Carol hooper
Carol hooper
  • Hometalker
  • Camillus, NY
Asked on Oct 26, 2012

My xmas decorations smell of mold. Should i throw them away? i had them in plastic bins. You can even see the mold.

Roi3235158DORLISMag250365
+6

Answered

9 answers
  • Mary Insana
    on Oct 26, 2012

    I would think the best thing would be to throw them away. I know that would be hard especially if they hold memories. Something I found about mold: How do molds affect people? Molds can trigger asthma episodes in sensitive individuals with asthma. People with asthma should avoid contact with or exposure to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions.. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs.

  • Dee W
    on Oct 27, 2012

    I agree, I think you should maybe throw your storage container out as well. You might want to find a different place to put the new ones also.

  • Carol, depends upon what the decorations are made of if you should discard them or not. If they can be washed in very hot water and detergent, then that will work fine. Just be sure they are dried well once done. My real concern is why if they were in a plastic bin that they got moldy in the first place. If the bins were tight then something was damp when they were sealed from last years holiday. Make sure they can be covered tightly, and are not stored in a damp environment that allows mold to grow. If the bins are in good shape, you can clean them as stated before. Otherwise simply discard them and purchase new bins that seal tightly.

  • Carol hooper
    on Oct 27, 2012

    Thank you ....and yes i wrapped them in newspaper too before i put them in bins, but the basement was always wet and damp..i lived in an apartment last year with no other storage...Some of the things are wreaths,lights,and ceramic snowmen.

  • Jeanette S
    on Oct 27, 2012

    I have never heard of this before! But then sometimes things happen to our "treasures" and we have no choice but to discard them. You certainly would not want to keep them had they been in a sewer leak! So sorry for your loss, but think of this as an opportunity to look to the future and look for nothing but good memories for your entire family!

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Oct 27, 2012

    The newspaper is also a "food" for the mold. You might want to look in to getting a better padding product. Plastic bubble wrap perhaps? paper will pull moisture from the air as it is hygroscopic...Plastic Easter "grass" or Styrofoam packing peanuts would be another option. If using the peanuts be sure there are not the new eco -friendly kind made from soy and cellulose. To test this hold a peanut under some warm water and rub it...if it dissolves it is the cellulose kind and do not use them. as a long term project look in to getting the dampness corrected in your basement...water sealing, dehumidifier etc.

  • Mag250365
    on Nov 9, 2013

    I don't think there is anything, not even charcoal that would remove the odour.

  • DORLIS
    on Aug 26, 2015

    to keep mold at bay, use "Damp Rid" a product that is made for basements. You hang up a bag and when it has absorbed all it can, pitch it and get another one.

  • Roi3235158
    on Jan 11, 2016

    Cheap white bakery bread fresher the better.Open the plastic bag put the bread in the bins with your decorations and close the lid. it may take more than one time If the grey old spots from the mold spores remain and will not wash off with vinegar and water they are not saveable .If there is black mold throw them out unless they are washable. Do not handle them without a mask Mold can grow and live in your lungs. Hope this helps.

Your comment...