Morena Hockley
Morena Hockley
  • San Antonio, TX

DIY Marquee Letters That Light Up - No Outlet Required!

I love all things retro and vintage, so I'm crazy about marquee letters! I've seen tutorials for making your own that involve strings of lights, but I didn't want to have to deal with cords and outlets, so I came up with this idea. My marquee letters are portable and can be used standing as part of a display or hanging on a wall. They would make fun party or wall decor.
Marquee letters
Marquee letters
Supplies Needed:
Paper Mache Letters
Black Paint
Distress Crackle Paint in Pewter
Card Holder Ornaments
Tea Lights
Self Adhesive Velcro
E6000
Sawtooth Hanger
Light up letters
Light up letters
It looks great as is, but when you’re ready to light it up, just pull off the tea light, turn it on, and reattach with the velcro. Replacement batteries are also available, and with the velcro it’s easy to change the batteries as needed!
diy marquee letters the light up, crafts, electrical, lighting
Morena Hockley

• Megan Karetny

Love it!

• I like the idea but it would get old fast changing out batteries when they get low just to keep an even brightness. For the one I am putting together I am using a 10 count string of outside party lights. That way I can change them out from a round white light to Stain Glass, Orange ,Blue..the choices are never ending...