to run from top to bottom and into the dirt or even a strong stick that you find around your house or in a park. Or how about an old curtain rod? Look around your house and see what you have. :)
    • Teri Uliasz Boyungs

Pumpkins are held together with construction adhesive. I filled a small plastic pot with concrete and set a wooden dowel in the concrete then up through each tier of pumpkin
  • Sandy

What gives the texturing on the pumpkins. I know you faux painted, but it looks like the Drylock gives a stone texture. Thanks and I so want to do this.😊

• Beth M

They look awesome! I was trying to avoid the "need" to purchase the fake pumpkins, but I think I'm beginning to cave with this idea....

• Jenni C.

Spooky...Did you use rebar & liquid nails to hold the stack together? This would totally get stolen from my yard....