Christy
Christy
  • Morton, IL
Asked on Jan 4, 2015

Vinyl plank wood-look floor versus engineered hardwood

Mar32507417DevansBmi32050820
+170

We are building a new home and trying to decide between engineered hardwood or vinyl plank wood-look flooring. We have two kids and are wanting durability but want it too look nice too.
q vinyl plank wood look floor versus engineered hardwood, flooring, hardwood floors
  • Marion Nesbitt

I'd spend the bucks and get hardwood that can be resanded and refinished after 50 years! Do not like what is in the picture - looks cheap.

• Psk13623120

We did engineered, wide plank, reclaimed hardwood 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. Durable...effortless to keep clean and looks amazing.

• Donna Burdzinski

Some people say vinyl looks cheap, but if you don't have the money to install hardwood vinyl is the best alternative. We put vinyl in our home because we live out on a farm most of the time we bring in rocks and such in with us and we would rather get more vinyl in 10yrs than having to sand hardwood down in 2yrs. I guess it really depended on where you live and who you want to impress

• Terri Lewis Lyons

My husband is a flooring installer and I have helped him many times installing both the vinyl plank tiles and laminate engineered flooring. I prefer the vinyl. Yes, as in everything in the marketplace, there is a cheap product and an expensive product. If you buy cheap it will look cheap and it won't last. If you spend a bit more on a higher quality product it will look better and last longer no matter which way you choose to go. If you are installing this yourselves the LVP (luxury vinyl plank) is much easier....but do you have the proper tools and experience? That makes a difference too. Glue down vs. snap together? either one works. I like the snap together, although it really is a misnomer because it doesn't just "snap" together. The laminate is messy as far as breathing in sawdust, etc and it is not forgiving/hard to get under doorways (must remove baseboards and undercut the doorway jambs). Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

• Tina Baldwin

My husband installed vinyl in our bedroom and it's still looks beautiful 15 yrs later. Granted, it's not a busy area but if it still looks new 15 yrs later, I think it would work well in busy area also. I'm getting ready to put Pergo on all the floors of my new home.

• Carole

I would go the vinyl, purely because we are in and out the garden so much and wearing dirty boots and the dog has long nails as she is bush walked rather than walking on pavers, so her nails tend to be on the long side. She also drags a lot of muck in on her paws, especially when wet. Vinyl would be more practical if it gets a lot of rough treatment.

• Z

We just purchased bamboo flooring from the discount chain I'll call LL. I was never impressed with their ads since it seemed too good to be true, but when looking to replace carpet in an upstairs bedroom with hardwood we decided to go with bamboo as it's much harder than even oak. We have solid oak in all but the bathrooms and kitchen in our home and I can tell you after 11 years there are a few nicks. Not much, but since the bedroom is being used as a living room for our son and grandson we felt bamboo was the way to go. @Terri, is correct. If you chose to go vinyl, spend the extra and get a quality product, but if you're spending that much, you might want to go ahead and check LL's for bamboo. We got strand bamboo with the click installation. It has to acclimate in the room for 2 full weeks so ours will go in this next weekend. I can't wait!

• Christy

We are debating between the high quality vinyl plank or engineered wood. I just ordered a sample of the vinyl. The sample on the store looked good. I would love to see it in a whole room. We are generally easy on our floors but do have two young daughters and expect spills etc. I don't want to get nervous every time something spills on the wood. I don't want my kids to feel like they are going to damage the floor by just being kids. I also worry about what if the dishwasher leaks, etc and what that would do to wood. The house will be in an upscale neighborhood and while I am not personally worried about what others think, I worry about resale. As far as installation, I feel confident in the flooring company we are going with to do proper installation. Big decision.

• Fyr1139227

we have both. engineered upstairs. good quality vinyl downstairs. go for engineered. Vinyl SCRATCHES so easily despite what grade u get - and if it's a wood pattern IT SHOWS.
      If we did it again, having spent roughly the same- spend the bit more. We got an engineered Acacia engineered wood flooring and it stands up to everything- and is not buckling with canadian temp changes. Home Depot special ordered it was- but its a standard product. The thicker the better.

• Karen Bruton

We just installed (with the help of friends and family who are experienced with this stuff) hand scraped laminate in our entire house which was roughly 1300 sq ft. We can't stop getting compliments from our friends and family about how much it looks like hardwood. It's only .99/sq ft and we special ordered it from Home Depot. We have an active dog and a youngster and wanted something that would be durable. Couldn't be more happy with the results! Here's a link to the product: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Hand-Scraped-La-Mesa-Maple-8-mm-Thick-x-5-5-8-in-Wide-x-47-3-4-in-Length-Laminate-Flooring-18-65-sq-ft-case-HL1045/202925874 Hope this helps!

• Susan S

We put down vinyl, 12"x24" in our laundry room and guest bath from Home Depot. It has a matte finish, east to clean can be picked up if need to. Whether I would put it in a formal room, I would have to look at other designs and finishes but, it is definitely durable.

• Peggygordon

Had the vinyl plank in my laundry room and basement, having been assured that it was great for basements. I wouldn't do it again. It was not waterproof. Water got under the planks from a leak and the water squished out between the seams. I had to take the whole floor up. Right now the basement is plain old concrete until I can decide what to put down next - maybe sheet vinyl. I have done carpet, laminate, vinyl plank. Running out of ideas!

• Marion Nesbitt

Nobody has mentioned tile for the kitchen and entry ways. You don't say if you are living on a farm, ranch, etc. Have relatives that were farmers. The women would have done serious damage to the men if they ever tramped through the house with their boots on. Have maple hardwood and a tiled foyer. Have had 3 dogs at a time. just put an industrial rug at side entrance to take up some dirt and moisture on paws. Mind you, the poly or whatever they used probably had 30 years to cure. It is tough. Finish is still good.

• Sue

We put down a vinyl floor 3 years ago. It looks the same as the day it was installed. We love it!!!! We have a dog who was, at the time was peeing where ever she wanted to, so I knew I didn't want wood. The vinyl was the best solution as each piece is sealed to the next so no moisture could seep underneath. The recommended cleaner, Bona Laminate and Tile Cleaner left a sticky residue so I've used diluted vinegar ever since, which is also is known to kill germs and is safe for pets (and babies). The dog has graduated to a piddle pad since then and I'm as happy with the floor as the day it was installed. Go for it! You won't regret it.

• Christy

Thank you all for the great input. We currently have ceramic tile in the kitchen and breakfast nook of the house we live in now. We were wanting to avoid tile in next house as I do not like that grout seems to be hard to keep clean and tile is hard and cold on feet, especially if you are cooking a lot. I do, however like the durability. We will have tile in bathrooms. We decided we will likely have the vinyl plank wood look floor put in our kids's craft room first then decide if we like it enough for kitchen and entry area or if we want to stick with our original plan of hardwood. The vinyl plank we like is good quality and gray in color with a more rugged look of wood. It is textured like wood. It will be spring before we are ready for flooring in the house so we have a few months. Thanks again everyone!

• Carmen

The plank floor - HOWEVER, quality does count as someone pointed out. Also if the floor is not properly leveled the planks can shift with time and you will have small gaps.

• Laurilli

We had vinyl plank flooring put in 4 years ago. I didn't want laminate flooring after listening to my sister about hers (she has dogs). and I didn't want tiles (too cold) so went with the vinyl plank. Professionally installed glued down, was told I could heat a plank and replace them if needed (have not needed & really don't want to try) but they look as good as the day they were installed.

• RMae78

We recently bought a gutted house and installed plank flooring w plywood!!! Hardwood is not very durable and although it is yet to be known if this will withstand our 4 boys and 3 dogs, at least we will have not dumped thousands in. Also I LOVE the rustic look, rather than everything being factory cut looking.

q vinyl plank wood look floor versus engineered hardwood, flooring, hardwood floors, We ripped out wall replaced w reclaimed barn beams and made our own reclaimed barn wood flooring cheap and easy
    • Karin

I love the look you achieved on this floor! You mentioned that it was cheap & easy plank plywood made "reclaimed" barn wood? I'd really like to know more about the cost & how you created your own reclaimed barn wood & lastly what is plank plywood flooring? I have not even heard of use plywood for flooring but am VERY interested in learning more. Any insight, tips, advice or information you could share with me would be highly appreciated!!

• Liesl Schick

What flooring is in the picture?

• Lisa Loper

I am renovating a 100 year old home that has some rooms of wood floors that we were able to restore. The others rooms were a mess. Even though we leveled the house, there are still some minor issues. We went with floating vinyl plank flooring from Armstrong called luxe plank. We were able to match the original wood color and it looks great. The one we picked has a lifetime warranty. It is much easier to maintain than my 100 year old floor. You can got to Armstrong's Web site and see it and there is an installation video

• Heidi

I would love a link to the flooring photo above!

• Debbie Polly

Using Google Image Search I found this floor. Sadly, it is not vinyl. It is a hardwood. Historic Walnut, Alta Vista Hardwood Collection

• Chris

Depends on what products your looking at! With 2 kids I would lean towards vynil just because no matter how durable the engineered is its all about the finish that's used that's where you will get dents sratches ect. Just remember you get what you pay for!! Hope this helps

• Patricia

We went with the by vinyl in our current house. We had laminate in our last. We have four indoor/outdoor dogs and the vinyl it holding up way better than the laminate. One day I will go hard wood. As long as the dogs are with me, I am going to use the vinyl. People have asked if its real wood!!!

• Carol

I just did my home in the luxury vinyl plank by Karndean. I could not be happier. I've always had hardwood before and this is far superior in ease of care and peace of mind. It is just beautiful. And no hollow or loud noise when walking on it. Family and friends just love it and now want to do their homes. You do get what you pay for. It is not cheap by any means!! Oh and also In researching flooring, if you do decide to go with LVP, make note of whether it qualifies as a DIY or professional install is recommended.

• Amanda

Does it look like real wood? Do you know who makes the one in the pic and what the color is?

• Carol

This is my kitchen. My brother could not believe it was vinyl. The maker of mine is Karndean and the color Hickory Peppercorn.

• Debbie Bone-Harris

But what is the name/color of the flooring in the original photo above? LOVE LOVE LOVE it

• Tracy W

Agree - what is the source for the picture above. I love it!

• HUANYU FLOORS

vinyl floor is easy to install and clear.variety of colors and patterns also can match any style in your room

• Shirley Midgett

I have vinyl plank floors and they are terrific. Everyone complements my "hardwood" and they are super easy to care for. Do not mistake the "peel and stick" kind of vinyl for the planks, the latter are thicker, heavier, better in every way. They are IMPERVIOUS to everything wet and nasty including dog pee! You can wet mop them altho I just damp Swiffer mine. They will scratch but not easily, we shove the sofas around with nary a mark. Got mine at Lumber Liquidators, more expensive than many laminates, cheaper than wood. They do appear to be heavier and thicker and a little harder to cut than the wood products.

• LmBuskala

We have vinyl plank and engineerd hardwood. Vinyl is in a room that gets a lot of traffic and hss held up well. Easy to clean.

• Tony Pan

This is engineered wood by Hallmark Floors. This image was taken from our site. The product is Hallmark Floors' Alta Vista Historic Oak. http://hallmarkfloors.com/hallmark-hardwoods/alta-vista-hardwood-collection/

• Kristin Topping

Good question.In my opinion,Hardwood floors add warmth and character to any space, whether modern or rustic. And as long as you care for them properly,they'll continue to beautify your home for a long time.Thanks for nice posting.

• Lorraine McKay

Before you make your decision, research toxic off-gassing of vinyl floors. We laid the planks in a kitchen and family room and love the look and the ease of maintenance. Since that time, however, I have read that vinyl flooring of any type gives off a chemical that is collected in cells in our bodies and causes health issues.

• Alicia

Does anyone know what the name of the backsplash is in this photo?

• Chris

I have Allure Traffic master vinyl flooring & I love. No small children but I have 3 messy men & one large puppy. I never have to worry about water or scratching.

• TAB

I have vinyl flooring and it is fantastic. I live in the country - lots or mud, water, snow, dirt - the flooring is exceptional. There is even a cleaning product for vinyl flooring made by Roberts and comes in various finishes if you want some shine. One application should last you around 6 months with children. You won't regret your vinyl decision - Good Luck!

• Valerie

Regarding off-gassing and VOCs. We selected metroflor engage flooring. It has fooled so many of our friends and even the appraiser for our refi 😏. We have an English springer and a couple big guys with boots every day. It's so tough. It's a commercial product, so don't look at lowes for it.

• Pam

I'm about halfway done with installation of my Allure Trafficmaster Vinyl Plank floors right now. So far I LOVE them. My parents had engineered hardwood in their family room years ago and I remember how quickly that material got damaged and worn-out-looking so I knew I didn't want anything with any wood component in it. Everything I've learned about vinyl planks says the durability is far and away better than engineered hardwood. And with two cats who are jerks (and like to knock stuff off surfaces onto the floor) I knew I needed waterproof floors. Can you image a glass of water being knocked off the cupboard 10 minutes after I leave for work and coming home 8 hours later to a ruined hardwood floor? Ha! Vinyl won that argument.

• Marie

Can someone tell me what color is the vinyl floor in the photo above?

• Ahasty

http://www.nicefloors.com/c/57/usfloors-coretec-plus-vinyl Check out COREtec Plus. It's waterproof with a cork back for cushion and warmth. It's a top seller in the US and it looks great!

• Hi! Christy, I love this flooring after having seen it done in your kitchen? Anyway I have a terrible time trying to figure out what pattern or brand to use and when I saw your project which turned out fabulous I thought??? I love this floor. Could you please tell me where you got this floor and could you please give me the name brand and pattern information. Please???? I have got to use this for my family room and kitchen. And knowing now what I have just seen done I love it and want to use it. Thank you so much for your time. Barbara, Michigan

• Edwall94

How do I find out the colors used in this kitchen???

• Pati Hays Richardson

The concrete floors in the house we purchased, are not level. We used the Allure Trafficmaster Vinyl Plank floors and LOVE them. No one believes that they are vinyl when they look at them.. We are getting ready to finish a room in our garage and will be using the vinyl again, in a different color. I highly recommend them!

• Loy

The floor in this photo is vinyl. For sure easier to clean in the long run. But consider the long-term unanswered questions about out-gassing and any voc in the surface finishing, Note the seams between the planks here, or is that a pattern mark on the vinyl?. If you don't know much about hardwood flooring and don't look closely, you can be fooled, especially by a photo. Hallmark Floors calls this Historic Oak. Unfortunately it's not actually reclaimed, though it's name would seem so. Care to do a comparison? http://www.wholeloglumber.com/reclaimed-flooring/species/oak/#prettyPhoto

• Diane Johanson

With vinyl you get what you pay for.Vinyl will not add value to your home's resale value, cannot be repaired if damaged and is not eco-friendly (or natural). It's like buying cheap furniture because you have kids, when in the long run a better quality piece will stand up to more abuse. Bear this in mind as you make your decision.

• Bernice H

I agree...I put vinyl planking in my house,and was secure in knowing that if the refrig leaked,I would not have the leakage problem I would have if I had put laminate down. It cleans so much easier than the current laminate I have in this present house. I was really happy with the vinyl planking and it always looked good. However I did have to put a finishing product on it afterward,to make it shine. Not a problem.and if a plank needs replacing I was assured..it is not a big deal.

• Pati Hays Richardson

The seams in mine are pattern mark and make them look like real wood planks...the laminate will not work on an uneven floor like the vinyl does and the vinyl does not warp and have to be replaced for water damage like other floorings. Also, with the vinyl that we used a damaged plank can be replaced.

• Debbie Boyd-Rigney

Upon reading all of the above it appears that the photo is not a vinyl product. That is disappointing. Here is a pasted copy of the information they posted... Would like to see photos of completed vinyl projects. Also, would like to know manufacture, model, and VOC. "This is engineered wood by Hallmark Floors. This image was taken from our site. The product is Hallmark Floors' Alta Vista Historic Oak. http://hallmarkfloors.com/hallmark-hardwoods/..."

• Karen

Hi I work at carpet one Over the last few years vinyl planks have emerged by over 300% Its the hugest selling flooring we have Its durable and with the right brand, it looks so real that it can fool professionals With kids and a dog, or a busy lifestyle Vinyl planking is the way to go

• Carol

This is my vinyl plank floor. The color is Hickory Peppercorn and the maker Kardean. I have had hardwood floors in the past and I would choose luxury vinyl planks every time. Durability, ease of care, looks are all superior. It does not scratch, warp or sound "hollow". And if needed, planks can be removed and replaced if damaged. No sanding or major cost involved. No one believes me when I tell them it is vinyl planks. LOVE my floors. Hope this helps. :)

• Bernice H

I totally agree! Loved mine also and wish I had it instead of this hard to deal with laminate that SOMEONE Else installed before we bought present house!

• Pati Hays Richardson

We have this throughout our entire house and love it.

, TrafficMASTER Allure plus Northern Hickory Grey resilient vinyl plank flooring
    • Carol

@Pati Hays Richardson My dads family is from OK. (Geronimo/Lawton). So glad you love it too. We have it everywhere but our bedrooms. The compliments and the "you are kidding...vinyl?" just keep on coming. :)

• Leslie Odefey

Does anyone know what the brand and name of this wood is? Thanks!

• Sue

I have it in my home and just love it, especially with pets. I'm not sure of the name, but I purchased it at Home Depot. After several years, it looks the same as the day it was purchased. Just be sure, when you lay it that you sweep and vacuum several times before laying the floor. Any debris, no matter how small, will show the imprint over time. Good luck and enjoy!!

• KatAych

Wow, I LOVE that floor in your sample photo!!! We have Pergo throughout (my parents put it in before we took over the house) and we H-A-T-E it...dents, water warps, you name it - can be seen everywhere. I MUCH prefer this!!!

• Pati Hays Richardson

Traffic Master Allure Ultra Plank Vinyl Northern Hickory Grey

• Does anyone know the name of the flooring in the picture and where I can find it??

• Leslie Johnson

We are about to build and are planning to use Mannigton Luxury vinyl. It looks similar to this, though I'm not sure if it's exactly the same. We are using Mannington's "Havana".

• Brett Lipton

If it is a kitchen then I would go with wood look porcelain tile, it is inexpensive, easy to install and lasts forever.

• Melissa Miller Jones

That's what the floor is called?

• Carol

Traffic Master Allure Ultra Plank Vinyl is the product name and brand. Northern Hickory Grey is the color.

• Lee N Floyd Hickman

Hand scraped Allen Town Hickory by Traffic Master at Home Depot.

• Stacey McGraw Porritt

Does anyone have the correct name of this flooring? I have searched the ones mentioned and they do not appear to be the floor. Thanks!

• Angi

Anyone know what this flooring is called in the picture? I LOVE it!

• Elixeo

I did a reverse search on the picture and as it turns out it is a stock photo. I was able to find something similar. See the image below.

• Donna Jason Chastain

What did you decide? I'm debating tile versus the vinyl planks too.

• Sue Sanders

In the picture the boards don't look like they are butted up to the boards on the sides....place for dirt to get into and cant be reached to clean.

• We did a remodel put in metro floor vinyl plank, and I am so sorry, it scratches terrible, my area around my table is awful from people sliding the chairs in and out, I so wish I would have gone with something else!

• Mary Gibson

We have hardwood floors and had the same problem. I put very small baby socks on all legs, problem solved and they stay on. Think thrift store.

• Irene King

Reasons I don't like laminate, vinyl, or tile - repeated patterns. I prefer the randomness of wood and bamboo. Yes, they cost extra, but they don't look like they just walked out of a factory, either.

• B. Enne

As long as they are not a click system or the type with one side glue strip, you can probably install them in a non random pattern. I have peel and stick cheapy tile in a small bathroom and rotated the pattern, and everyone asks if it is stone when they see it (until they touch it). I got the tip from an episode of the American staging tv show, Designed to Sell with Lisa Laporta. It makes a HUGE difference. On another Canadian show (Bye-bye maison ??) last weekend, I saw a home with high end finishes. The house was very nice, but the imitation marble porcelain floor in the kitchen wasn't popular with buyers, so the show was changing it. When they did a close up of it, you could see the pattern repeat, and I mentioned to my DH, that I bet if they had installed it randomly, people wouldn't be complaining, since natural marble is more random.

• Lro12501569

We put down vinyl plank in most of our house two months ago and absolutely love it! Very easy to clean!

• Lro12501569

i use an I spire mop by Rubbermade with a small squeeze of Mr Clean In the reservoir. I have 3 washable pads and it cleans great, doesn't leave a residue, and smells good! It is so easy to clean. all of my daughters have started using that mop. One has the plank, one hardwood, and one ceramic tile.

• Jacki

Who makes these flooring? I love it!

• Denise

Be careful when buying laminate - find out where they are "manufactured" not distributed. The floors manufactured in China are made from VERY toxic chemicals that are not allowed in the U.S. or Europe (figure that one out). We found a beautiful "distressed" laminate at Home Depot, made in Austria with "greencore". VERY affordable and beautiful at the same time.

• Pamelaad

We have dogs and cats...and I hate to clean. We tore up carpet (a no brainer with dogs) and then tore up the hardwood. Too hard to keep the hardwood looking good plus if a dog...or cat...or kid has an accident, the urine (and smell) seep in the wood cracks and into the sub flooring. Replaced it all with CoreTec vinyl. Still re-doing some rooms and the contractors we have in all comment on our beautiful hardwood floors. No one has asked what it is. Haven't had any problems...I clean up with paper towel, water and dilute bleach. I've had all types of floors...tile used to be my favorite but not any more. I saw a sign at a flooring store...it said "Have pets? We have the floor for you" I went in and told them to prove it. They proved it in spades. WE had a thousand year flood down here last fall....people who had the CoreTec just pulled up the floor, cleaned it and re-installed it. Perfect for beach living.

• Phoebe Rotert

Love my vinyl plank (from HDepot). Have had for 3 years. I tested it before install--the snap joints are waterproof. Perfect for messy family and dogs who leak. Easy care with vacuum or broom and wet mop. No dog nail scratches, no joints coming apart, looks great. This is the only floor for me.

• Nancy Evans Frieder

I went with vinyl plank and am glad I did. It's much better than the old vinyl floors. It cleans easily with no sticky build up. I hesitated to go vinyl because I usually choose something more organic, but I'm glad I went this route.

• Canadianlady

We have a vinyl plank floor in our lower level and a bona fide dark oak hardwood floor upstairs. I like the vinyl better, because it looks amazing, and it is so easy to clean. The dark hardwood, on the other hand, shows up every single speck of dust. It's high maintenance.

• Jennie Henderson

Redid my home last year. Got rid of the carpet and tile. Also, I have two cats and a 50+ lb inside/outside dog. I chose to put the vinyl laminate down for several reasons: pets, able to place throughout entire house ( including baths & laundry), looks like real wood without maintaince hassles. A friend spent several nights and admitted, had they not been told beforehand what it was, they would have sworn it was wood.

• Barbara

I have vinyl planking and it is nice. People think it's wood. You can mop it. The only problem I have is I live in Arizona and if I leave home for awhile I have to be sure to leave air conditioning on as the floor will buckle if the temperature is 90+ for too long.
    My handy man knows someone who went away for the summer and didn't leave the air on. When they returned the floor was ruined.
    Also can't have it where sun shines on it for a long period of time.
    I got it at Home Depot and it was the deluxe type.

• Lisa House

Did you leave enough room along the perimeter for the flooring to expand? The vinyl planking we used just needs to be snapped back into place if it should happen to loosen, then just add a bit of weight on it for a couple seconds and you can't tell anything had ever happened. Have had dogs mess on it during the night, cleaned up the next day with no effort, no change in the fit, look, and no residual smell. All in all we couldn't be happier with our choice.

• Sha39401

WhereWher To purchase th best premium quality vinyl plank flooring?

• Haley White Crane

If you are in Hattiesburg, Southern Interiors is a great place. They have first quality products they order directly from the distributors. No second quality stuff like the big box stores carry. This really makes a difference! Mannington AduraMax is a great product, as well as Shaw's lines of waterproof vinyl plank.

• Carol

I too live in Arizona, (Sun City) and I love my Karndean floor. I purchased it from a flooring and installation company. Our subfloor is concrete so leveling in places was necessary and the flooring was glued and is not recommended for self installation. Not the most inexpensive way to go but oh so worth it.

• Sandra M Iacono

Do you have to buy coretec flooring from a speciality store?

• Barbara

The vinyl planking I have is "Allure Ultra" from Home Depot. It is not glued. They call it "floating." Your sub floor must be level, then you snap it together and the joints are waterproof. I mop mine with water plus a little vinegar added and they have a glossy look.

• Barbara

Yes, did everything according to instructions. Mine has not buckled, but it will if it is 90+ deg. for an extended period of time.

• Misty

Just an FYI. If your leave the air off in your home you’re Sheetrock will lose eat and crack and you will develop Mold. learned from experience.

• Shui Haber

Vinyl can be hard on the back (when standing) compared to real wood.

• Kaye

Anything is hard on the back when standing, but cork is better for that. Save your $$$, go with vinyl, and buy a cork mat to stand on. Stylish, comfort, but most of all, budget savvy.

• NanaWells

I have the Allure Ultra in my bathrooms because of upkeep in Durban Oak I love it everyone thinks its real wood they don't believe me when I tell them its not. We liked it so much we are now putting it in the kitchen :)

• Haley White Crane

As an interior decorator specializing in flooring, I would recommend the waterproof vinyl plank! It's extremely durable and gives you the look of hardwood without the upkeep and worry about damaging it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE hardwood, but the options are nearly limitless nowadays and you can find some gorgeous vinyl planks. I would HIGHLY recommend getting it from a company who sells directly from the distributors and who can install it for you. Typically these places have a labor warranty that will cover any defects in workmanship, and you will get the full product warranty by purchasing from a dealer. The big box stores typically carry second quality products that could even be dangerous to your health. Support small business and you'll be very glad you did! Some products I have had much success with are Mannington's AduraMax line, Shaw's Premio and Classico line, HomeLegend/Eagle Creek's SyncoreX line, and not sure if this is available where you are, but the Novocore line from BPI (a local southern distributor.)

• Rco21403076

Thanx. I am at the opposite end of the country, but your advice will be very helpful when I am ready to redo my floors. I don't want hard surfaces such as marble or ceramic tile. Glad to hear vinyl is good.

• Natacia

I love this flooring this photo what is it?

• Cora

Who makes the gray gradiant subway tiles on the back splash of the kitchen in this picture?

• Courtney Byrum

Any idea what that blue paint color is?

• Carla Harrod Hampton

We have Manington Audra Max Luxury Vinyl Plan flooring and love it! It looks so much like real wood planks that you want to touch it to see, When you touch it, it has texture just like wood. It's got a built in padding and is thicker than the vinyl planks you find in the big box hardware stores. It is inter-locking and waterproof, lifetime guaranteed. With 11 grandchildren we needed durable and wanted beautiful and that is what we got. Go on line and look it up on Mannington's website!

• Brandi

What color is this? I love it!!

• Bill

What color is on the island?

• Vic21548492

I've just disovered this site and am happy I did! My husband and I will be building our 4th home and have just discovered plank vinyl flooring! We could not get over how realistic and how beautiful it is! We we concerned about putting vinyl in a fairly upscale house, but after reading these comments I think I'm sold! I also like the idea of no grout in the bathrooms and the whole house having one flooring surface! Thanks!!

• Kerri Berken Chiasson

I'd just like to know the paint colors

• Megan Kuc

This is a bit of a stretch, but does anyone know the exact color of the island cabinets? I've been looking everywhere for this color and no one has come close to having it.

• Chris Esten St Pierre

Can you please tell me the paint and color on the kitchen island? love it!!!

• Sandra emberton

Love the look and durability of the vinyl. Easy to clean and looks so good.

• Sam

Where can I find flooring just like this?

• Terri Lewis Lyons

I'm sorry I don't know which brands are better than others. As I suggested above I would go and visit some flooring stores and see what they offer. The quality brands are going to be thicker and probably cost more. It would depend on your budget and the application of the flooring (as to where it is going to be installed) to decide what quality you will want. I hope that helps/makes sense. Oh, also, if you are putting this is a place with high traffic you may want to steer clear of one with a higher gloss or smooth surface as those may have a tendency to scratch more easily and show more wear faster than one with a matte finish or is more textured. Good luck!

• Bhj31468667

we have vinyl 9in 6-foot planking all throughout our home . I was afraid of the vinyl in the beginning but it is amazing

• Robin Beasley

What color is this flooring and where can I purchase it?

• a resounding NO on engineered flooring. i just built our house and used heart pine floors throughout except the baths and laundry area. where moisture is (kitchens and bathrooms), no engineered product will last as well as something solid, and solid vinyl is impervious to water but water ruins solid wood. if you have a choice, as beautiful as real, solid wood is, a better choice for wet areas would be a high-end LVT.
    engineering flooring is nothing more than wood veneer on top of some sort of substrate. the better quality the engineered flooring, the more likely the veneer top is thicker and more resistant to puncture and scratches - but definitely not water. for kitchens and bath, go with waterproof surfaces like LVT or ceramic tile.

• Pam

Off topic! What color is your island. Love it!!

• Lisa

I’m trying to figure that out myself. Have you had any luck?

• Sue P.

Have you considered wood-look porcelain tiles? We used a Lowe's product, "Style Selections Natural Timber Ash" and it looks just like wood. Link below. It comes in several colors/"woods" if the Timber Ash is too rustic for your kitchen. Lowes should have it in stock so if there is a store near you, you could stop by to take a look. I think we even purchases one "board" to bring home to see how we liked it in our kitchen before we decided to use it.

• Patty S

Definitely the Vinyl plank. I did hardwood and would never do it again. Hard to take care of and my dog has scratched it un mercifully.

• Bmi32050820

i have vinyl plank and am sorry I did. It is very dull and looks dirty all the time. You cannot use products like mop n glow cause it voids the warranty which is ten years Big deal. If it looks cruddy anyway. So the moral is be sure u pay close attention to the shin. If I could do it over I would do porcelain tile that looks like planks. That is beautiful. Oh yea vinyl shows scratches

• Devans

We have luxury plank flooring and it the best decision we made! People think it’s wood all the time! You so get what you pay for so do t go for the bargain brands!

, We have luxury plank flooring and it the best decision we made People think it s wood all the time You so get what you pay for so do t go for the bargain brands
  • Mar32507417

When I first saw Pergo and engineered flooring, I thought “Who would put Formica on their floors?” MIL has Pergo. Looks cheap. She hates it. I have dark Oak hardwood floors. Only the real thing for me, but that’s just me. Just sayin’.