Asked on Jan 10, 2015

I need some ideas please

Stacy TylerGlenda Duchak (Tootsie)Rosie ASE
+33

I have this piece that I love but I'm not sure what to do with it. I would love some ideas. I was thinking maybe an arrangement of some kind but maybe some other ideas are out there? Also- if I do an arrangement, is there a standard for how high and wide the arrangement should be compared to the piece? I put a can beside it so you all can see how tall it is. Thanks!
  • Swan Road Designs
    Swan Road Designs

That is a very nice container and will lend itself to all sorts of arrangements. You might consider using a styrofoam block that can be removed, with the flowers still in it, so you can rotate your arrangements by the season. I've done that with a very large antique bowl and have arrangements for spring, summer, fall, winter and Christmas. The flowers decorate our dining room table. As for the dimensions, generally, the height of the arrangement is about one and a half times the height of the container. Width is not much of an issue, but don't try to make it so wide it will look top heavy. Begin with your largest flowers first and build around them. Work in odd numbers and rotate the container as you work because this type of container can be viewed in full 360 fashion. You can incorporate wispy fillers and even add trailing or tendril-like pieces to fall over the edge of the urn. When it comes to choosing color for your creation, if you have already determined where you want to place it, look around that space and see what colors will blend and/or compliment. If it will go in an area that is a bit drab or dark, vibrant colors will help perk up the area. Just play around. You'll settle on something that is pleasing to your eye.

• Val Maine
    Val Maine

I have two outdoor urns like this and I place a terracotta bowl with planted assorted succulents in them, as the weather is hot here in Australia.

• MaryStLouis
    MaryStLouis

Generally speaking, a flower or branch arrangement looks best when it's at least 1 1/2 times the height of a vase and at least twice as wide. If you google flower arrangements on the web you'll get a feel for the balance needed to look professional.

• Cynthia E
    Cynthia E

You can also make this into a gorgeous fountain instructions here.. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0%2C%2C20192998%2C00.html

q ideas to make a flower arrangement in an urn, container gardening, flowers, gardening, home decor
  • Victoria
    Victoria

HI, lovely urn you have there... I would create a topiary arrangement like this one. I think it would go with the style of the urn and the colour as well. You could put it by a window indoors or outdoors if it doesn't freeze overnight. Good luck!

• Renee Vadnai
    Renee Vadnai

add a glass circle for a table and fill with something nice like stones or dried flowers, pine cones....

• Carole
    Carole

I think one third base and two thirds plants is the way to go. Unless you want to do the succulent thing in which case OK to go lower. I did a floristry course many years back now and I think that is the ratio or container to plants.

• Fran McCarty
    Fran McCarty

Turn it upside down and place a candle on it. Decorate the bottom with some silk greenery, tulle etc.

• Debra
    Debra

I like Renee's idea of adding the glass to make a table out of it, I think that would look gorgeous

• B. Enne
      B. Enne

@Debra It is sitting on a table, so I think it may be too small to make a table out of it.

• Gail Salminen
    Gail Salminen

@Rachelle Morris I like the idea of the topiary, but you could also do a vine like ivy. Plant in its own pot and then insert into the urn - allows for easier maintenance of the plant. With a vine you could add some decorative supports for it to grow upwards while allowing some to trail down the urn. I had an ivy that I did this with and used to bring out onto the patio in the summer (Eastern Ontario). Let us know what you do and if possible update with a pic. Thanks for posting.

• Karen patterson
    Karen patterson

I have one of mine like yours on an old dicinare book and old doile and then I put it on to of this on my kitcen table. it looks great. when I have people here I fill it up with flowers or goodies.

• Jo Anne
    Jo Anne

I had one like this and kept kitchen utensils in it (on the counter beside the cooktop)

• Yvonne Day Aka Miss Ruby
    Yvonne Day Aka Miss Ruby

Depending on your look that you are going for, you could make a jewelry topiary by using a cone form, cover in fabric such as burlap and put earrings, broaches, strands of pearls, ect like you would decorate a tree. You could also put a glass top on it so you could use it to place some pretties into and then cover all with one of the very popular glass domes. This way you can change it for the seasons. When you do something like the later, you can put a small light inside shining up. It makes a beautiful display. I did that when we lost a loved one and put there picture inside the globe with their rosary beads. Let us know what you did! Love to see the ideas on here.

• Brenda Wilson
    Brenda Wilson

Roll up some decorative hand towels or wash cloths, add some pretty soaps and set in a bath or powder room

• Terry Lane
    Terry Lane

For out side or patio fill half with styrofoam and half with dirt. Cuz these things get heavy. Plant with a draping plant around edges and a little taller topiary in the center. Also I like the glass circle top and fill the inside with sand and add shells and starfish ( if u live by the ocean.

• Cherri Cole
    Cherri Cole

Add a glass bowl with a fish in it

• Jamoschini
    Jamoschini

I like the idea of a Boxwood Topiary Tower. You can find directions on how to make one on onemoretimeevents.com

• Rosalie chow
    Rosalie chow

This can be a centerpiece for you dinning table. Put a decorative plate and decorate the plate with colorful fruits.

• Teo
    Teo

Cred ca are cam 30 cm,la aceasta inaltime eu as face un aranjament florar de cactusi,nu ocupa mult loc.nu le trebuie multa apa si asezati langa calculator absoarbe radiatile electromagnetice emanate de acesta.

• Suzanne Phillips
    Suzanne Phillips

I wish I had that urn, I saw a great do it yourself for making these into end tables, by adding a terracotta dish on top and painting them (the one I saw was shiny black). If I can find 2 the right height and cheep enought I will make them for my bedroom. Here is my pin on this idea http://www.pinterest.com/pin/60165344997986777/

• CK
    CK

How to use it all depends on your style. I have one similar and right now it just has faux lavender in it because my LR has a lot of French influence. The other accessories you use around it too will help make it 'right' for your room.

• Kitblu
    Kitblu

Consider seasonal arrangements. In the spring, pussy willows and cat tails, no water; they will dry and still look good. A pot (bowl) of shamrocks for St. Pat's. A pumpkin or jack o'lantern for Hallowe'en. A tray of peeps or chocolate bunnies for Easter. A Styrofoam snow person for winter. A bowl of coloured leaves in the fall. Fresh flowers in water in the summer.

• Denise
    Denise

How about a tabletop fountain?

• Rachel
    Rachel

how about a birdbath

• Laurie Powell
    Laurie Powell

It would look pretty with a gazing ball. You could even dry brush the high spots to make the design 'pop' more. I would try copper by using some craft acrylic paint. And if you don't like it simply wash it off. :)

• Gerri
    Gerri

How about an outdoor umbrella table? Put in umbrella, fill it with concrete, put on some sort of flat top. It it won't tip over!

• B. Enne
      B. Enne

@Gerri It is too small unfortunately. It is sitting on a table in the pic.

• Jo Anne
    Jo Anne

Use on kitchen counter to hold spoons and other utensils.

• Kay Anderton Caldwell
    Kay Anderton Caldwell

I do floral arrangements & the recommended height would be about 2-3 times the height of the container.

• Debbie
    Debbie

One idea is to fit it with a small artificial Christmas tree. Hobby Lobby has big sales often on trees, etc. Also, you can spray a branch and secure it in the container, add moss to cover bottom of branch and decorate it for various holidays, celebrations, football parties...sky's the limit.

• Rosie ASE
    Rosie ASE

Wow, what a nice pottery. From where you purchased it. I have also the same design, pottery which I bought from architecturalstoneelement.com. I am using it for my interior plant. It really looks so beautiful & I think you will get comfort by using it for planting & flowering.

• Glenda Duchak (Tootsie)
    Glenda Duchak (Tootsie)

I put a piece of glass over the top of mine and used it as a small table!

• Stacy Tyler
    Stacy Tyler

I had a vase that was pure ivory (found at Michael's for super cheap) just that size and I painted it a distressed Bronze (the pic of the one sitting on the stool) - I made that arrangement for a girlfriend's house. - the second one is a smaller than the first, but in the same tone of distressed bronze that I also created for a girlfriend's auction. I do like the suggestion from Jo Anne in Irving TX for the utensil holder - great idea!

, Ivory vase much like yours I found on clearance at Michael s for 10 I painted to a distressed bronze The flower arrangement I made for my girlfriend s new house I had her pick the colors she liked and this is what I came up with, This arrangement was for a silent auction that a girlfriend of mine does Again I had her choose the colors she liked and we found this vase at hobby lobby