Asked on Jan 4, 2015

Light cord for re-wiring a hanging chandelier

Ken EricksonSusan Moody-BusheyBusyBeeEmily
+10

I'm hanging a chandelier above my kitchen table, but have decided not to hard-wire it in due to the fact that we will be putting our house up for sale in the near future. I know the light works because I already tested it with a plug, but I need to get about 25 feet of new electrical cord to be able to reach a plug on the wall. I'm hoping to find some online for a good price, by the foot, and preferably in a silver or gold finish as I'm painting the whole thing, including the chain, in cream. Does anyone know of a source?
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S

Home Depot and Lowes carry electrical cable by the foot. Another option is to buy an extension cord and cut of the end. Just be sure to cut off the end that doesn't have the prongs to go into the wall outlet. You have to get the same gauge of cable that the light fixture already has.

• Josephine Howland
      Josephine Howland

@BusyBeeEmily We did the same thing to a chandelier given to us. We went to Home Depot and got a long cord with a plug already attached, a long length of the decorative chain, and the ceiling hooks. They have it nicely all hanging together in their light dept. I'm sure someone there will walk you right through it.

• Michelle
    Michelle

swag light kits are available at home depot and lowes

• Becca
    Becca

We have bought cords at Lowe's and online, online is cheaper. If you sew, you could always make a long sleeve to slide onto your cord and scrunch it a little.

• Carol
    Carol

On Ebay, look under lighting parts and accessories. that is where I get mine.

• BusyBeeEmily
    BusyBeeEmily

The cords they sell there are only 12 feet long, with the plug attached. I need twice that length and I want it to be more decorative than the brown cord they carry by the foot in the electrical dept. I know how to do it already, I just need a longer length of cord that isn't brown or black.

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Why don't you want to hard wire? If I were a potential buyer, I would find this odd and possibly a red flag. Think the cost of getting hard wiring done will pay off. If you are really attached to the chandelier, you can always switch it out before you show the home.

• Alice  Gatto
    Alice Gatto

Try IKEA they have cord and light sets that they sell with their paper lights. You may be able to use one of those. I had mine done by an electrician though, it didn't cost that much, and it can be changed out for another fixture (already purchased) when the house is put on the market.

• BusyBeeEmily
    BusyBeeEmily

Ikea's cords are not long enough. Our home is very new and modern, and no one will think anything of not having a hard-wired light. It's just a major ordeal to get it done because of where it will be situated, and not an easy fix. I don't want to pay that amount of money when we are going to be moving in a year. I'm just looking for a resource for light cord by the yard! IF you know of one, please let me know! THANKS!

• Becca
    Becca

The big box home store have spools of electrical wire that you can purchase by the foot. You can buy the plug separately and wire them together.

• BusyBeeEmily
    BusyBeeEmily

I know they have the spools, but they are black and brown. As I mentioned, I need gold or silver and I'm looking for a source.

• Susan Moody-Bushey
    Susan Moody-Bushey

Buy the wire and paint it the color you want

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

Home Depot and others have cord sold by the foot.