Louise
Louise

I have some TINY basil plants I started from seed in a planter outside. I'd like for some of them to survive the winter.

Designs by BSBLouise360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+5

I suppose I can put them in some pots and put them in a sunny spot or under a florescent light? I get very little sun at my house because I have so many trees. I also have two planters full of lettuce plants that are maybe 3 inches long. Any way to save them?
  • 3po3

I've had basil plants that have survived the winter in a little indoor herb garden by the window in my house. I don't know about the lettuce, though. My lettuce plants are always very fragile.

• Jeanette S

My son is a plant nut! So he and I decided to try and save a large palm and some of our favorite plants. We have a screen porch that is not used in cold weather so we put a metal shelf out there, put the plants on the shelves and when it was freezing, wrapped an old cloth sheet around the shelf and put a spotlight at the bottom for heat. Did the same thing with the sheet by wrapping it and lighting it too. We uncovered everything during the day so they could get light. I think it was worth the effort.

The secret is getting them enough light. If you can do that, you have a good shot at them surviving indoors.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Basil loses a lot of the flavor when brought inside for the winter. You can chop the leaves and freeze in olive oil ( using ice cube trays) and thaw out for fresh tasting basil. It is easily sprouted from seed for next springs crop.

• Louise

These are so small they can't be chopped. I planted seeds way too late, I guess, but Lowe's was selling them. Little did I know. :-((

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

well....they don't lose all their flavor...I think you should go for it and see what happens :) The great basil experiment!

• Louise

I'll keep you posted on what happens. :-)

• Designs by BSB

I bring my basil in every winter because i cannot live w/o fresh basil ! I do get sunlight by my front door... Ive never noticed if there is a change in flavor. If it does lesson ... it certainly is still leaps and bounds over using dried varieties