Louise
Louise

Before I bring in this houseplant for the cold season, would it be beneficial to rearrange it in the pot to make the

Melissa KKMS WoodworksLouise
+6

main "stem" stand more upright? (I know it must not be called a stem, so what IS its name?) I nearly have to because it's leaning so much I'd just about have to lean it against a wall. It's had these tendencies for years. Is there a reason and what's the best way to deal with it? It's over 30 yrs old so I want to keep it.
before i bring in this houseplant for the cold season would it be beneficial to, gardening
  • KMS Woodworks

Given the size of that plant and the size of that pot ...you are in serious need of re-planting into a much bigger pot. it you move this in /out each season get a wheeled planter base. This smaller pot my be light enough now but when you upgrade it will get a bit heavier.

• Louise

When I took the photo I started wondering the size of the pot might contribute to its problem. I'll repot it today. Thanks. AND I should straighten it up, right?

• Louise

I'm not sure what you mean by "the support might come apart."

• KMS Woodworks

a small metal u shaped fence post would be sturdy...and not risk rotting like a wood post.

That plant is definitely in need of an upgrade in pot size. Feel free to make it more upright when you do, but you may well need a stake to keep it that way.

• Shi115440

Definitely time for a new container!

• Louise

But if I put it in a new container, I won't get my money's worth on this one! I've only used it about 25 yrs or so. :-))

• KMS Woodworks

you can always save the pot for one of its smaller cousins...then get another 25 yers out of it...50 years is my limit for a plastic pot.

• Melissa K

A few years ago, a friend talked me into leaving this plant outside in the ground for the winter. Although it did survive (and I divided it i the process) It is in a poor area and I plan to dig it up and bring it back in the for winter. Its been outside for about three years.