A Simple Thrift Store Box Looks High End With Stenciling and Plaster

18K Views
From plain to fancy with paint, a plaster stencil and a plaster mold.
  • upcycling a thrift store box with stenciling and plaster, crafts, repurposing upcycling
It was pretty beat up but was made of solid wood and was in great shape.And it only cost me $3.00! Ah, a new project for paint and plaster!
The box front had a recessed opening in it so I used a Raised Plaster Stencil with joint compound to create a design on either side of the recess.
I primed the box and cast an ornamental square piece from a plaster mold. Once it was dry, I also primed it. My intention was to place it over the recess to hide it.
I first painted the entire box and ornamental piece a pretty sea green color and then used metallic gold paint on the box trim, plaster stenciling and ornamental plaster piece. I glued it in place over the recess in the box and Tah Dah! What a great new display box for treasures.
This technique can be done on anything that needs a bit of a make over. So don't pass up those treasures in the thrift store! They can be made beautiful with paint and plaster!

Suggested materials for this project:

Ask a Question