Board and Batten With Leftover Faux Wood Blinds

$0

A trip to ReStore and my lack of funds for a subway tile backsplash gave me the idea for this Board and Batten with Faux Wood Blinds. I needed new blinds and scored big time at ReStore paying only $12 for two sets. After I shortened them, I ended up with a few extra pieces. Nothing gets wasted in my home, so I used the blinds to create a kitchen backsplash.
I love the simplicity of this backsplash and it goes well with the dark cabinets, which I stained with Java Gel stain.
The great thing about faux wood blinds, NO saw required. Just use a utility knife to cut.
Here's a before shot. Pretty bland, don't you think?
Here's an after shot. It's not a drastic change - just looks fresh and clean.
Second great thing about faux wood blinds, NO nails and nail gun required. I used liquid nails and leftover white paint. First I painted the wall. Then I measured and cut the blinds. Next, I painted the blinds. Once everything dried, I used liquid nails to secure them to the wall.
This project was one of those 'spur of the moment' things. I already had everything I needed in my garage.
My cost for this back splash was zero, but if you needed to buy the supplies (assuming you shop at Restore), your total would be around $20 (blinds, paint, liquid nails).

Arlo Blinds, Oak 2-Inches Customized Real Wood Horizontal Blind - Size:...

Sabine Schmidt

• Jenny Wright Montford

Interesting....I wonder, if you had enough, if you could do a faux shiplap?

• Patricia Mosher

Ireally want a faux brick look in my kitchen, without paying a huge amount of money for materials. Have any ideas?

• Missy

Just get maybe 3 different colors of small cans of paint and primer and paint and cut. Put them together in a brick pattern.. Ive never done it but it can't be that hard

• Katherine

I have hung on to the extra slats wondering how they could be used. Thank you!

• Karla McCullough

I really want to try this

• Diana Deiley

Well now you did it.  We're all running to the thrift stores and yard sales to buy old faux wood blinds! What a fabulous look and absolutely so budget friendly. Thanks for sharing your fantastic project.