Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Tell me more about Chalk Paint

White Oak Studio DesignsMary InsanaWallsTreat Studio/ Kass Wilson
+2

I had never heard about chalk paint before I came on Hometalk. Can someone tell me more about it. Why do people use it in place of latex paint on furniture?I've heart you don't have to sand or prime before you use it. Is it primarily used when tou want a distressed look? What is the advantage and is it durable. I'd like to try it on something but not sure how to use it. So many questions but I'm sure all you Hometalkers will give me good answers.
  • 3po3

You nailed the biggest advantage of chalk paint, at least in my book - no sanding or priming. There are a lot of great posts about chalk paint here on Hometalk. Here are a couple of good primers: http://www.hometalk.com/527096/painting-with-chalk-paint http://www.hometalk.com/614352/how-to-paint-with-annie-sloan-chalk-paint-a-tutorial

• Terri J

Well Seve G, you beat me o giving Mary the same answers, but you can also Google chalk paint and find out more about it.

• I highly recommend taking a class on it. They claim that it does not require priming but that does not eliminate the need for proper prep work. The product is quite expensive and unless it is layered correctly you will not have durable results. They recommend sealing it with a solvent based wax. If you ever want to change it, the prep is VERY extensive. There are many products on the market that will give you the same visual results but also a better solution for future changes.

• Mary Insana

Thanks everyone, I be reading up on chalk paint soon :)

• White Oak Studio Designs

Mary, I paint furniture using chalk paint. I use chalk paint because I love that it is VOC free and eco friendly. I also love the unique look that it give to vintage furniture. A qt. is rather pricy BUT it goes a long way. I've painted up to 8 different piece from one can, so the cost per piece (depends on size of course) is around $10-$15 per piece. The look can be just stunning! Lots of blog out there to study. Visit these blogs; Miss Mustard Seed and Shizzle Design to begin. Also the Annie Sloan and CeCe Caldwell's chalk paint sites. You'll be a believer! I'm sharing some of my work for you to peruse. Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SWMichigan Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolioof chalk painted work)

q tell me more about chalk paint, painted furniture, Bedside table VOC free non toxic hand painted using chalk paint and hand finished with wax Drawer lined with my handmade plant papersq tell me more about chalk paint, painted furniture, Windsor chair painted in two tone manner using chalk paint This was a roadside rescue chairq tell me more about chalk paint, painted furniture, CeCe Caldwell s chalk paint two toned on a vintage cabinetq tell me more about chalk paint, painted furniture, Empire style tiger oak dresser transformed using chalk paint