Louise
Louise

Last fall I planted some heuchera and now would like to divide this light green one. I found out how on YouTube but

Douglas HuntLouiseJorge
+2

on one video the woman doing the speaking was wearing a warm coat so it seemed like it was fall and she said they can be divided "between now and spring." But on the other video the man said to divide them in the spring. Which should I do?
last fall i planted some heuchera and now would like to divide this light green one, gardening
  • CAROL H

I would wait until spring after threat of frost to divide.

• Jorge

I have done it in fall and spring it seems the ones I did in fall look better, just make sure to give them plenty of water, a thick layer of mulch 3"

Louise, I don't think that heuchera is really big enough to divide. I think you'd get much better results if you gave it another year in the ground in that spot. But they can be divided in spring or fall. I think fall is a more forgiving time than spring because it can heat up quickly then before the plant has had a chance to establish roots.

• Louise

My first thought was to buy another 2 or 3 plants just like the light green one, but I'm having trouble finding them at places I go. :-((

You might wait until spring, when the selection at nurseries would be at its peak. I believe that one is called "Citronelle." If you have a local nursery you frequent, you could ask them to make sure it is on their spring order list.