DIY Bookshelf Door

We decided to make our downstairs closet into a bookshelf door. I've seen these around on pinterest, and was excited when we finally decided to pull the trigger on this project. This particular closet is really long and narrow, which is a good fit for a book shelf door, since the shelving takes away space in your actual closet.
diy bookshelf door, doors, shelving ideas, storage ideas
We bought a solid core door and used a circular saw and jig saw to cut the door out.
We decided to make the shelves depth approximately 8"(this includes 3/4 plywood backing) and heights of 14" and 11.4" for the shelves Whatever you decide for your depth and heights of shelves be aware of how much space you have to work with in the closet and the closet frame, don't forget about how thick the wood is.
We added a door knob and extra hinges to keep it sturdy. We LOOVE the door! It's been installed for 9+ months and we've had zero problems with it.
For full details and pictures please visit the blog link below.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 14, 2018 10:11 PM - More info
Ginger & The Huth

• Pam

can you post a picture of the inside??

• Diane Judd

Why couldn't you buy a sheet of plexiglass that you could hinge to the front of it where those hinges are and add a magnetic closure so it would only close so far but yet the magnet would keep the door shut?

• Helen

While making this can I switch the hinges around so that we cannot see them?

• Dianna

I love this idea. But i think i would use plexiglas (thin stuff) and make the casing around the bookcase open and close.

• Sid31093593
    32 minutes ago

I think you did a great job.. Wish I was that tallented.