Diva of DIY
Diva of DIY
  • Kansas City, MO

Upcycled Project | Chandelier Bird Feeder

The Diva of DIY, Leanne Lee, is an upcycler. She loves turning pieces that would be typically be found in the junk yard or garbage bin into beautiful, functional pieces. That's exactly what this Bird Feeder is!
upcycled project chandelier bird feeder, crafts, outdoor living, pets animals, repurposing upcycling
When your imagination runs free you'll come up with ideas like this! Most people see this ugly, outdated brass chandelier as something that needs to be pitched. But, Leanne saw a beautiful bird feeder and created it!
So this is the "junk" that The Diva of DIY had to work with! While at one time this was a welcomed site, today it's pretty ugly, right?!?! Leanne can't let ugly hang around long so she had to get going on this piece that she BOUGHT at a garage sale for $1.00.
Yes, she PAID for that ugliness because she knew the greatness that could come out of upcycling this piece!
For this project a fun color needed to be used because the bird feeder was going to be hung out back. It adds a nice pop of color in the winter when the leaves have fallen.
The color I used was Seaside by Rust-Oluem. Isn't it pretty?
Believe it or not, the birds flock to this bird feeder (when there's no one there snapping pictures!). I love to sit in the morning and watch them peck at the bird food....who knew birds ate so much?!?
For step by step instructions on how to create your own bird feeder visit the link below.
Diva of DIY

• Pgilbreath

I admit I have not read all comments so if this has been mentioned and addressed I missed it....While I can appreciate this creative project I do not believe that the object pictured at completion is the exact object that is pictured at the start. This I believe is because the beginning object has only 1 row of bended arms / lights and the finished one has two and the middle looks to have several more bumps than that of the original. My complaint if you will is pleas show all steps and or materials for completion, otherwise it's like sharing a recipe and leaving out a key ingredient, chances are you will not get same results as anticipated. Thanks I do like your upscale useful idea.

• Beverly Hullender

@Pgilbreath I see where your concern is that it may not be the EXACT light fixture initially seen in the picture, however, whether it's one tier, two tiers or even three tiers, the same principle applies here. Take an old, tarnished, scarred and otherwise ugly fixture and make something fun, colorful and quite useful out of it. Simply strip off any electrical wiring, paint, add "cups" to hold the birdseed, plants or whatever and create something vibrant, useful and unexpected (not to mention absolutely adorable!)

• Marianne

I really love your bird feeder...I bought a chandelier at a garage sale for $1.00 as well..i made it into a solar light ...but when I get tired of it ..I am doing this...such a pretty color...love it..