Diana Wearing
Diana Wearing
  • Oregon, WI

Sisal Rope Lamp Shade Makeover

Covering a plain jane lamp shade with sisal rope turned a cheap lamp from boring to beautiful for a lot less than the cost of a new shade ~ cheap & easy my favorite kind of project!
sisal rope lamp shade makeover, crafts, lighting, repurposing upcycling
I was looking for lamps (the cheaper the better) when we remodeled our basement, I ended up with a set of two table, one floor and one accent lamp from Target I paid around $40 for ~ you know the kind, you can’t believe they could fit all the pieces one box yet somehow they do.
The plain white shades weren’t going to give me the rustic cabin look I was going for and new shades would cost more than the lamps so I gathered some supplies & got to work ~ I started from the bottom and attached the sisal to the shade with a hot glue gun ~ around & around & around & around, it was easy just took some time (and fingerprints)
I ended up with the look I was going for without needing to spend a lot! Win!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Christi Scott Fillhard

Since it has been a little while since you have done your lamps, how is the hot glue holding up? I was going to do this same thing to a lamp and then my husband thought the lamp would get to hot and melt the glue so I am curious if you have had any problems. Thanks, Christi

• Diana Wearing

They are exactly the same as the day I made them! No issues at all with anything coming loose or glue melting. :-)

• Christi Scott Fillhard

thank you Diana, I guess I will be diying my lampshades :)

• Rich

I really like the idea. This is the look I want for the two lamps in my man-cave. Great 👍 and

so easy.

Rich

• Kat13684468

Any advice on how to neatly finish the top of the shade with the sisal?

• Diana Wearing

I found it was best to start at the top of the shade and work down - easier to get a clean line around the top :-)

• Kat13684468

That makes great sense...the post indicated that you started from the bottom. Thanks for clarifying...I am going to try this on my dining room chandelier fabric shades!

• Diana Wearing

Oops! I actually did 4 shades I must have figured it out after the 1st one. Good luck with yours!

• Mary Jillson

Is the lamp shade very dark?

• Cud15744056

Christi said thanks and I guess I will be "diying" my shades. Not sure what that ment ? Thanks but no thanks ? I can't wait to try this. I might even try to change the rope color as I go. We'll see.
    • Trish Sykes

Initially, I also thought Christi was saying 'dyeing' (as in colour change) but, if you look closer, I think she's saying 'D.I.Y.ing' as in doing the same as Diana!!

• Trish Sykes

Thanks, Diana! I want to try this for ceiling light shades - presumably it would work just as well? Now to see if I can source some lime green sisal rope.....