Louise
Louise

Have some irises that hardly bloom anymore. I want to move them to a place that will be a little sunnier, altho my yard

Jaye LDouglas HuntLouise
+2

is NOT very sunny. Can I do the transplant now or is it better to do it another time?
have some irises that hardly bloom anymore i want to move them to a place that will, flowers, gardening
  • Ellen H

For us in the southeast, now is a good time. The iris can possibly be re-established by spring and have a chance to bloom. They can also be moved in the spring after blooming.

• Jeanette S

I used to grow iris, but have gotten away from them. They will grow almost anywhere and bloom really good. I have always heard they need to be separated occasionally as they get choked out and the rizzone (sp) has to be out of the ground. If you have had them a long time, this is probably your problem.

• Louise

Yes, I've had them many years. Hopefully, by moving and separating, spring will show some nice blooms.

Ellen is right, this is a very god time to move your irises. Put them where they get as much light as possible, and make sure not to plant the rhizomes too deeply.

• Jaye L

Transplanting them now is good. However, whenever I've transplanted some irises, I didn't get a bloom until the next year so keep that in mind. Don't give up on them if you don't seem them blooming right away!