DIY Bookshelf Door

We decided to make our downstairs closet into a bookshelf door. I've seen these around on pinterest, and was excited when we finally decided to pull the trigger on this project. This particular closet is really long and narrow, which is a good fit for a book shelf door, since the shelving takes away space in your actual closet.
We bought a solid core door and used a circular saw and jig saw to cut the door out.
We decided to make the shelves depth approximately 8"(this includes 3/4 plywood backing) and heights of 14" and 11.4" for the shelves Whatever you decide for your depth and heights of shelves be aware of how much space you have to work with in the closet and the closet frame, don't forget about how thick the wood is.
We added a door knob and extra hinges to keep it sturdy. We LOOVE the door! It's been installed for 9+ months and we've had zero problems with it.
For full details and pictures please visit the blog link below.

Ginger & The Huth

• Lonnie

I want to make 2 of these doors. Could you please send dimensions?

• Abishiktha Putta

Please post the backside picture and can you please let me know how to attached the bookshelf to the door? Please

• Kim

What happens when an angry toddler or teenage slams the door? Don't you think you should put some kind of "lip" to the shelves so that stuff doesn't fall or slide off when the door opens and closes.

• Dianna

I love this idea. But i think i would use plexiglas (thin stuff) and make the casing around the bookcase open and close.
  • Sid31093593

I think you did a great job.. Wish I was that tallented.