Tracy W
Tracy W
  • Orland Park, IL

Real Stone Fireplace...keep it "as is" or do a makeover? I can't decide! HELP!

Ok I need your honest opinions. This is my fireplace in my family room and it is from 1977. It is real stone and is very "ski lodge". Now I don't hate it but obviously it can use some major updating. Lemme know what you think - don't worry about sparing my feelings - I need to know what you really think. Thank you for your help!
Here is it - sorry the Christmas picture is the only one I currently have.  :-)  It is in great shape and the hearth is also in perfect working condition.  But is it too dated?
Here is it - sorry the Christmas picture is the only one I currently have. :-) It is in great shape and the hearth is also in perfect working condition. But is it too dated?
I found this picture on Houzz.com and I love the updated stone and mantel.  Can I add a mantel and get close to this look?  Should I color the stone in the tan family?  So confused.  :-)
I found this picture on Houzz.com and I love the updated stone and mantel. Can I add a mantel and get close to this look? Should I color the stone in the tan family? So confused. :-)

• Erin Peters-Fortunato

I'm in the same predicament but the stone is castle stone that was imported for weight after exporting apples. My house is over 100 years old and we're so afraid 😨 to start drilling, etc. We have a mantle a friend salvaged from a barn removal but it just sits!
  • Sherry

If it were me, I'd just add a substantial wood mantel, like the inspiration pic you have. You could just change out the art atop the mantle for updates. That's a gorgeous, timeless fireplace:-) But- I've seen your other posts so whatever YOU decide, I'll love to see as everything you do is genius and inspiring