Gold-Dipped Side Table Pals

35K Views
I found these two tables on separate occasions of thrifting and concluded that they would pair up fantastically for a set of gold-dipped tables, a project I'd been wanting to try out for a long time!
  • gold dipped legs on side tables, home decor, how to, painted furniture
Here's both of their "before" conditions:
Both were in pretty rough shape with smudges, grime, stains, chips - you name it, they had it!
After giving them a good cleaning and using wood filler, I lightly sanded them down and then finally began to paint! I used General Finishes milk paint in the color "Linen", which is a nice off-white with a slight antique tone. Very pretty!
Looking better already!
Next came the "gold-dipping" step. I sealed them off using Frog Tape and trash bags. Frog Tape is WONDERFUL - it is gentle so that I don't have to worry about it peeling my new paint off with it when removed, and keeps the paint from bleeding when I sprayed the gold on. I used Valspar's metallic gold.
For finishing touches I used gold Rub 'N Buff on the drawer fixtures and lined the insides and sides of the drawers with pretty scrapbooking paper in a black and white damask design.
They look so glamorous together! Such a stark difference from what they used to look like!
If you'd like to learn how to "gold dip" your own furniture, the to Rub N' Buff technique I used on the drawer handles, or to see more pictures, hop on over to my blog at dravenmade.blogspot.com. :)

Suggested materials for this project:

Living in a Fixer Upper

Ask a Question