DIY Bookshelf Door

We decided to make our downstairs closet into a bookshelf door. I've seen these around on pinterest, and was excited when we finally decided to pull the trigger on this project. This particular closet is really long and narrow, which is a good fit for a book shelf door, since the shelving takes away space in your actual closet.
diy bookshelf door, doors, shelving ideas, storage ideas
We bought a solid core door and used a circular saw and jig saw to cut the door out.
We decided to make the shelves depth approximately 8"(this includes 3/4 plywood backing) and heights of 14" and 11.4" for the shelves Whatever you decide for your depth and heights of shelves be aware of how much space you have to work with in the closet and the closet frame, don't forget about how thick the wood is.
We added a door knob and extra hinges to keep it sturdy. We LOOVE the door! It's been installed for 9+ months and we've had zero problems with it.
For full details and pictures please visit the blog link below.
Ginger & The Huth

• Diane Judd

Why couldn't you buy a sheet of plexiglass that you could hinge to the front of it where those hinges are and add a magnetic closure so it would only close so far but yet the magnet would keep the door shut?

• Helen

While making this can I switch the hinges around so that we cannot see them?

• Pam

You can buy special hidden hinges for this purpose. If you just turn existing hinges around, the door won't open out.

• Lonnie

I want to make 2 of these doors. Could you please send dimensions?

• Dianna

I love this idea. But i think i would use plexiglas (thin stuff) and make the casing around the bookcase open and close.

• Sid31093593

I think you did a great job.. Wish I was that tallented.