DIY Bookshelf Door

We decided to make our downstairs closet into a bookshelf door. I've seen these around on pinterest, and was excited when we finally decided to pull the trigger on this project. This particular closet is really long and narrow, which is a good fit for a book shelf door, since the shelving takes away space in your actual closet.
We bought a solid core door and used a circular saw and jig saw to cut the door out.
We decided to make the shelves depth approximately 8"(this includes 3/4 plywood backing) and heights of 14" and 11.4" for the shelves Whatever you decide for your depth and heights of shelves be aware of how much space you have to work with in the closet and the closet frame, don't forget about how thick the wood is.
We added a door knob and extra hinges to keep it sturdy. We LOOVE the door! It's been installed for 9+ months and we've had zero problems with it.
For full details and pictures please visit the blog link below.

Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Ginger & The Huth

• KT

Hi !! this is beautifully done!! I was wondering where the detailed instructions were. I tried to click to see your blog but had no luck. Can you help me?

• Meanjeans
    Just now

Love the project, but Im very confused as you specifically said to use a solid core “slab” door, and the photos show one, but the material list calls out a 6 panel door which is not a slab door. Which did you actually use?

• Meanjeans
    Just now

Sorry I think I posted my question in comments instead of here.

Im wondering about the door you actually used. The materials list calls out a 6 panel solid wood door, but you said you used a solid core slab door. Im not sure how a 6 panel door would work here. A solid core slab door would be how I would see it working.

I really want to use your idea as I love it! I dont know what to say about the negative comments as I dont see any of the problems they saw. Afterall this seems not necessarily to be a door you use everyday, but it still gives you the option to open it if you want or need to. Love it, love it, love it! Thank you!