Elizabeth Rodriguez
Elizabeth Rodriguez
  • Brooklyn, NY

Re-finishing

Susie ColeCarolAnna Ibarra
+5

Hi, does anyone know anything about getting furniture (5'x7' bookcase) refinished? Is it hard to do yourself or should I find someone to do for us? If I want someone to do for us -- can you recommend someone in the NY metro area?
  • 3po3

It's not technically difficult to refinish most furniture, but it can be a lot of work, and it can take a lot of elbow grease.

• Patty @ Always Something

If you want to paint it, it is fairly easy. If you want to restain it, it is a bit more complicated. I have had great success painting furniture with chalk paint. Check out my blog post on making your own at http://alwayssomethinghome.blogspot.com/2012/07/more-on-chalk-paint.html. Good Luck!

• KMS Woodworks

Like Patty mentioned above paint is a lot easier than stain of clear wood finishes. Do you know what the bookcase is made with? I find soild wood way more forgiving than "ply" types. Solid wood can be sanded with out worry of sanding trough to the core materials. If you have the space and the time it can be a rewarding experience. I find a lot of solace in my woodworking.

• Gail Salminen

Elizabeth, not too difficult to do on your own. Need to know the material you are working with. If wood can be stripped/sanded and stained. If you don't want another stain, or it is not a wood base, you need to use a paint intended for furniture so that it is more durable. I have refinished both mediums and had good success. Was ;much cheaper than buying new for the decor I was changing to :)

• Elizabeth Rodriguez

Thanks for the tips I will look into this more and let you know how it comes out. :o)

• Anna Ibarra

Do it yourself, cheaper, and you can choose a variety of ways to do it. Find out what type of wood, or non wood it is. There are plenty of Big time DIYers here who can do that with their eyes close. Just get savvy and choose your options. You'll also be so glad you did it yourself. Good luck, and post your finished project here.

• Carol

It all depends on the trim on the bookcase and wheather or not it is veneer or solid wood and if it has anyantique value If solid and plain trim, you can do it, otherwise call in the pro.

• Susie Cole

Look into chalk paint...